Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Indeed. It is possible to make decent guesses however.

Re Lallana, I think it is quite possible that he got the highest wage in the squad. Signed from Liverpool (and there must have been other teams interested), lots of caps and titles under his belt and no transfer fee. Would surprise me a lot if he is not one of the best paid players.

Money well spent. Who said you can't buy experience?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
We got Lallana on a free.

£100k a week for 3 years - £3.6M

Webster

£20M transfer fee - 4 years at £50k a week - £22.4M minus whatever we sell him for / if we do

All relative

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
Yeah I really don't mind... Lallana was very important in 20/21 and I think he still got more to give, though going to be tough for him to regain his place in the starting eleven.

He strikes me as the sort who wants to go into management. I feel we'll still benefit from his experience, even he never kicks another ball for us. He may even step into Graham's size 9s when the bearded one eventually moves on, in 3 or 4 years.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
He strikes me as the sort who wants to go into management. I feel we'll still benefit from his experience, even he never kicks another ball for us. He may even step into Graham's size 9s when the bearded one eventually moves on, in 3 or 4 years.

When Dunk and Maupay were doing some meeja together (maybe that 'I Have/Not' thing), they both agreed that Lallana was "teacher's pet".

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Webster

£20M transfer fee - 4 years at £50k a week - £22.4M minus whatever we sell him for / if we do

All relative

£100K a week is £5M a year, so that's £15M over three years; 4 years @ £50K a week = £10M. You haven't ever had a job in Palarse's accounts office, have you?

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016

Webster

All relative

If you think free transfers are really free then you're badly mistaken. They may be slightly cheaper, but a transfer fee is still paid. Its just that its deposited into their own bank account and called a signing on fee.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

That was explicitly quoted when he joined. It was a 3 year deal with a view to a coaching role.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton

Webster

All relative

Errrr???

£100K a week is £5M a year, so that's £15M over three years; 4 years @ £50K a week = £10M. You haven't ever had a job in Palarse's accounts office, have you?

That's my calculation.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
With ALL of the first team squad earning more in a week than most on here earn in a year what's the fascination?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Marc Cucurella *SINGS on a five-year contract*

If you think free transfers are really free then you're badly mistaken. They may be slightly cheaper, but a transfer fee is still paid. Its just that its deposited into their own bank account and called a signing on fee.

Sure - but I bet he wasn’t paid even a £10M signing on fee. His overall deal value will be significantly less than most of our squad

Point still stands for the overall deal it’s not really that much. I bet Zequiri will cost us more all in - with far less appearances

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Sure - but I bet he wasn’t paid even a £10M signing on fee. His overall deal value will be significantly less than most of our squad

Point still stands for the overall deal it’s not really that much. I bet Zequiri will cost us more all in - with far less appearances

You sure about that? Your financial calculations haven't exactly enhanced your credibility in this discussion! I'm not ITK either - but I wouldn't mind a small flutter that he might well have got a £10M signing on fee - that would have enabled his weekly wages to stay reasonablly close to our wage structure.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Reworking the Lallana cost calcs, for example:

3 years at reportedly £90k/week = £14m
Signing on fee £5m?
Employers national insurance £2.7m

Total cost to the club £21.7m

Literally worth every penny imo, in the unrealistic world of football money that is (TBs money to be specific). DJ strollabout was £15m and £2m a year for 4 years = £23m

Even another £10m ontop he'd have been a good deal, brings a massive amount of experience and skills to the team. Same as Welbz.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Literally worth every penny imo, in the unrealistic world of football money that is (TBs money to be specific). DJ strollabout was £15m and £2m a year for 4 years = £23m

Even another £10m ontop he'd have been a good deal, brings a massive amount of experience and skills to the team. Same as Welbz.

Totally agree.

I went back and read reports when he signed. Several other EPL clubs tried to sign him, so he would’ve commanded a signing on fee. It was also widely mentioned that his know-how at the highest level (CL and international) would raise standards.

It has. He was often part of our better performances, driving us forward, until imho Mac Allister, Mwepu et al have come of age, latterly fulfilling a similar role.

Great move by the club.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

No chance IMO

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Indeed. It is possible to make decent guesses however.

Re Lallana, I think it is quite possible that he got the highest wage in the squad. Signed from Liverpool (and there must have been other teams interested), lots of caps and titles under his belt and no transfer fee. Would surprise me a lot if he is not one of the best paid players.

Fans and the media are obsessed with weekly wage and always include it in any transfer deal as if it's a weekly pay check.
The reality is that the contract will have a number of factors that offer a player an overall financial package.
Any agent worth his salt, will be negotiating the best package.

Leicester were reportedly interested in him but would only offer a 2 year contract. We offered 3 years.
The extra year gives him the ability to earn additional wages/bonuses and extend his personal sponsorship deals.
This is likely to have made the overall package more appealing.

The weekly wage metric does not have to be the driving force for him signing.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Reworking the Lallana cost calcs, for example:

3 years at reportedly £90k/week = £14m
Signing on fee £5m?
Employers national insurance £2.7m

Total cost to the club £21.7m

Presumably all players are contractors and not employees?
Do the club have an NI responsibility for contractors?

And please don't continue the myth of £90k pw.
It is utter bullshit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here