[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Simple question. If or perhaps i should say when Cuca goes to City(or Newcastle) if rumours become true, what would be an acceptable price for NSC posters?....this thread posters. 50 million seems to be the starting price but 1 journo thinks 50 million will be cheap and an absolute bargain. 75 mil being banded as what he's really worth!! I would be happy with that that's for sure although would much rather Cuca stay.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Simple question. If or perhaps i should say when Cuca goes to City(or Newcastle) if rumours become true, what would be an acceptable price for NSC posters?....this thread posters. 50 million seems to be the starting price but 1 journo thinks 50 million will be cheap and an absolute bargain. 75 mil being banded as what he's really worth!! I would be happy with that that's for sure although would much rather Cuca stay.

It’ll be undisclosed anyway so we’ll never know for sure :shrug: Tony isn’t going to let this one go easily

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003

£1billion!

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
The price in my head seems to be moving up. If he had one year left on his contract I’d say £40M, but Bloom is going to want at least double his money on the other years left, £15M / 5 = £3M x 2 = £6M x 3 more = £18M. That takes you to £58M. Factor in City and it could be as high as £70M. I think I initially started at £50M but the price has now gone up.

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Albion fans overvalue Albion player shocker.
Bloom's got a tough decision to make on this one. He obviously wants a big fee for a top player with four years left on his contract. But he has also developed an image of the club being a conveyor belt for young talent around the world and a stepping stone to a CL club. That's a fine balancing act.
My hunch is that the transfer will happen, if City are prepared to pay somewhere between £50m and £60m.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

OK, for the benefit of some on NSC, I am not claiming to know better than the club, nor am I telling the club what they should do!

In answer to the OP, my (personal) price would be £60M. Would settle for a bit less, but would be disappointed with anything less than £50M. Comparing him to other defenders sold by English clubs to the big six, he is better than, for instance, Ake and Wan Bissaka, both of whom went for around the £50M mark; it would be a nonsense to sell him for a lower price than those two, especially with four years left on his contract.

Besides, £50M is about what Manchester City have paid for their defenders to date - and don't tell me that Pep is looking to buy in a worse player than those already on the books!

I would also be disappointed if the deal was done with a make-weight coming the other way. Makeweights in these circumstances almost invariably have their value over-stated - basically a face-saver deal for both clubs

el punal

Albion fans overvalue Albion player shocker.
Bloom's got a tough decision to make on this one. He obviously wants a big fee for a top player with four years left on his contract. But he has also developed an image of the club being a conveyor belt for young talent around the world and a stepping stone to a CL club. That's a fine balancing act.
My hunch is that the transfer will happen, if City are prepared to pay somewhere between £50m and £60m.

Maybe, just maybe, Uncle Tony will play the Dale Stephens or Ben White card as he did against Burnley and Leeds respectively. That being ‘He Is Not For Sale’. Tony Bloom is an ambitious football club owner with the team sitting pretty in the Premier League. I have no doubt that he is seeking more than a 9th place finish - perhaps a qualification for a European competition? If that is the case, and to achieve that, would suggest that he will want to retain his best players.

Time will tell of course but I do hope Cu-Cu remains with us for the foreseeable future.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Presumably all players are contractors and not employees?
Do the club have an NI responsibility for contractors?

And please don't continue the myth of £90k pw.
It is utter bullshit.

Everyone else here were talking about £100k! But I moderated that to the £90k mentioned variously in the media. Yes, we all (hopefully) realise that we'll never know the wage figure for all but the highest paid director.

All players will be employees, all taxes subject to PAYE, class 1 and 2 National Insurance.

Some EPL and La Liga players with image rights tried to argue that those monies received into tax haven bank accounts via/by clubs, shouldn't be taxed in the UK or Spain on receipt in the same way as earnings. HMRC were attacking this for UK cases.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You've missed off employer pension payments

Interesting point.

The club don't make them for players, going by the accounts. Just £434k of employers contributions paid per annum on a payroll of £108m, £64k of which went into PB's pension pot. I suspect they paid stakeholders pension contributions for all non-playing staff.

Players make their own arrangements, plus there's a PFA scheme with £60m of assets.

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Interesting point.

The club don't make them for players, going by the accounts. Just £434k of employers premiums paid per annum on a payroll of £108m, £64k of which went into PB's pension pot. I suspect they paid stakeholders pension contributions for all non-playing staff.

Players make their own arrangements, plus there's a PFA scheme with £60m of assets.

Maybe I'm mistaken, or it works differently for football players, but I thought every employer had to offer a pension scheme nowadays. Agreed an employee can opt out but the scheme has to be there.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Maybe I'm mistaken, or it works differently for football players, but I thought every employer had to offer a pension scheme nowadays. Agreed an employee can opt out but the scheme has to be there.

I didn't realise too, until you asked. In the back of my mind, I remembered the PFA scheme.

I'm sure the savvy players make their own arrangements too. £60m of assets covering every player who's ever played past or present for any of the 92 clubs, represents a tiny proportion of the circa £30b gross wages paid.

You've explained the pension rule correctly.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom

£101 million. Break Shitty transfer record.

In answer to the OP, my (personal) price would be £60M. Would settle for a bit less, but would be disappointed with anything less than £50M. Comparing him to other defenders sold by English clubs to the big six, he is better than, for instance, Ake and Wan Bissaka, both of whom went for around the £50M mark; it would be a nonsense to sell him for a lower price than those two, especially with four years left on his contract. Yes, 60 million will be acceptable for me. Less than 50 is unthinkable compared to other players of similar standard and prices paid before.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
In answer to the OP, my (personal) price would be £60M. Would settle for a bit less, but would be disappointed with anything less than £50M. Comparing him to other defenders sold by English clubs to the big six, he is better than, for instance, Ake and Wan Bissaka, both of whom went for around the £50M mark; it would be a nonsense to sell him for a lower price than those two, especially with four years left on his contract. Yes, 60 million will be acceptable for me. Less than 50 is unthinkable compared to other players of similar standard and prices paid before.
Well, I have to say that is f***ing up,quotations at a level that even BG couldn't match! Even managed to get as many thumbsups as the original! :facepalm:

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
OK, for the benefit of some on NSC, I am not claiming to know better than the club, nor am I telling the club what they should do!

In answer to the OP, my (personal) price would be £60M. Would settle for a bit less, but would be disappointed with anything less than £50M. Comparing him to other defenders sold by English clubs to the big six, he is better than, for instance, Ake and Wan Bissaka, both of whom went for around the £50M mark; it would be a nonsense to sell him for a lower price than those two, especially with four years left on his contract.

Besides, £50M is about what Manchester City have paid for their defenders to date - and don't tell me that Pep is looking to buy in a worse player than those already on the books!

I would also be disappointed if the deal was done with a make-weight coming the other way. Makeweights in these circumstances almost invariably have their value over-stated - basically a face-saver deal for both clubs

Both Ake and AWB had their prices boosted by the English/Homegrown rules though, Cucurealla doesn’t.

Although I do agree with the general point. 55/60 seems like where it’ll end up IMO. Maybe 50+ with additional clauses to do with international caps, titles won etc.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Who would you rather have in our team - Ben White, or Cucu?

That's not a tough question for me, I'd much rather have Cucu, and selling for £50m would be very disappointing.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

There's somethig funny going on here ................................

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports