Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Presumably all players are contractors and not employees?
Do the club have an NI responsibility for contractors?

And please don't continue the myth of £90k pw.
It is utter bullshit.

No, they are employees which is why there has been so much fuss about seperating out "image rights" which have been used by some clubs to get round tax law.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
No, they are employees which is why there has been so much fuss about seperating out "image rights" which have been used by some clubs to get round tax law.

Genuinely surprised at that.
Do the club have to pay pension contributions too?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Reworking the Lallana cost calcs, for example:

3 years at reportedly £90k/week = £14m
Signing on fee £5m?
Employers national insurance £2.7m

Total cost to the club £21.7m

You've missed off employer pension payments

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
i think by law they probably do but any such scheme would be very limiting (in terms of contribution limits) for players with such short careers. (assuming any of them bother with pensions of course!)

Ok.
But genuinely surprised about NI.
Do our published wage costs, include NI or is that under a separate line item in the accounts?

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
i think by law they probably do but any such scheme would be very limiting (in terms of contribution limits) for players with such short careers. (assuming any of them bother with pensions of course!)

I think it’s slightly different on pensions where players have a pension scheme with the PFA that starts paying on retirement from the game, not sure if the club contribute to this on behalf of their players though or whether it’s player direct contributions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Presumably all players are contractors and not employees?
Do the club have an NI responsibility for contractors?

And please don't continue the myth of £90k pw.
It is utter bullshit.

They have to be employees - clubs couldn't sell contractors.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Think it’s a scheme run by the PFA. Overall contributions (PFA plus the player) would be capped at 40k pa. They used to be able to access their pensions at 35 but this changed to 55 along with the other pension reforms. Suspect most have pensions if only to save a bit of tax (all handled by their accountants of course)

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
I think it’s slightly different on pensions where players have a pension scheme with the PFA that starts paying on retirement from the game, not sure if the club contribute to this on behalf of their players though or whether it’s player direct contributions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All professional players are enrolled into the PFA’s pension scheme. Players can’t draw down until 55 though. The PFA make a contribution but not sure how clubs do but suspect they do indirectly.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The conversations seems to have moved on a bit from the Estrella drinker, I see...

The only thing I would add to the wages debate was that I thought Dunk had a clause in his contract that meant he would always be the top earner, hence why he kept getting new and improved contracts every season :shrug:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can we go back to guessing about Cucu agreeing personal terms.

All this guessing about pension and NI requirements is a bit...

..you know...

...a bit [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION].

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Can we go back to guessing about Cucu agreeing personal terms.

All this guessing about pension and NI requirements is a bit...

..you know...

...a bit [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION].

BlueMoon forum has gone quiet on it as well. I guess with personal terms already having been agreed so many times we’re all just waiting for the pic of him holding up the shirt now :shrug:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
BlueMoon forum has gone quiet on it as well. I guess with personal terms already having been agreed so many times we’re all just waiting for the pic of him holding up the shirt now :shrug:

Oh god don't even start with all.that shite again.

"Miss, Miss, they said something nasty about something I like now I feel sad.
Do something Miss it's not fair".

I'm even starting to miss the reasoned debate that was 'Maupay should be binned off because he didn't clap'.

el punal

Oh god don't even start with all.that shite again.

"Miss, Miss, they said something nasty about something I like now I feel sad.
Do something Miss it's not fair".

I'm even starting to miss the reasoned debate that was 'Maupay should be binned off because he didn't clap'.

It’s getting to be like that. Football’s equivalent of the newspapers ‘“silly season” (August) when nothing newsworthy ever happens. Still, we’ve got the new shirt reveal, the outer concourse non-bogs, why’s the Amex roof dirty and any other inconsequential crap to keep us occupied until the big kick off. :shrug:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It’s getting to be like that. Football’s equivalent of the newspapers ‘“silly season” (August) when nothing newsworthy ever happens. Still, we’ve got the new shirt reveal, the outer concourse non-bogs, why’s the Amex roof dirty and any other inconsequential crap to keep us occupied until the big kick off. :shrug:

I'm quite happy with us being in the silly season - why wouldn't I?

It pains me to use the word but having a bunch rotund balding middle-aged men behaving like absolute snowflakes is so tiring.
The kicker being a bet none of them even come close to identifying as snowflakes, in the real world

Why would you want your alter ego to be so wet? (or should that be snowflakey)

Yet as soon as the Albion gets mentioned they're reaching for their panic alarms as St Johns Ambulance are put on standby.

Last edited:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
You sure about that? Your financial calculations haven't exactly enhanced your credibility in this discussion! I'm not ITK either - but I wouldn't mind a small flutter that he might well have got a £10M signing on fee - that would have enabled his weekly wages to stay reasonablly close to our wage structure.

A £10M signing on fee would be fairly evident in the clubs accounts wouldn’t it ?

Baldrick

Aug 24, 2020

Maybe its all agreed and we just need to sign a replacement before the deal is announced. Makes it cheaper for us to buy a replacement if other clubs don't know how much we have to spend.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
What makes bluemoon funny is thst the fans are saying they have a valuation on how much they will pay. Moaning that Brighton are trying to rinse them formore money,calling us sad and pathetic.
1 poster said buy him on a 5 year deal then fleece Barcalona for as much money as possible in they come in for him.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
What makes bluemoon funny is thst the fans are saying they have a valuation on how much they will pay. Moaning that Brighton are trying to rinse them formore money,calling us sad and pathetic.
1 poster said buy him on a 5 year deal then fleece Barcalona for as much money as possible in they come in for him.

They just can’t understand that we have absolutely no desire to sell him and if they want a player with four years left on his contract they will have to pay through the nose for him. Even if he is gagging to go there.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Maybe its all agreed and we just need to sign a replacement before the deal is announced. Makes it cheaper for us to buy a replacement if other clubs don't know how much we have to spend.

I suspect there's something in this, and two points related to it. First, Fabrizio Romano said City are looking to offload Ake before buying Cucurella. Second, Ajax have just signed a LB, and we've been linked with their incumbent, Tagliafico.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here