[Albion] Marc Cucurella *Signed For Chelsea 05/08/2022*

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Cucurella liking posts on twitter AND Insta which mention him being Pep's next signing.

Not unexpected but perhaps a little unprofessional. If he wants to go just do what Burn did and tell Barber?

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The team becomes much weaker with the two departures.

Without doubt 2 steps back with losing these 2.....Cuca more so in my view....

I don't know how you can make such a statement so definitively.
Unless you're going for the stopped clock method of punditry - as one day Mr Bloom will have a bad one, but even then that's more likely to stem from a managerial change not one from the playing side.

Both players are great but we all know Biss is easily coverable.
There are at least 3 players in the current squad who can do his job, 2 of them Jocko and Moises both defend with more attacking flair.

Sure Cucu's defensive job is going to be harder to replace but the team played it's best football, last season, with 1 (one) recognised centre back.
Having 3 centre backs available would give more scope for a LWB to be considerably more wing than back.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
If true that he’s gone, at what point does GP’s ambition outstrip the restrictive BHA business model? Pochettino didn’t hang around at Southampton.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I remember watching that dazn documentary on cuccu when he first came to England. It was all about the brand and a bit cringe really. He's clearly fiercely ambitious, nothing wrong with that, and his Mrs seems to enjoy the wag status. So this all adds up.

As others have said if he's going then I hope he goes quick. Really dont want this dragging out.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
If true that he’s gone, at what point does GP’s ambition outstrip the restrictive BHA business model? Pochettino didn’t hang around at Southampton.
Long way to go until that happens. Biss was gone already. And there's pretty much no team in the world that can stop man city taking their best players.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Perhaps he’d be happier if we signed worse players that no one will want instead

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Who is now a very wealthy out of work ex manager with a couple of French titles (less worthy than a Scotchish one) and 2 sackings under his belt

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
Hopefully we can convince Sergio Gomez to join.

Exciting young Spaniard who plays LWB in Belgium. Exceptional going forward and not shabby defensively. He'd be a downgrade but then again anyone would.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Hopefully we can convince Sergio Gomez to join.

Exciting young Spaniard who plays LWB in Belgium. Exceptional going forward and not shabby defensively. He'd be a downgrade but then again anyone would.

It’s tough isn’t it.

I had thought that it might be a good idea to go after Ait-Nouri BUT I’m sure Wolves would not want to sell to a non-top six side. Plus, he’d cost us £35m+ and I doubt we’ll be spending more than £20m on Cucu’s replacement. Also, like Gomez, still a downgrade.

There is also Maxwell Cornet. He played left back 23 times for Lyon in his last season there. A player who can play multiple positions but I’m not sure if he has the pass and move game Potter needs.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Although Phillips is not an outstanding player, he is used to fast, high pressing football similar to what Pep plays so will fit in as a strong squad player.

The fact he is English is a bonus for them too.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Really hope he stays but this Insta likes or whatever doesn't look good. He raises everyone's game with his energy imo. Worried that the only hold up is for us to find a replacement. Wish Pep would sod off. Can't stand his dominant style of football. It's bloody boring.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I don't mind if he goes but I don't like this reported low balling of the fee and the expectation ( entitlement ) that we will just lower the price.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
I don’t have a Twitter account to log in and double check but others are saying that “like” by Marc on the Man City related tweet has now been removed.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Is the one of the players I think is vital for our progression and really hope he stays! He puts in a perfect shift most games and probably my favourite Albion player. Really think letting him go even at 50 mil would be a mistake long term. Get him on another 5 year contract. As much as I like the the guy, I would rather let Trossard go. Getting rid of Cucurella would be a huge mistake and a big step backwards to what we are building towards.

Well, let me put a different view across, something that for instance THPP could pay attention to too. We can only deal with the situation and what we know now, but I suspect that keeping him will be a mistake. Why?
1, he clearly wants to go. And who can blame him, he's been given the opportunity to double/treble/quadruple his wages, play in the advanced stages of the CL, and win multiple trophies over here. That'll probably also cement his place in the Spain team and, if not, squad.
2, Our entire model is based on attracting young, talented, potentially world-class players, and developing them into precisely that. If we want to continue to do that, we'll have to make some difficult decisions about releasing top, top players; if we don't, we'll lose that reputation, and signing the next Caicedo will prove that more difficult.

None of this means that we should give them to City for a low fee (like Leeds have with Phillips). They know all this, and have obviously through his agent sought to turn Cucurella's head, hence this 'like', in order to try and drive down the fee. B&HA should just tell Cucurella and his agent that they can have him, provided that they pay the asking price, which ought to be somewhere in the region of £50-60m; if they don't, then they'll have to look for another left back.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Well, let me put a different view across, something that for instance THPP could pay attention to too. We can only deal with the situation and what we know now, but I suspect that keeping him will be a mistake. Why?
1, he clearly wants to go. And who can blame him, he's been given the opportunity to double/treble/quadruple his wages, play in the advanced stages of the CL, and win multiple trophies over here. That'll probably also cement his place in the Spain team and, if not, squad.
2, Our entire model is based on attracting young, talented, potentially world-class players, and developing them into precisely that. If we want to continue to do that, we'll have to make some difficult decisions about releasing top, top players; if we don't, we'll lose that reputation, and signing the next Caicedo will prove that more difficult.

None of this means that we should give them to City for a low fee (like Leeds have with Phillips). They know all this, and have obviously through his agent sought to turn Cucurella's head, hence this 'like', in order to try and drive down the fee. B&HA should just tell Cucurella and his agent that they can have him, provided that they pay the asking price, which ought to be somewhere in the region of £50-60m; if they don't, then they'll have to look for another left back.

Agreed and as I said earlier in the thread it’s not in TB’s short or long term interest to let a BIG club been seen to get away with lowballing us. I’d rather we had an unhappy Cucu in the short term, as the message will be clear to the next club who wants one of our players on the cheap.

The price should be set and the player and the buying club need to accept it or “no deal” 50-60 million is not excessive in this instance imo

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports