Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Marathon Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
None today after 50 yesterday. Couple of minor niggles to deal with, will make a decision re Brighton on Thurs or Friday

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
None today after 50 yesterday. Couple of minor niggles to deal with, will make a decision re Brighton on Thurs or Friday

A fair decision!

I cancelled my run today, after 13.5 miles yesterday. I have done a lot of cycling in the last couple of days, which is not ideal preparation but I'm feeling strong, fit and ready.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
I did a Spin class Friday and Saturday and a 7 mile run today. One more spin class Tuesday and that is pretty much it for me now until Sunday, feet up and eating pasta!

Did the 7 miles a bit quicker than my planned marathon pace (10.30 per mile rather then my required 11.30 I am aiming for next week)

Good luck to everyone for Sunday

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I did a Spin class Friday and Saturday and a 7 mile run today. One more spin class Tuesday and that is pretty much it for me now until Sunday, feet up and eating pasta!

Did the 7 miles a bit quicker than my planned marathon pace (10.30 per mile rather then my required 11.30 I am aiming for next week)

Good luck to everyone for Sunday

Don't overdo the 'carb loading'. It's all 1970s bollocks. Unless you're sub 3 (or even 2:30) it won't make any difference.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
14283079603361109440221.jpg
Who needs a garmin when you can use the back of a fag packet?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Happy with the chart except for lack of a decent long run over 17.

Your mileage far surpasses mine, I've just trawled through my Garmin stats and I would say I've averaged around 20 miles per week with last week (28) being my most miles run.

I've run 265 miles since New Years Day with a longest run of 17.5 miles, I fear I haven't put enough in to have a comfortable run and this is going to hurt intolerably.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Just read race info from their website and NO BOTTLES this year. I have just bought a pair of thin gloves that keep hands warm but not hot for the sole purpose of opening the Gatorade bottles as last year My hands were too cold to open them and had to ask a spectator at one point.

This year they are providing thimble sized cups at water and sports drink stations. As a gulper I may have to get family or friends to have a pint of water waiting for me around the halfway point.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Just read race info from their website and NO BOTTLES this year. I have just bought a pair of thin gloves that keep hands warm but not hot for the sole purpose of opening the Gatorade bottles as last year My hands were too cold to open them and had to ask a spectator at one point.

This year they are providing thimble sized cups at water and sports drink stations. As a gulper I may have to get family or friends to have a pint of water waiting for me around the halfway point.

Don't like the thought of cups, I need to drink when I feel like it so will have to carry a bottle now. Loved the squeezy pouches they used in the past. Crap decision IMHO.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Don't like the thought of cups, I need to drink when I feel like it so will have to carry a bottle now. Loved the squeezy pouches they used in the past. Crap decision IMHO.

Increase in stations though. Drink stations at 3,5,6,8 and then every mile. 175ml each time could be ok.

IndianaPaul

Kingdom Of Withdean
Dec 19, 2008
How's everyone getting there? Typically nothing on the southern or B&H bus websites about extra services so currently from seaford there isn't anything early enough, using the "preferred method of transport"

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
We shall be drumming at Tesco in Hove in support of the Teenage Cancer Trust on Sunday for the marathon. Please chuck some change in the bucket, we are Skull Drummery, The Mighty Tub Thumpers

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
We shall be drumming at Tesco in Hove in support of the Teenage Cancer Trust on Sunday for the marathon. Please chuck some change in the bucket, we are Skull Drummery, The Mighty Tub Thumpers

As a fellow Cliffe Bonfire Boy I look forward to seeing you as I plod past :bigwave:

I am number 11665 and will be in my purple GOSH vest - good luck to everyone running on Sunday. Just relaxing now ahead of the big day.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
I shall be on the start line on Sunday.

This will be my 5th Brighton marathon. Training has been a bit hap hazard, so just really looking to get round and enjoy the atmosphere.

Good luck all

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Recovery from SDW50 seems to have gone well, have run Tue (3.5m), Weds (3.5m) and today (5.4m) with no adverse reaction so at things stand planning to rock up on Sunday and take it easy. Definitely not going to race for a PB. Have run over 630 miles in 2015 so far. Most ever at this stage by a massive amount.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
What about the weigh in? Tonight I am 11 stone or 70kg. In civvies and not running gear, just eaten very well and had regular food and water intake through the day. Only lost 4 or 5 lbs since November but not much too lose in the first place.

Only expect to be about a pound heavier by Sunday, unless Carlito Brigante or Druid's Nephew wins the National.

Now where are those Welsh Cakes?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
13 stone 2 lbs this morning, possibly my lightest weight since my teenage years. A whopping 61 pounds lighter than I was New Years day 2010.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here