Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Marathon Thread

IndianaPaul

Kingdom Of Withdean
Dec 19, 2008
As well as can be after Easter at work! Topped up with a 10 miler this morning, so hopefully stay injury and illness free for next weekend

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Wish it was tomorrow, paranoid every time I walk down the stairs I'll turn an ankle.
Gentle 18km this morning, last five in the company of knocky on the Hove Park run.

Fingers crossed weather looks good for next week.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I'll be out tomorrow for a 12 mile effort back along the seafront towards Saltdean, weather looks perfect with little wind.

Got severe bruising to a couple of my toes, have a feeling the nails will drop off shortly.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
5 mile tempo this morning, just starting to feel a slight knot in my calf, been using a roller on it all morning

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Just returned from a 13.3 hilly miler, had a cold bath to aid the recovery and planning another long run tomorrow before winding down and preparing for sunday. I still feel 3:30 is attainable, and I'm determined to achieve it.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
What does everyone tend to do in the week before a Marathon? It's my debut, so I'd appreciate the wisdom and advice from folk who have been there before.

Y Ddraig Goch

Sep 28, 2011
1. 3 marathons. New Forest 2010, Abingdon 2011 and Brighton 2012.
2. No
3. Brighton 2012. 3hrs 27mins. Age 44.

Have hung up my marathon boots and sticking to shorter, more sensible distances that impact a lot less on joints, heart and family!

3 for me too 2 x Snowdonia 1 x Richmond Park. Got Trail Wales in June (though may need to drop to half) and Snowdonia again in October.

Good luck to everyone doing Brighton.

Y Ddraig Goch

Sep 28, 2011
Drop the mileage but maintain the intensity. A taper is always difficult you're first will drive you mad with doubt. Trust your training.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
What does everyone tend to do in the week before a Marathon? It's my debut, so I'd appreciate the wisdom and advice from folk who have been there before.

If I had done a 13.3 miler today I would be having tomorrow off. Then next week will consist of runs no longer than 5 miles at very easy pace 9:30 to 10 min with a few minutes at race pace 8:30 thrown in on Thursday.
Will do a 30 minute Parkrun next Saturday as the final warm up. Ralphington's is perfect as well.

I will avoid 6 pints around the Bournemouth match, as well.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
If I had done a 13.3 miler today I would be having tomorrow off. Then next week will consist of runs no longer than 5 miles at very easy pace 9:30 to 10 min with a few minutes at race pace 8:30 thrown in on Thursday.
Will do a 30 minute Parkrun next Saturday as the final warm up. Ralphington's is perfect as well.

I will avoid 6 pints around the Bournemouth match, as well.

I'd agree with that, there is no way you should be covering the marathon distance across two consecutive days, seven days out.

Take it easy, next week shouldn't consist of much more than a 45 minute run followed by two 30 minute efforts.

What pace are you planning to set off at to achieve sub 3:30? I'm thinking 7:45 is ideal to give me a cushion for the final 10k when marathons start to get really punishing.

Last edited:

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
5 mile hilly walk in the Lakes this morning and just finished a 7 mile cross country run. Will take it easy now as I want as much energy as possible next weekend!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'd agree with that, there is no way you should be covering the marathon distance across two consecutive days, seven days out.

Take it easy, next week shouldn't consist of much more than a 45 minute run followed by two 30 minute efforts.

What pace are you planning to set off at to achieve sub 3:30? I'm thinking 7:45 is ideal to give me a cushion for the final 10k when marathons start to get really punishing.

I was expecting you to say you would beat your 5k PB on Monday, 10k PB on Wednesday, half marathon on Friday and then a marathon PB on Sunday.
You have become so elite that your even losing your toenails for weight loss. Good luck with your time. I reckon you have planned it right at 7:45 pace and may indeed push on from that later on.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I was expecting you to say you would beat your 5k PB on Monday, 10k PB on Wednesday, half marathon on Friday and then a marathon PB on Sunday.
You have become so elite that your even losing your toenails for weight loss. Good luck with your time. I reckon you have planned it right at 7:45 pace and may indeed push on from that later on.

I was reading Charlie Spedding's book from last to first and even he tapered before his LA bronze in 84, so I can't really argue with that.

I'll try and stay nice and controlled tomorrow and resist the urge to push up the mileage or run too quickly.

Are you feeling confident with your training programme?

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009

Mon/Tues easy 30 mins Wed 30 mins or 45 if legs are okay Thurs/Fri 30 mins with some strides Sat as Thurs/Fri or rest day.I found too much rest can leave legs feeling very flat.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I was reading Charlie Spedding's book from last to first and even he tapered before his LA bronze in 84, so I can't really argue with that.

I'll try and stay nice and controlled tomorrow and resist the urge to push up the mileage or run too quickly.

Are you feeling confident with your training programme?

Yes I enjoyed the programme and feeling full of beans after the enforced rest days from little injuries. Yes I am confident but Would prefer it to be 20 miles.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Only 10.5 miles ran today - nice feeling when it's only ...... 10!

12 for me today, must now rest. Longest run planned 6 miles Tuesday.

I've ended up completing more miles (49) in the last ten days then at any other time due to 7 month old son, work etc... So much for the taper! This week is my do **** all week.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here