Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Manure v Scummy Boro

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Over simplification.

The situation is much more nuanced than that.

Sorry, but what is more 'nuanced' than a Premier League striker stepping up to take a penalty in a shootout. What is it that I am missing ? What else is he supposed to be there to do ?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Sorry, but what is more 'nuanced' than a Premier League striker stepping up to take a penalty in a shootout. What is it that I am missing ? What else is he supposed to be there to do ?

Context. That's what you're missing.

Jimmy Grimble

I’ll just add a caveat to what I posted earlier.

Do I think Connolly had an opportunity to take a penalty? 99% yes.

Do I think it was right that he didn’t take one? Evidently 100% yes because his side won anyway.

Do I think it’s a huge shame (and a worry) that he didn’t have the confidence to take one (baring in mind they took 8)? Yes.

I hope - like others have said - it results in a run of momentum for Middlesbrough where Connolly plays an active part.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
It was obvious after only a few minutes, that the only chance of ‘Boro winning the game was on penalties. I don’t find Wilder’s sides entertaining, and was frustrated by United's inability to turn their superior skills, and dominance of the match into goals. I switched off after 90 minutes. Did Connolly’s hairdresser take a penalty ?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Why do I already worry racist abuse for the poor kid who missed the decisive penalty. He looked absolutely distraught, keep your head up young man.

Cos you like to find something to be offended about?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Sticking a crucial penalty away might just have provided the confidence boost he is so clearly needing. He should have been GRABBING that cuffing ball, certainly after the first 5 had been buried.

Instead...he shrunk away and just left it to everyone else. I'm sorry, but if a striker lacks the balls to that extent...he's in the wrong job.

That is pure speculation on your part. Boro won the shootout, whatever decisions they took were the right ones. I am finding this slagging off of one of our players rather unseemly.

Aaron is attempting to rebuild his career and we should be supportive of that, not looking to find reasons to have a go at him on what should be a night of celebration for him and his Boro teammates

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
The ongoing abuse of one of our own players is a sorry sight to see. Quite rightly we deride other clubs fans for the abuse they give to their own players, and yet this ongoing drip feed of abuse towards Connolly is the same thing.

One thing is for sure, it certainly isn't helping in any way whatsoever.

This is a player who has the potential to do great things, and is at Boro to help him develop and hopefully come back next season a better player for us

I really do not understand why so many on here are taking such delight in any perceived "failure" (real or not) on his part. None of us know why he didn't take a penalty last night, for all we know he was due to be up next and could have won the game for them.

Some peoples comments on here and twitter reflect more on them than Connolly and not in a good way

We should be supporting all our players, wishing them well, not taking every opportunity to put the boot in

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
The ongoing abuse of one of our own players is a sorry sight to see. Quite rightly we deride other clubs fans for the abuse they give to their own players, and yet this ongoing drip feed of abuse towards Connolly is the same thing.

This is a player who has the potential to do great things, and is at Boro to help him develop and hopefully come back next season a better player for us

I really do not understand why so many on here are taking such delight in any perceived "failure" (real or not) on his part. None of us know why he didn't take a penalty last night, for all we know he was due to be up next and could have won the game for them.

Some peoples comments on here and twitter reflect more on them than Connolly and not in a good way

We should be supporting all our players, wishing them well, not taking every opportunity to put the boot in

What Nick said!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I was convinced Connolly would miss his penalty so was very glad he didn't take one.
I was picturing him head in his hands.

It was the countdown of doom as every penalty went in, one after the other and the inevitable moment loomed.

Thankfully fate wasn't written.

Anyway, I try to ignore whatever happens with Connolly at Middlesbrough ( obviously not with a televised FA Cup match ), I don't want to know at this point and would rather wait for his end of loan report in full.

My opinion of him is very low, but a good loan report will certainly help his future career, and of course I wish him well for that.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That is pure speculation on your part. Boro won the shootout, whatever decisions they took were the right ones. I am finding this slagging off of one of our players rather unseemly.

Aaron is attempting to rebuild his career and we should be supportive of that, not looking to find reasons to have a go at him on what should be a night of celebration for him and his Boro teammates

This.

It’s a spiteful witch hunt.

Sea Cider

Dec 27, 2012
Sticking a crucial penalty away might just have provided the confidence boost he is so clearly needing. He should have been GRABBING that cuffing ball, certainly after the first 5 had been buried.

Instead...he shrunk away and just left it to everyone else. I'm sorry, but if a striker lacks the balls to that extent...he's in the wrong job.

Utter bullshit. Many strikers don't take penalties. Scoring might have given his confidence a boost. Missing could have wrecked his loan spell. Penalties are a lottery, even the best miss (see Ronaldo, C, IN THE SAME BLOODY GAME).

Give the lad a break you idiots.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Spot on.

Mo Salah didn't take a penalty when Egypt won their shoot out the other day.

Absolutely nothing to see here. Extraordinary how, once people have made up their minds about someone, that person can do nothing right :shrug:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I can't wait for the club to not have enough strikers, again.
Over promote Ferguson.
So we can start the whole cycle again.

Imagine how lush it'll be to be able to pile the pressure and abuse on them both, at the same time.

The stuff of dreams.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I remember when you used to be a really fun poster.

One, those of us who like a comedic 'side eye' look at NSC life, could only applaud (while thinking, I wish I'd written that)

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

This is deranged knicker frothing, considering they scored all their pens and won the shootout

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I can't wait for the club to not have enough strikers, again.
Over promote Ferguson.
So we can start the whole cycle again.

Imagine how lush it'll be to be able to pile the pressure and abuse on them both, at the same time.

The stuff of dreams.

I'll be right in there criticising any that end up in the papers breaking lockdown rules and showing no contrition afterwards.

The guy is a complete bellend.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here