[Football] Manure v Scummy Boro

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I didn’t know Sol Bamba had recovered from his cancer - let alone be playing for a Championship side and scoring penalties at Old Trafford. Looked like a man who knows it isn’t THAT important the way he was joking with the ref as well.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I didn’t know Sol Bamba had recovered from his cancer - let alone be playing for a Championship side and scoring penalties at Old Trafford. Looked like a man who knows it isn’t THAT important the way he was joking the ref as well.

Loved how he didn't even run for his penalty kick!

Jimmy Grimble

It's not very fair to assume anything of the kind. It was a very good bit of man management by Chris Wilder - but there is no evidence whatsoever to say that Connolly himself didn't want to rtake a penalty. For all you know (which is nothing) he might have been desperate to open his score for his new team.

If Connolly wanted to take a penalty after the first 5/6 had been taken he would have done. At that point it comes down to players stepping up. I’d be staggered if ‘Boro knew who their 6th/7th penalty taker was after all those subs. It would have been a case of who wants to take one putting their hand up.

That’s why I said it’s a shame his confidence has been hit that hard. It’s not good for anyone.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I guess the truth mists your blue and white tinted specs! No agenda just pointing out what happened!

Oh, so you was pitch side after all. Apologies, I didn't realise you was sharing insider information.

Perhaps when you get home from the game you can put a bit more flesh on the bones for us so we can hammer home than final nail in Connelly's coffin :thumbsup:

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
No agenda at all. Why would a PL centre forward not take one of the first 8 pens? What’s your theory?

I've no idea but I don't think he refused or bottled it. I imagine he hasn't been there long enough or performed to a high enough standard (yet, hopefully) to gain his manager's trust. Too much too soon for him. I've never really taken to him at the Albion tbf but I'd like him to come good, even if it's just to get a decent selling fee for him.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I guess the truth mists your blue and white tinted specs! No agenda just pointing out what happened!

Sorry. I was being polite earlier when I gave you a shrug - for being clearly not willing or able to get the point - and wished you a good night. Now I got as far as 'no agenda' and it becomes even clearer that you are talking bollocks, having completely failed to understand the arguement. Sorry - had to be said.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
I've no idea but I don't think he refused or bottled it. I imagine he hasn't been there long enough or performed to a high enough standard (yet, hopefully) to gain his manager's trust. Too much too soon for him. I've never really taken to him at the Albion tbf but I'd like him to come good, even if it's just to get a decent selling fee for him.

At no time have I said I didn’t want him to come good. He probably has the ability but maybe not the attitude. I can’t see any reason why he didn’t take a pen other than he didn’t want to. However this is an unpopular opinion with some on here!

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I’m not sure it’s fair to ask loan players to take penalties, especially ones who have just joined a squad.

Glad I'm not the only one who was thinking this. I'd have thought it pretty obvious that the likely reason he didn't take one, or offer to take one, was because he's just joined the squad and on loan

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Sorry. I was being polite earlier when I gave you a shrug - for being clearly not willing or able to get the point - and wished you a good night. Now I got as far as 'no agenda' and it becomes even clearer that you are talking bollocks, having completely failed to understand the arguement. Sorry - had to be said.

Thought you had gone to bed old boy!
I get your point but don’t agree with it! It’s what these forum things are all about. Does make me laugh how some of you get so upset when anyone has a different opinion then you!

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
So a player that some people don't seem to like, playing for a team we are not supposed to like against a team we like even less, doesn't take a penalty that wins the game for the team we are not supposed to like, so the people that don't like that player like him even less. I like the result as I don't like the team that we like even less, but I'm not sure I like the people who don't like the player who didn't take the penalty for the team we are not supposed to like.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
At no time have I said I didn’t want him to come good. He probably has the ability but maybe not the attitude. I can’t see any reason why he didn’t take a pen other than he didn’t want to. However this is an unpopular opinion with some on here!

I'm with you. I find the excuses tiring. "He's young, he's on loan, he needs to find his confidence" etc. Bottom line - he is a PL striker, and it is his bloody JOB to stick that ball in the back of the net - otherwise, whats the point of him ? He hid from the shootout, whilst youngsters and CBs took the walk. Much like Paul Ince, who sat in the centre circle with his back to the goal when Southgate stepped up. Bottled it.

I want to see him to do well there, and hopefully Wilder can get a tune out of him in the coming months. But Connolly is going to have to turn up and show some bollocks at least.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

I’ve no idea whether he wanted to take one or not. Nobody on here does.

But if he didn’t fancy it, then 100% the right thing to do is make that known and stand aside.. If that’s what happened then I can’t believe anyone would criticise him for that. False bravado usually ends up in a shit situation.

As it is, Boro went through. So from their point of view the right players took pens.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Thought you had gone to bed old boy!
I get your point but don’t agree with it! It’s what these forum things are all about. Does make me laugh how some of you get so upset when anyone has a different opinion then you!

I think the main problem with your opinion is that you're now claiming it to be fact. It's no more of a fact than the contrary opinion on here that it was simply good man management by Wilder.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I’ve no idea whether he wanted to take one or not. Nobody on here does.

But if he didn’t fancy it, then 100% the right thing to do is make that known and stand aside.. If that’s what happened then I can’t believe anyone would criticise him for that. False bravado usually ends up in a shit situation.

Sticking a crucial penalty away might just have provided the confidence boost he is so clearly needing. He should have been GRABBING that cuffing ball, certainly after the first 5 had been buried.

Instead...he shrunk away and just left it to everyone else. I'm sorry, but if a striker lacks the balls to that extent...he's in the wrong job.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Sticking a crucial penalty away might just have provided the confidence boost he is so clearly needing. He should have been GRABBING that cuffing ball, certainly after the first 5 had been buried.

Instead...he shrunk away and just left it to everyone else. I'm sorry, but if a striker lacks the balls to that extent...he's in the wrong job.

I’m not sure if he’s in the wrong job, yet. But I am fairly certain that he probably isn’t in the right mental frame of mind at present. I think it was Gary Player (or someone like that) who said “ the most important distance in sport is the 6 inches between your ears.”

Missing a pen tonight would have destroyed any chance he has at Boro. On a human level, rather than a professional sport level, I could understand why he / Wilder chose not to expose him to that risk tonight. If indeed that is what happened.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Over simplification.

The situation is much more nuanced than that.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I’m not sure if he’s in the wrong job, yet. But I am fairly certain that he probably isn’t in the right mental frame of mind at present. I think it was Gary Player (or someone like that) who said “ the most important distance in sport is the 6 inches between your ears.”

Missing a pen tonight would have destroyed any chance he has at Boro. On a human level, rather than a professional sport level, I could understand why he / Wilder chose not to expose him to that risk tonight. If indeed that is what happened.

Or the 6 inches you have inside a Love Island contestant (sorry, cheap shot, but its Fridat)

Bottom line for me...as a striker, if he hasn't got the confidence to step up and take a penalty, then he's just not made of The Right Stuff. He's gone up there to PROVE himself. He's not going to do that by shying away from a free shot from 12 yards, now is he ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports