Mackail-Smith to Leeds rumour picking up...

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Massive difference between saying that he "isn't the answer" and calling him an "aimless headless chicken" isn't there? He is a channel runner and penalty box player, it's not his fault that we signed him "to build a team round" and then failed to play to his strengths. Gus himself has held his hands up to that, hence the efforts to bring someone in last season. I personally feel that it's the midfield service to CMS (Vicente in particular) that is key rather than a strike partner and would be very disappointed to see him leave.

Where has Gus said that? Genuine question because I haven't seen that anywhere. I would have thought that Gus is the very person who would be able to actually do something about that rather than bemoan the tactics. Anyway, the evidence of CMS's strike rate at P'boro rather points to the fact that he isn't cut out at this level rather than tactics. Scores for fun in L1, can't hit a barn door in Championship, back in L1 scores when he wants, back to Championship and he's basically Alex Revell but with a nicer smile.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Okay. Let me re-phrase the question. If CMS goes, will you consider the possibility that... actually I'll just repeat it. If CMS goes, would you think Poyet knows nothing about football?

Getting rid of CMS would be a footballing decision because Poyet knows football.

Anyone who claims he is a "headless chicken" doesn't know a THING about football.

So I stand by my original statement.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I got it two weeks ago in the BOGOF offer! :facepalm:

Usually the player name I get on my shirt waits until the january window to leave, this could be a record. Still, my Barnes shirt remains in tact!

:lolol: Bummer

Wasn't there a young lad who won the right to a refund after having a name put on his shirt and then the player left.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Where has Gus said that? Genuine question because I haven't seen that anywhere. I would have thought that Gus is the very person who would be able to actually do something about that rather than bemoan the tactics. Anyway, the evidence of CMS's strike rate at P'boro rather points to the fact that he isn't cut out at this level rather than tactics. Scores for fun in L1, can't hit a barn door in Championship, back in L1 scores when he wants, back to Championship and he's basically Alex Revell but with a nicer smile.

He has said it publicly any number of times. Here is an example for you:
Mackail-Smith on the march with Albion From The Argus)

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Running around like a headless chicken because he's left on his own up front and the service he was getting was pretty dire for the most part. A goalscorer is only as good as the service he gets and I can't really fault him too much for a lean season

It may have helped if there was some logic to his runs and positioning, and they could find him. That is the big difference with Ashley Barnes, his positioning is good so he gets chances.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Good news. CMS needs to move on for his and our sake.He is a very likable guy but football wise is not the best. He will never be a success here all the time Gus is the manager and now is a good time to part company. I would be happy with a straight swap with McCormack, he can actually control the ball and score.

DOOM and GLOOM

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Argus today???

Gus Poyet is ready to welcome Craig Mackail-Smith back to his Albion matchday squad as he plans to take on Chelsea.

Poyet is happy with progress made by Mackail-Smith, who has had a back problem, and left-back Marcos Painter (hamstring).

The Seagulls host European club champions Chelsea in a prestigious friendly at The Amex on Saturday.

Poyet said this morning: "If Macca comes though without any problems today and tomorrow he has a chance to play.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Argus today???

Gus Poyet is ready to welcome Craig Mackail-Smith back to his Albion matchday squad as he plans to take on Chelsea.

Poyet is happy with progress made by Mackail-Smith, who has had a back problem, and left-back Marcos Painter (hamstring).

The Seagulls host European club champions Chelsea in a prestigious friendly at The Amex on Saturday.

Poyet said this morning: "If Macca comes though without any problems today and tomorrow he has a chance to play.

well, there you go. No-one knows anything. I'm going to crawl back into my hole.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
It may have helped if there was some logic to his runs and positioning, and they could find him. That is the big difference with Ashley Barnes, his positioning is good so he gets chances.

I think that is COMPLETELY unfair.

CMS was leading the line so defenders are COMPLETELY focused on his runs.

Barnes STROLLS in from deep and got many of his goals from that sort of position. It's much easier to look like you're making 'good' runs if you were not being tracked.

Most of CMS runs were for the purpose of dragging defenders. From WSU you can see it perfectly.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
well, there you go. No-one knows anything. I'm going to crawl back into my hole.

Hang on. I'm confused now.

So if Poyet keeps CMS does that mean he is wrong for keeping a "headless chicken" or that you are wrong for disagreeing with Poyet?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Would it be reasonable to summarise that T
1.he move for CMS originates with Leeds.
2.It would make sense in every respect if we could do a swop deal for McCormack as we would have a tailor-made replacement and no sell-on fees due to Posh.
3.If we did do a deal and got McCormack we would still need another striker in addition just as we do with CMS up front
4. With Hosky out for 6 weeks we may or may not need a loan signing depending on Gus' faith in Ash and Toby to make an impact in his stead

From the other thread it seems we are about to sign someone - if it is a striker it may be that a deal to let CMS go would be cancelled (if it is felt to be the "perfect match").
However it seems more likely to be a midfielder with Andrew Crofts the front runner

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I think that is COMPLETELY unfair.

CMS was leading the line so defenders are COMPLETELY focused on his runs.

Barnes STROLLS in from deep and got many of his goals from that sort of position. It's much easier to look like you're making 'good' runs if you were not being tracked.

Most of CMS runs were for the purpose of dragging defenders. From WSU you can see it perfectly.

This is very true. From WSU you can see CMS making brilliant runs and often pulling the centre backs out of position. He often looks so frustrated though cause the ball is not always played to him, he would thrive on a few more long balls over the top or to sprint on to. Barnes does seem to have the centre forward instinct to be in the right place however which I am not sure CMS has.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Cms must stay.... else we will be left with 'Barn door Barnes' who gets penalties and about 10 chances per goal..... A lot of those chances down to hustle activity from cms in the course of him charging about..... Replace Barnes with a more alert, efficient and skilled marksman and our goal tally will double...... ditch Barnes.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
having read through the Argus and through Leeds local Paper etc, I dont think this will happen, just a feeling I do not know any more or less than anyone else but I think NW has just mentioned some names of people he would like and the rest is speculation, didnt CMS say only a few weeks back about rumours he was going and he replied how happy and settled he was with us

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Hang on. I'm confused now.

So if Poyet keeps CMS does that mean he is wrong for keeping a "headless chicken" or that you are wrong for disagreeing with Poyet?

Oh, I see. If CMS goes then you've got your answer covered because it's a footballing decision and if he stays then everyone who disagrees knows nothing about football.

(The headless chicken comment wasn't mine btw)

NickBHAFC18

Feb 24, 2012
Brighton
Cms must stay.... else we will be left with 'Barn door Barnes' who gets penalties and about 10 chances per goal..... A lot of those chances down to hustle activity from cms in the course of him charging about..... Replace Barnes with a more alert, efficient and skilled marksman and our goal tally will double...... ditch Barnes.

Ditch Barnes? Our leading scorer? Our best finishing striker? Are you mad?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports