Lopez

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
if you saw the first one from behind it was a deliberate kick to the back of the ankle. Nasty and petulant. The secind was no less so.
Ameobi spent the whole game kicking and pushing opponents no matter where the ball was (and it was rarely anywhere near him). I know el abd wound him up but in addition to the bookings the ref spoke to him on at least three other occasions to cool it.
Unprofessional.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I agree with Pardew, Lopez didn't help matters by rolling around, it was a foul but never a second yellow.

It wasn't great from Lopez, but I didn't see the sending off as a game changer. There was only ever going to be one winner yesterday. The Red should is recinded, and Lopez given a yellow for simulation (though the latter will never happen)

It wasn't great from Lopez, but I didn't see the sending off as a game changer. There was only ever going to be one winner yesterday. The Red should is recinded, and Lopez given a yellow for simulation (though the latter will never happen)

Agreed that it wasn't a game changer, and to be fair I was more concerned when they went to 10 as we had the measure of them and I was concerned about them changing shape and nicking something as often happens.

It's just the theatrics that leave a nasty taste.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
There was contact, he got a dead leg. The only thing you could criticize him for is wanting to see if Ameobi got a second yellow, and even then it's not uncommon, he was just very unsubtle about it very close to a TV camera.

The two yellows were not for crunching tackles, but they were for cynical, lazy, clumsy, slow, late challenges. And both qualified for yellows in my opinion, although you would not always see both given.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007

There was contact. So why on EARTH are you going to give Lopez a yellow card for simulation.

The rule is to simulate a feigned challenge. He didn't, he just made the most of a challnge, of which there was one, and there was contact.

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
Concensus is Lopez was fouled, there was no dive, the extra theatrics were a tad embarrassing, Ameobi deserved a second yellow, Zaha has loads of form for much worse and our resident troll is a hypocrite.

Seems pretty much spot on to me.

Shoreham Gull

Nov 3, 2012
Westdene
Hey every one hates it when teams come to the Amex and play dirty, I.e. diving!!

People say : why is poyet so clean,
Well done Lopez u might have made meal of it, but its a tactical game and its bout time brighton played dirty..

Now if Newcastle done that, which they do, pardaw do justify it... He's a nob like fergie!! :dunce:

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I agree with Pardew, Lopez didn't help matters by rolling around, it was a foul but never a second yellow.

He caught him late. A player of Ameobi's experience should know better. It didn't look great from Lopez but he was clearly caught badly as he continued limping for 5 minutes after getting treatment.

Hammond showed how to play with a yellow card. He was booked in the first half hour and I don't think he committed a foul after that but still competed well in midfield. A player of Ameobi's experience should know better and Pardew should look at that rather than slating Lopez.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
if you saw the first one from behind it was a deliberate kick to the back of the ankle. Nasty and petulant. The secind was nio less so.
Ameobi spent the whole game kicking and pushing opponents no matter where the ball was (and it was rarely anywhere near him). I know el abd wound him up but in addition to the bookings the ref spoke to him on at least three other occasions to cool it.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Pardew's got a bit of cheek moaning.

If memory serves me correct, I remember a certain Dave Kitson having a handball goal allowed for Reading a few years back at Withdean.
Didn't hear Pardew moan about that one.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Hey every one hates it when teams come to the Amex and play dirty, I.e. diving!!

People say : why is poyet so clean,
Well done Lopez u might have made meal of it, but its a tactical game and its bout time brighton played dirty..

Now if Newcastle done that, which they do, pardaw do justify it... He's a nob like fergie!! :dunce:

To be fair, the last 3 games i've seen It's happened now (I cant remember further back than that, worrying).

Milwall, James Henry (I think) dived down in the North East corner of the ground.

Ipswich, Lee Martin dived, in fact he did it twice, and even he thought he was being sent off for the second having been booked already for a challenge on Lopez.

Yesterday, David Lopez does it. To be fair though, there was an incident in the first half where El-Abd stuck out a leg, and Obertan stayed on his feet (in the box). Me and my old man both said at the exact same time, if he'd have gone down it would've been a penalty, so fair play to him.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

Agreed it wasn't a game changer. If anything, Newcastle had their best spell with 10 men. However, as others have said below, you can't book for simulation when Lopez was fouled. He made the most of the challenge but it was definitely a booking and a silly challenge from Ameobi (you can't recind a 2 yellow card sending off even if it was wrong - which it wasn't)

To be fair though, there was an incident in the first half where El-Abd stuck out a leg, and Obertan stayed on his feet (in the box). Me and my old man both said at the exact same time, if he'd have gone down it would've been a penalty, so fair play to him.

Saw that as well and thought exactly the same thing!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Probably a foul but it was embarrassing watching him roll over and over on the telly. Footballers are such a bunch of girls sometimes. I wish they'd all man up a bit.

Didn't affect the result anyway; we were cruising when it was 11 v 11. If anything Newcastle looked more dangerous with 10 men.

the silurian

Sep 29, 2011
Palace Scum f*** off Palace f*** off Palace!!! Anything to do with the Prem leaves you shitting it!! Everytime your their its an embarasment to the Prem!!! PPL watching round the world have the biggest laughs....they say....who are these palace...they think your Buckingham Palace Gardeners FC!!!!!

Is English your first language???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports