Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Long gone Brighton bands/Lost venues

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Would have liked to seen Transvision Vamp, live - that Wendy James was durrrty.

image.jpg

Too right!!!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Too tight, too right...

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Those Stranglers gigs were legendary at The Top Rank . Pretty sure the cover of Something Better Change was taken st the Top Rank.
I like to think they dedicated the Flock of Seagulls chant from Toiler of the Sea, to us when they played The Centre on the Black and White tour.

Yeah I remember that - Great times

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
I remember seeing Wayne County and the Electric Chairs one year and Jane County & the Electric Chairs the next!!!

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
You lot have got my brain buzzing now but didn't The Tubes play Brighton or was that somewhere else?

That gig was an eyeopener for a young lad !!

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
Anyone remember The Clash at Sussex Uni on White Riot tour -27/05/77 - best gig of my life even now!!
Remember seeing the picture cover of the single in the window of Fine Records in Brighton Square - thinking thats a bit of me, nicked a pair of straight leg trousers from the dead mans shop at the top of Church St to replace my flares and all of a sudden 1-2-3-4 I was a 16yo punk - exciting times!!

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Most pretentious unlistenable local band I ever did see.

Used to love 'em. Bloody art-students, eh?!

Oh, and also used to love going to see The Chefs, and The Objeks.

In fact, still have a couple of the Vaultage albums (compilations of Brighton bands from the early 1980s).

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Saw Banshees, Cure and Spizz at the centre the day the Banshee's split and Robert Smith had to step in

Ramones, Vibrators, Japan, Ramones, Undertones, Stranglers, Buzzcocks, Sham, Cockney Rejects, XTC, Punilux, Killing Joke, Ants, Spandau, Duran, Pretenders, Bauhaus, 999, Slits, Clash, Pistols, Comsat Angels, Passions, Jam Joy Div, New Order, The Fall, TV Personalities, ATV, Ruts, Big Country, Skids, Stiff Little Fingers, The Members plus a few others at the centre, Top Rank Dome Xtreems etc

Great days, so many great gigs

Fantastic list - some of my favourite bands in there; saw The Ramones, Undertones, Stranglers, Buzzcocks, Killing Joke, Pretenders, Bauhaus, 999, The Clash, The Jam, Skids, Stiff Little Fingers, New Order, The Fall, Skids, Big Country, at various Brighton Venues in late 1970s and early 1980s.

Also: Siouxsie and the Banshees, Gang of Four, Mekons, Au Pairs (the last three at the Art College on Grand Parade).

Oh, and saw U2 on their first ever tour (they rocked then, believe it or not, before they became a stadium band, and Bono developed an ego the size of Africa), playing to about 200 people on a wet Sunday night at, er, Jenkinsons!

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
I do remember club 66 at Brighton Poly on a Friday night. That was my drunken era & my recollections are vague. Remember jumping into the fountain fully clothed. Must have been circa 1971.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Brighton art college ??? see the Ruts there , didn't have a ticket but paid a bloke £10 to let me and my bruv jump over the gate around the side of the building :guitar: GOT INSIDE AND A FEW CAMBRIDGE SKINS MADE THEMSELVES KNOWN :guns:
regards
DR

If you're in a rut you've gotta get out of it, out of it, out of it, out of it, yeah!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Part of a week of gigs down the Zap Club that were broadcast on Radio 1 some 20 years.

Often supported these animal men, before they went all new wave and were a crusty band. Hooligan was just Julian back then (and one of the least hooligan like people I have ever met). :)

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Was lucky enough to see The Ruts doing Babylon's Burning on TOTP when I worked at the BBC. Bumped into Malcolm Owen in the bar. Said something like cracking single, shame about the cover (it was a white sleeve with red triangles, a bit average for the time). '**** off' he said 'I designed that'. He was wearing a black and white polka dot shirt. About a week later he was dead.

Owen's last gig was in Feb 1980 at Plymouth Poly and he died in July. Time passed so quickly in those days!

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
That brings back memories, nicking posters :whistle:

I had a Damned poster off a board about 5 minutes after it had gone up.

We used to "collect" them from outside the council building in the Steine. There used to be a couple of rows of cases advertising events at the Dome etc. Derek and the Dominoes was one :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here