Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Long gone Brighton bands/Lost venues

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Fantastic list - some of my favourite bands in there; saw The Ramones, Undertones, Stranglers, Buzzcocks, Killing Joke, Pretenders, Bauhaus, 999, The Clash, The Jam, Skids, Stiff Little Fingers, New Order, The Fall, Skids, Big Country, at various Brighton Venues in late 1970s and early 1980s.

Also: Siouxsie and the Banshees, Gang of Four, Mekons, Au Pairs (the last three at the Art College on Grand Parade).

Oh, and saw U2 on their first ever tour (they rocked then, believe it or not, before they became a stadium band, and Bono developed an ego the size of Africa), playing to about 200 people on a wet Sunday night at, er, Jenkinsons!

Impressive list from you here.
I remember U2 playing Jenkinsons, but I didn't go as I wasn't into them, some of the lads I went to gigs with at the time went.
As mentioned in an earlier post I saw Simple Minds there on a Sunday night, I only went to that because a good mate had their first single.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
The APL badge wearers were predominantly Depressions fans, and Depressions hangers on who we're indeed jealous of the Piranhas initial moderate success(pre Tom Hark they were signed to Virgin, and things were looking very positive), and then the success of Tom Hark put them on a different level. My dad was The Piranhas manager between late 77 and 81, disposed of after the success of Tom Hark, primarily thanks to Pete Waterman. Supporting the Jam on the Sound Affects tour was probably their greatest achievement - if you don't count having a tune you didn't write played at football grounds when the home team scored.
The DP's were a great band, but a nasty incident at one of their gigs put paid to people going to see them, and their popularity waned, and then Dave Barnard formed the Vandells

I always had a soft spot for the Piranhas because the Sunday night gigs at The Buccaneer were good fun.
My old school music teacher Mr Murray ( think his first name was Andy) joined them when they got successful.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Saw loads of local bands in loads of venues in the late 70's, great times.
With regard to the Vaultage albums, I used to have a link to download them all, if anyone's interested I'll see if I can find it ?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Saw loads of local bands in loads of venues in the late 70's, great times.
With regard to the Vaultage albums, I used to have a link to download them all, if anyone's interested I'll see if I can find it ?

I would be interested, thanks.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Top Rank Suite ROCK NIGHT early seventies:rock::drink:---unknown (to me)GERMAN BAND called Scorpions.
I remember the lead guitarist dressed as a Sioux Chief and being deaf the following day:ohmy:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
My dad was The Piranhas manager between late 77 and 81, disposed of after the success of Tom Hark, primarily thanks to Pete Waterman.

Is your dad Tony Byford? That's the name in my ancient manky address book as a contact for the Piranhas along with an address in Buckingham Road and a five digit Brighton phone number! Also got the phone number for the Buccaneer (606**6) in there. Maybe time to think about getting a new address book... :lol:

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
East Wing - Brighton Centre
800 venue filling a gap between the 3/400 & the 2,000 Dome but totally unused these days. Why?
It was good enough for Oasis & the superb Manics on the way up, where are others going now or they not coming to town?

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
Brighton Riot Squad at the Crypt. Probably the finest future retro punk experience anyone could have.

Sadly no longer but momentous for a while at least.

TNBA

TTF

I suspect you may be Miles the guitarist, am I right? Either that or Frank the Ted drummer which I doubt...Max the singer is Gwylan and I was the bass player, so process of deduction. One gig, and we were indeed worse than Crystal Palace. And we used to call it the Vault not the Crypt (hence Vaultage) Joby and the Hooligans (with Helen McCookerybook on bass who became the singer of Helen & the Horns) supported us at that gig. My memoirs of the vault are on punkbrighton....

scooter1

How soon is now?
Is your dad Tony Byford? That's the name in my ancient manky address book as a contact for the Piranhas along with an address in Buckingham Road and a five digit Brighton phone number! Also got the phone number for the Buccaneer (606**6) in there. Maybe time to think about getting a new address book... :lol:
Yep, should read 90 Buckingham Rd, as that's where we lived at that time. 29234 was our old number as I recall, but may have changed when he move up the road. Phil his brother, my uncle, runs www.punkbrighton.co.uk

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
I suspect you may be Miles the guitarist, am I right? Either that or Frank the Ted drummer which I doubt...Max the singer is Gwylan and I was the bass player, so process of deduction. One gig, and we were indeed worse than Crystal Palace. And we used to call it the Vault not the Crypt (hence Vaultage) Joby and the Hooligans (with Helen McCookerybook on bass who became the singer of Helen & the Horns) supported us at that gig. My memoirs of the vault are on punkbrighton....

Indeed I am Atilla. Ted oh Ted where is he now. Less rhythm than a single drum stick in space.

Worse than Palace? Ouch!

Fancy a reunion gig at Wembley sometime in May?

TNBA

TTF

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here