[Football] Liverpool and Manchester United lead ‘European League’ breakout league idea

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Chelsea are pulling out.
I really hope that if, as you'd imagine, the whole thing is put to bed by the end of the week, that the clubs are still penalised.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I don't know, but clearly the people who run those clubs think they can keep the international audience / revenue without the Premier League. Look, I also don't like it. The idea of no relegation takes out half the fun out football for me. But because we don't like something isn't the point. The point is whether United can walk and take their TV money. For my part, I don't really care that much if they can. I'm willing to say cheerio whilst feeling sorry for their fans from Manchester. Then we can play Palace and Portsmouth in a properly competitive game while Man United are just a show team. Either way, is the status quo a possibility? I'm not sure it is. There is change afoot, driven by a justifiable desire of United (a quoted company that has to account to shareholders) to keep what they think is their revenue. What that change is, perhaps is the question.

Well it has been our primary source of entertainment the past four seasons :)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't know, but clearly the people who run those clubs think they can keep the international audience / revenue without the Premier League.
That's actually not clear, because they haven't said they're leaving the PL, they want to stay in the PL. And obviously I don't know either, but I'm quite confident they'd back down if they had to leave the PL, and we carried on with the CL without them. If you take Man U, Chelsea, City, Arsenal and Spurs together, I think that's 4 CL (/EC) total wins. Ajax have won as much as that crap lot on their own, and Bayern Munich have won more. I'm quite happy to have a PL and CL without them, and I won't be alone. Football will win, they will lose.

But because we don't like something isn't the point.
I never said it was. None of my argument referenced whether or not any of us like it.
The point is whether United can walk and take their TV money. For my part, I don't really care that much if they can.
My point, which I think you're overlooking in this particular post, is that the money won't go with them (even if theyu go). People would quickly tire of watching Madrid vs United, while the rest of Europe carries on with proper football, which will again entice the foreign fans back.

I'm willing to say cheerio whilst feeling sorry for their fans from Manchester. Then we can play Palace and Portsmouth in a properly competitive game while Man United are just a show team.
Same (except the Portsmouth are nowhere near the PL).

Either way, is the status quo a possibility? I'm not sure it is.
I think so.
There is change afoot, driven by a justifiable desire of United (a quoted company that has to account to shareholders) to keep what they think is their revenue.
You say that is justifiable, I say it isn't. It's not their ****ing revenue, it never has been!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Indeed, they were rumoured to be flakey but those American ****s at Man Utd, Liverpool & Arsenal are going to be a lot harder to stop.

No one cares whether Spurs are in or out.

One down, five to go.

Real Madrid and Juve drove the whole thing. Lewis and Levy of Spurs were big promoters, to clear the debt from the £1B stadium, plus they would’ve played in the major European tournament without earning it.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Welcome back Chelsea here's 30 point deduction for even looking greedy

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
JP Morgan initially, (£3 Billion plus promised)
Are you sure that £3b is a payment, not loan? And is it not dependent on the clubs being allowed to go ahead by their domestic leagues, with those leagues agreeing to send 5 lambs into the competition each year?

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
Chelsea are pulling out.
I really hope that if, as you'd imagine, the whole thing is put to bed by the end of the week, that the clubs are still penalised.

I thibk a certain russian businessman has received a phonecall from a certain russian head of state, informing him that he is about to lose a number of other russian bussinessmen a lot of money, and it may be prudent for him to reconsider his position.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Chelsea dropping out which means massive Wednesday will take their place

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
And this is the big question.
Who is going to blink first.

i think this is the last chance. If the big 6 get their way on this one, it's all over.
With the other 14 having just given way on the international TV deal, so the Big 6 got a bigger share, it's taking the piss to do this now.

Hopefully the Premier league will force the big 6 to accept they need the Premier League as much as the Premier League needs them.

I agree, but I also think that the PL/FA shouldnt give 1 inch to them.....rumours today of one of the clubs officials in the 6 calling one of the other 14 and saying we dont want to leave the PL we just want to be listened to....... Well that cant happen now imho. Its like not giving in to terrorism as it just encourages more.

Maybe at some future point the objections of some of the 6 in England can be looked at but not on the back of this brazen attempt to hold guns to the head of everyone in football.

The trouble is, I see these insatiably greedy self serving owners as similarly fanatical as someone like Nicola Sturgeon is for Scottish independence....Whatever you concede they will take and even if that means regrouping a bit nearer the final goal, they will ever accept anything less than that end goal will never stop until they get it.

Any concession to the Glazers will not stop them trying and trying again..... they must be soundly defeated

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I think Bezos started Amazon from his own garage. He didn't copy it (like Alibaba). He thought of it, and most importantly, he took a risk and he made it happen. I think that he should get some credit for being a genuine disrupter. He saw the 4th industrial revolution coming before most people and more importantly he created a business using that foresight. I think fair play to him.

Well said. Bezos is a very smart, visionary guy who’d have been a success at another business if not Amazon.

Nah.

I don't care how it started. Any more than I care how the Glazers made their initial money. I care about how it is run now. I care about how workers are treated, tax avoided and small companies crushed. There are parallels. In the Amazon scenario though it is we, the consumers, that play the part of 'global fanbase' of the greedy big six clubs. We are given what we think we want and we dont think, or perhaps don't care, about the impact elsewhere.

This is the process of financialization. Creating monopolies and oligopolies and turning things that matter to people, that provide services and jobs and pleasure for people into money making opportunities to make the rich richer.

As far as I’m aware Mr Bezos is breaking no laws and has created employment opportunities and jobs for millions of people. He’s completely self made and had no golden spoon to get him where he is. Have you created jobs for anyone?

Easy to resent successful people.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
If true, City next

I expected City to withdraw first. Must be odds on now.

Their owners are very very sensitive as to how they’re portrayed, and anything to do with greed or ruining legacy of a club or sport will be upsetting to them. I don’t think any of these owners expected this universal backlash and with government getting involved.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Apparently City now planning to leave. The dominoes are falling

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Yup. Just heard from a ‘sauce’ City are pulling out too, possibly tonight

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports