Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Let's have a nice civilised chat about Jason Steele

brighton_dave

Apr 13, 2016
Lovely little dummy second half where he implied he was going to put his foot though it and slotted a nice little pass into Midfield.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Unfortunately Steele is happy to play a bit part and earn decent money for sitting on the bench. No where good enough to challenge Sanchez and would be a disaster if he had to play a few games back to back!
That aged well between the date of posting and the end of the season :lolol: :facepalm:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
You do realise this will draw in all the Steele haters.
I couldn't give a shite. I'm of the opinion that, as fans, we should get behind whoever is playing for the Albion (assuming they are putting in the effort, which Steele does). If people don't like that/agree with that, they can do one.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
I like Steele but so many goals scored down the middle of the goal.

Seems a great bloke and has big assets with how we play but he's a championship / back up Gk for me.
Hmm, now whose opinion of Jason Steele should I trust: Napper's or De Zerbi's? :)

Sarcasm aside, I think some people have had trouble shaking off the Sunderland image of Jason but I honestly think he's blossomed at Brighton, and especially under Roberto. He's turned in some great performances in recent months and I'm bloody delighted for him. Remember, the last very bad GK mistake (Bournemouth) was Bart's. All goalies make cock-ups but ours are pretty solid on the whole. Let's face it, we concede a lot of goals but it would be a bit mean to blame that on Jason and Bart. I'm afraid our defence has not been solid this season at all.

Last edited:

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I think that we will always concede goals with him in the team because he's not capable of making unexpected saves. The second goal last night was desperately poor and the goals at Villa really highlighted how inevitable it is that he will concede goals. He's not at fault for most of them, he just doesn't make saves you wouldn't expect. He is in the team more for his footballing ability than he is for any shot stopping capabilities.

I think the comparison I've made before with John Sullivan is apt. Sullivan conceded a lot of goals for us, Portsmouth and Charlton. It was inevitable because although he isn't directly at fault for most of them, he just isn't capable of making the saves which a top goalkeeper would do. I think Sanchez would have conceded far fewer goals this season as Michel Kuipers conceded far fewer when he replaced Sullivan. But Steele is being picked for his overall game and RDZ has shown no sign of losing faith in his goalkeeper, despite clean sheets being beyond us so far this season (when Bart has also played).

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
I think that we will always concede goals with him in the team because he's not capable of making unexpected saves. The second goal last night was desperately poor and the goals at Villa really highlighted how inevitable it is that he will concede goals. He's not at fault for most of them, he just doesn't make saves you wouldn't expect. He is in the team more for his footballing ability than he is for any shot stopping capabilities.

I think the comparison I've made before with John Sullivan is apt. Sullivan conceded a lot of goals for us, Portsmouth and Charlton. It was inevitable because although he isn't directly at fault for most of them, he just isn't capable of making the saves which a top goalkeeper would do. I think Sanchez would have conceded far fewer goals this season as Michel Kuipers conceded far fewer when he replaced Sullivan. But Steele is being picked for his overall game and RDZ has shown no sign of losing faith in his goalkeeper, despite clean sheets being beyond us so far this season (when Bart has also played).
But Sanchez makes cock-ups and has a bad attitude. Again, no goalie is perfect so you have to take them in the round. Being good with his feet and being courageous are top attributes for a modern GK and I guess RDZ puts a high value on them in the context of the way he wants us to play. Hence preferring Steele over Sanchez.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I couldn't give a shite. I'm of the opinion that, as fans, we should get behind whoever is playing for the Albion (assuming they are putting in the effort, which Steele does). If people don't like that/agree with that, they can do one.

I often think of these online vendettas as follows, it was the same when Solly was loathed by quite a few a year ago ["no end product / not PL quality / unworthy of a starting place”]. You would’ve beenforgiven for thinking that 40% of Albion supporters wanted Solly out. But during Amex games fan WS and NS fans would stand en masse to applaud him warming up, singing his chant.

Last edited:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Happily to have a civilised chat about Steele. Seems a really nice guy, popular, committed, works hard, incredibly skilful with his feet, hardly makes a mistake, model pro, I like him a lot. And, unfortunately, i would like to see him back on the bench. I want a keeper that will bail out his his defence when they make a mistake, who can pull out a worldie, who can, for example, stop a hard hit shot whacked right at him when his captain makes a f*** up in the south of France. I want that on top of all the attributes listed above of course, but if we have to have a trade off I'll go with the shot stopping :shrug:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Happily to have a civilised chat about Steele. Seems a really nice guy, popular, committed, works hard, incredibly skilful with his feet, hardly makes a mistake, model pro, I like him a lot. And, unfortunately, i would like to see him back on the bench. I want a keeper that will bail out his his defence when they make a mistake, who can pull out a worldie, who can, for example, stop a hard hit shot whacked right at him when his captain makes a f*** up in the south of France. I want that on top of all the attributes listed above of course, but if we have to have a trade off I'll go with the shot stopping :shrug:
Pretty much all of this.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
Was watching Steele last night and, in the early stages of the game, I wondered if that was the longest any one player in history had ever had sole possession of the football. Went on for ages. He should have his own possession stats really.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Like this guy?

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I often think of these online vendettas as follows, it was the same when Solly was loathed by quite a few a year ago ["no end product / not PL quality / unworthy of a starting place]. You'd be forgiven for thinking 40% of Albion supporters wanted him out. Then, during Amex games fans in the WS and NS fans would stand en masse to applaud him warming up, singing his chant.
It’s those people that forced him to take up his side hussle in the Italian riot police. He’s been great ever since. Well done those folk!

As for Steele is he the best keeper at the club at the moment? For me yes therefore he deserves his place. It really is that simple of an argument for that position.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Sanchez, Steele and Verbruggen all struggle to save the chances we give up.
That has more to do with the xg of the chances , than their shot-stopping abilities.

Steele pulls off enough decent saves to warrant his place in the side.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto

I think it may have taken a deflection.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
Sanchez, Steele and Verbruggen all struggle to save the chances we give up.
That has more to do with the xg of the chances , than their shot-stopping abilities.

Steele pulls off enough decent saves to warrant his place in the side.

He really doesn't.

He makes saves that he is expected to make, he's super consistent in that regard, but decent saves... no.

Any kind of quality shot against him and he's just not going to get them. He's super consistent in that regard too.

If we have serious ambitions of remaining a top 6 side we need a decent goalkeeper... it's a position that can really be the difference between 0 or 3 points.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I 100% agree. It's why I have no time for those people hounding Buonanotte at the moment. I have only one ask of a player: Try hard, work hard & do your best. If you're doing that (other than the odd heated frustration at a game), I think we should get behind the team.

Now, Leon Best, Chuba Akpom and Ryan Harley on the other hand? Get oot ma club! And thankfully, they did because they were just chancers

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here