Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Let's have a nice civilised chat about Jason Steele

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Steele made his PL debut for Villa (A) earlier this season. He wasn’t at fault for either of their late goals and had a decent game . McGill has already been on the bench (and travelled with team in more) in a couple of games so assume he is now our #3 - given Scherpen on loan.

This.

Actually, had a very good game IMO.

People get wrapped up in the Sunderland documentary, when his confidence was low in a what was a woeful team. The reality, is that he was good enough for England U21s, and other than the Newport error, which he more than redeemed himself for, he hasn’t let us down and is actually a very capable back-up.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Seen him play in a couple of cup games , does not fill me with much confidence from what I have seen

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
No problem with Jason Steele. Decent back up, expect him to come in and do a decent job. Wouldn't want him as #1 at this level of competition, but I've seen enough of him to know he's competent as cover.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Interestingly, or not, he still lives in the North East. His kids go to the same school as mine and I see him a fair bit on the school run. He must only do a max of 2-3 days a week training!
That is fascinating, to someone who has no idea about the life of a footballer let alone a backup.

Agree with the comments about him being judged too much on the documentary. Anyone can have one duff season, doesn't mean they are a total liability. Look at David De Gea for a recent example.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Interestingly, or not, he still lives in the North East. His kids go to the same school as mine and I see him a fair bit on the school run. He must only do a max of 2-3 days a week training!

He lives in the flats next door to me. Assume it is just a casual base and not his permanent home, Lallana is in the same block.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
This.

Actually, had a very good game IMO.

People get wrapped up in the Sunderland documentary, when his confidence was low in a what was a woeful team. The reality, is that he was good enough for England U21s, and other than the Newport error, which he more than redeemed himself for, he hasn’t let us down and is actually a very capable back-up.

Not quite so sure l have as much confidence in Jason Steele as you do! I do think though that the time has come to give Sanchez a rest from the team, he seems to be a nervous wreck at the moment and an error is never far away.

A break away from the match day squad and a spell on the training ground could do his confidence the world of good. He is still young in goalkeeping terms and has proved that he is a quality keeper when at his best. He will be back revatilised and refreshed soon enough l'm sure.

Meanwhile let's see what Steele can do. He is our current backup keeper after all, and his chance to prove a few doubters wrong perhaps.

Jul 7, 2003
He lives in the flats next door to me. Assume it is just a casual base and not his permanent home, Lallana is in the same block.

I don't think Premier League footballers would describe them as flats - surely these are luxury apartments:lolol:

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
I saw him on some TV coverage of one of our games recently where he was standing in the tunnel before the 2nd half, geeing up the lads for the 2nd half. Giving massages and fist bumps like a boxing trainer. Sounds a bit silly, but he didn't have to do that. Struck me as a nice thing to do when most 2nd choice GK's might live a very disconnected experience from the first team. Made me appreciate what little input he has a bit more. Hope he has a good game and equally hope Sanchez gets well soon, whatever might be keeping him out.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
How many mistakes has Sanchez actually made?
I’d guess about 10% of the number that say Maupay or Trossard, or dare I say it Dunk has in the last 6 games.
I still go back to the disgraceful behaviour of so called senior ‘pro’ Duffy v Burnley to when Sanchez’s confidence started to look questionable.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
How many mistakes has Sanchez actually made?
I’d guess about 10% of the number that say Maupay or Trossard, or dare I say it Dunk has in the last 6 games.
I still go back to the disgraceful behaviour of so called senior ‘pro’ Duffy v Burnley to when Sanchez’s confidence started to look questionable.

Sanchez was shot well before that. We were talking about how poor his kicking was at West Ham away which was December.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here