Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leon to leave - on SSN now...

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Locky said:
Reported in the Sun today:

Headline....... Mutiny on the Buses

Brighton Boss Mark McGhee tried to throw Leon Knight off the team bus on the way to Southampton.
Albions players had to step in and stop their manager after he got involved in another amazing bust up with his 5ft 5" hitman.
Brighrton Chairman Dick Knight is said to be furious with his manger.

It was triggered when striker Knight tried to intervene as peacemaker after a heated debate about Michel Kuipers being axed from the game.

McGhee was incensed the forward had spoken up in defence of his team mate and declared he too was now out of the side.

It was only after the actions of certain other players that forced the fiery Scot to change his mind and let him stay.

Personally (if this is true) I think McGhee has lost the plot !!

Well, well, well.

The bit about Dick Knight is interesting. Spoke to him after the match for a bit and he seemed REALLY pissed off about something. He didn't want to discuss the match at all then went nuts about Norman Baker, whilst everyone around was looking a bit suprised at how candid he was being!

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
y2dave said:
Don't blame Magoo. This is Knights agent offering his version. A guy I work with was given pretty much the same statement.

Race has already denied that players intervened. My hunch is Leon was being a shit.

I double that.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
dwayne said:

What would be wrong with that?

Tudgay is not wanted by Derby. He's only on loan at Sheff Wed so will become available at the end of the loan. If Derby want Leon and don't want Tudgay and we're in need of a striker who can score, what would be the problem of a swap deal?

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
to be honest no one knows what happened apart from the players themselves and with all due respect to race i expect her tongue is tied somewhat.

i am just fed up of the whole sorry affair and sorry majority of nsc but its not good publicity and its not good to get rid of knight. plenty of you seem to have a go at people taking leons side however i dont see much evidence for taking magoons either.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Locky said:
Reported in the Sun today:

Headline....... Mutiny on the Buses

Brighton Boss Mark McGhee tried to throw Leon Knight off the team bus on the way to Southampton.
Albions players had to step in and stop their manager after he got involved in another amazing bust up with his 5ft 5" hitman.
Brighrton Chairman Dick Knight is said to be furious with his manger.

It was triggered when striker Knight tried to intervene as peacemaker after a heated debate about Michel Kuipers being axed from the game.

McGhee was incensed the forward had spoken up in defence of his team mate and declared he too was now out of the side.

It was only after the actions of certain other players that forced the fiery Scot to change his mind and let him stay.

Personally (if this is true) I think McGhee has lost the plot !!
Yes, I always believe the Sun too. :)

To say, "McGhee was incensed the forward had spoken up in defence of his team mate and declared he too was now out of the side." is planting the blame firmly on the manager, which sounds like someone with an agenda at work.

And I would seriously doubt Dick Knight would willingly talk to the Sun. A feed from Leon's agent to try and split the management, peut etre?

Apparently, and I am not naming my source (yeah, I know it devalues the claim a bit, so make of it what you will), but Leon called McGhee 'out of order' for dropping FDM.

Whatever, this is f***ing unpleasant to the whole club, and I seriously it is sorted one way or the other pretty sharpish.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
dwayne said:
Well, well, well.

The bit about Dick Knight is interesting. Spoke to him after the match for a bit and he seemed REALLY pissed off about something. He didn't want to discuss the match at all then went nuts about Norman Baker, whilst everyone around was looking a bit suprised at how candid he was being!
I suspect if Dick came face to face with Norm, he would want headbutt that piece of shit around the room for a couple of hours.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Locky said:
I think it might be better for the players to travel to away games with the fans rather than the team bus and management.

Great idea... 6 cans of Stella on a delayed train, and a substitute bus service !

Ideal preparation for a professional football match !
:lolol:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Sun's account pretty much ties up with the Argus account (which is now online tho it wasn't earlier - apologies if it's already been posted):

"Leon Knight admitted today his Albion career is over following a bust-up on the team coach with manager Mark McGhee.

The pair fell out on the way to yesterday's game at Southampton after Knight voiced his disapproval over McGhee's decision to drop goalkeeper Michel Kuipers.

The striker, due to be on the bench, was axed from the squad and claims McGhee encouraged him at one point to get off the coach.

Knight, already on the transfer list at his own request, now seems certain to leave the Seagulls during this month's transfer window.

He said: "This leaves me with nowhere to go at Brighton. I'm not itching to get away, because I want to do well for the boys and the fans, but I've got to think about myself and how I am going to forward my career.

"The only way I can see I can do that now is by leaving Brighton."

The clash is the latest twist in a saga which began with Knight being dropped from the squad for the home game against Hull on December 16 and leaving Withdean in a huff without watching the match.

McGhee called into question his attitude, particularly to training, and he was in and out of the side over the three-match Christmas period after handing in a written transfer request.

Matters came to a head yesterday with Knight excluded from the starting line-up in the absence of ten players through injury, suspension and illness and Florent Chaigneau preferred in goal to Kuipers.

"I was trying to be a peacemaker over Michel being dropped and I got the rap for it," Knight said. "Michel was going into one with Dean White (coach) outside the coach as we left the hotel.

"I said to Michel 'It's done, the manager isn't going to change his mind. In my opinion they don't know what they are doing'.

"Later, on the coach, Dean White told me the manager wanted to speak to me. I told him in my opinion leaving Michel out was a mistake. He didn't like that and told me I was off the bench. I said 'You can do whatever you like, that's fine'. He said 'Okay then, get off the coach'. I would have if I could have but we were in the country somewhere and there was nowhere to get off.

After that the manager didn't want me in the changing room.

"I haven't got a problem with Mark McGhee, I think Mark McGhee has got a problem with me. Perhaps he doesn't like me mouthing off on the training field but I've always been the same, I speak my mind.

"If he thinks my attitude is wrong it isn't, I just want to win. Some managers accept the way I go on, some think it's offensive and they don't like it.

"I hear things like I turn up late for training. I live near Ascot and sometimes there are accidents or hold-ups on the M25. If I am going to be late I always call Bob Booker (assistant manager)."

Knight, signed by former manager Steve Coppell on a free transfer from Chelsea two seasons ago, accepts his days with Albion are now numbered. "I handed in a written transfer request about two weeks ago, a few days after the Hull game,"

he revealed. "I can't see a way for me to be at the club any longer, even though I'd love to be.

"I am prepared to go anywhere that I feel the management is right and where they play good football. I had no control over Mark McGhee joining the club. Steve Coppell left and went onto bigger and better things (at Reading).

"I'm not in a rush to go anywhere, I'm not desperate to get out and I'd like to stress that to the fans. If he (McGhee) wants to keep me on the bench then when I come on I will do my best."

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Titanic said:
Great idea... 6 cans of Stella on a delayed train, and a substitute bus service !

Ideal preparation for a professional football match !
:lolol:

If they can with the GDC we could guarantee first class travel at a reduced rate, champagne, claret, port, cider, cooked meats, cheeses and the like and we will have them at their destination by 11am.

Sorted then.

Oct 20, 2004
walsall
lets face it, since mcghee became manager, knights goals have dried up, now is that related to Mcghee? The point is, they don't get on and that is no good for the club, Knight is talented but not bigger than the club so lets cash in now or in the summer when tribunal kicks in.
The main worry for me is for the first time in numerous years we have numerous players in public battles with the manager. Not the environment you want for a relegation battle!

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Just to go off topic slightly...

"Steve Coppell left and went onto bigger and better things (at Reading)."

I like the way Naylor has had to put 'at Reading' in brackets implying that it's a little bit unbelievable that Reading could be bigger and better :D

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Black Country Seagull said:
lets face it, since mcghee became manager, knights goals have dried up, now is that related to Mcghee?

The minute he gets a transfer to a club where he's allowed to play mainly inside the box and gets the ball played to his feet, instead of the Albion's aimless hoofing, or playing him on the wing or midfield, Leon will once again score a shitload of goals. Leon Knight, he's alright :thumbsup:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Black Country Seagull said:
lets face it, since mcghee became manager, knights goals have dried up, now is that related to Mcghee? The point is, they don't get on and that is no good for the club, Knight is talented but not bigger than the club so lets cash in now or in the summer when tribunal kicks in.
No one is bigger and better than the club I agree. Not Knight, not McGhee.

But as you said, Knight is talented.

plymouth nige

plymouth nige
Oct 21, 2003
plymouth

Knight's goals dried up more or less after Coppell left

wcnige

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
dwayne said:
The bit about Dick Knight is interesting. Spoke to him after the match for a bit and he seemed REALLY pissed off about something. He didn't want to discuss the match at all then went nuts about Norman Baker, whilst everyone around was looking a bit surprised at how candid he was being!
Norman Baker-Bellotti is the enemy-the great Satan.

Loft23

Dec 11, 2004
Burgess Hill
Silent Bob said:
No one is bigger and better than the club I agree. Not Knight, not McGhee.

But as you said, Knight is talented.

He was talented and still is but he doesn't seem to play well with our current side. Personally I feel if he was to go, it would be to a League One side who can see that he has scored goals there before. Why would a team at the top of the Championship want to sign a striker who has only scored 9 league goals in a year and a half in the Championship?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I agree with the scottish one..

Mcghee's method of getting balls to the forwards is to hoof it high...this was never going to suit leon.

Also of course, MM did his famous " he is a striker therefore I will play him out of position obviously" routine by moving him into midfield which was a rip roaring sucess wasn't it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here