Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leon best [signs on a half-year loan]

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Agreed. Doesn't matter where we finish as long as its 21st or above. Obviously the further up the table the better!

Hughton can shift out the dead wood and stamp his own mark on the team heading into next season, hopefully with Tony's generous financial backing. :)

Meanwhile the club loses thousands of ST's. And these wonderful mythical new players who we're not going to sign in the summer look at our league position at the end of the season, and think; "No. I'd rather join another club with real Prem ambitions." Great plan.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
On the plus side it is minimal expense and effort for everyone to convert their BENT shirt lettering to BEST.

A reasonable, although granted not an exceptional, signing.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Steve McLaren: "He has been an absolute gem - a model professional," McClaren said. "His attitude has been great every day. He has just been unfortunate that he has been behind Chris Martin, who has been incredible for the first half of the season."

Hmmm, I bet Hughton would say the same about CMS if he leaves this window, 'model professional, worked tirelessly, unlucky etc etc'. All well and good but think we need someone to actually put the ball in the net consistently, not just be a nice guy.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Steve McLaren: "He has been an absolute gem - a model professional," McClaren said. "His attitude has been great every day. He has just been unfortunate that he has been behind Chris Martin, who has been incredible for the first half of the season."

Yes, he's been so great he doesn't get a start. Doesn't get a goal. Nice words, but not backed-up by the Brolly Wally's actions.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I was trying to think of the name of the striker who scored 4 (I think) against us for Northampton when they tonked us 8-0 in a league cup replay in 1966. I'm sure that was Best.

That aside if Leon can bring Baldock and/or CMS or Colunga into play he will be doing the job we need. He doesn't need to be a goalscorer to change the way we play and let others do what they have been successful at elsewhere.

is the correct answer
and so far post of the week

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Meanwhile the club loses thousands of ST's. And these wonderful mythical new players who we're not going to sign in the summer look at our league position at the end of the season, and think; "No. I'd rather join another club with real Prem ambitions." Great plan.

It's amazing that you can see into the future so clearly :lol:

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I really don't know what people were expecting in this transfer window ???

Give the lad a chance ffs.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Yes, he's been so great he doesn't get a start. Doesn't get a goal. Nice words, but not backed-up by the Brolly Wally's actions.

Behind the most prolific striker in the Championship over the past season and a half... Yes I would drop Chris Martin....

leigull

Sep 26, 2010

I'll be giving him full support tomorrow night if he plays and willing him to do the business, just sharing my initial reaction that he's no improvement to what we have already. I fully appreciate he'll probably take a few games to get going so won't be screaming for him to be subbed or shipped out if he starts off poorly.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Now find out the reasons why he lasted just 18 months in all roles beforehand.

The players Southampton recruited during his tenure as Scouting & Recruitment Manager were pretty average to say the least and none have gone on to be a massive success

Danny Butterfield (free) - Now at Exeter
Jonathan Forte (Undisc) - now at Oldham
Richard Chaplow (Undisc) - Now at Millwall
Jack Stephens (£150k from Plymouth) - On loan to Swindon for two seasons
Jack Cork - One success but has figured little this year
Steve De Ridder - Contract cancelled by mutual consent
Daniel Fox - Now at Forest and played only 12 games this season
Jas Hooivield - Initial success but now at Norwich on loan

So ok, lets look at his record at Man City where he was responsible for talent identification and opposition scouting reports...Nothing here to suggest that he should have been put in charge of what he was at the Albion.

Then onto Fulham where he was the Talent Identification & Recruitment maneger for their Scouting Department, but under Les Reed who is a very respected scout & coach.

So basically, all of those amazing players you've alluded to in your post, are nothing to do with Burke, who, lets face it, given his record should never have been appointed as Head of Football Operations

Thanks for that, explains a lot.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
We cant even blame Burke for this signing. Its going to be a painful remainder of the season.

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003

Agreed, we need a forward who can bring something new to our attacking options and CH must know what he's doing. You don't have to be Sherlock Holmes to work out why he didn't get much game time at Derby.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
It's amazing that you can see into the future so clearly :lol:

None of us can. But the board's continued under-investment in our squad is already impacting our real, as opposed to reported, attendances. You don't have to able to see the future to see that.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I'm just glad that potential players don't read forums like this - they'd never want to join considering they're immediately not good enough.

Lets judge him once he's started playing for us.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
I'm just glad that potential players don't read forums like this - they'd never want to join considering they're immediately not good enough.

Lets judge him once he's started playing for us.

He has played 240 times and scored 54 goals in his career. Not a good return for a striker, we already have Strikers who cant score why bring in another?

We have replaced Ulloa with dross and loan signings.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here