Learning to love David Burke - "I’m not here to try and become the first team manager"

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I see Jesse Lindgard was holding his Albion shirt up for Snappy at The Amex last night.

Oh how I hope David Burke was reading this thread last night and this morning, laughing his Bollox off after he signed Jesse while certain NSC'ers were criticising him.

How dare Burke sign a decent player, it’s bang out of order, some people will have to get a life now :shrug:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
How dare Burke sign a decent player, it’s bang out of order, some people will have to get a life now :shrug:
Don't panic, if he doesn't set the world alight on Saturday, we can blame Burke and Jones for wasting our money on a player that a) we've not even been bothered to play from the start, or b) clearly isn't interested in playing for us, and is just passing time until he returns to united.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Don't panic, if he doesn't set the world alight on Saturday, we can blame Burke and Jones for wasting our money on a player that a) we've not even been bothered to play from the start, or b) clearly isn't interested in playing for us, and is just passing time until he returns to united.

I hope you are right and that normal service will resume in 49.5 hours.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I disagree. There is nothing to say that 'Head of Football Operations' has some kind of totalitarian control over matters. A responsibility yes, but that doesn't mean complete control / most important job. The way I see that TB has things running is that he has a team working with each other for the benefit of the club with overlapping responsibilities. I don't for a second believe DB simply gives OG a list of players he can have, and alternatively this structure allows for OG to say what players he wants specifically, or generally, give this to DB to get them so that he can get on with organising the team.

No club has a perfect record with transfers and signings. It is football, at times completely baffling as to why a player whom looked the perfect fit just doesn't slot into their new team, or how a player that never really did it for you goes somewhere else and is a super star. It's football, it happens, no club is immune from it. People mention Fergie and Wenger but both have made some dreadful signings, and probably sold players they never should of.

Right now I think we get a fair amount of our transfers right, and to have 3 or 4 making the first team from the development squad is an incredible success rate for that system, and optimistic times ahead for young players we'll be attracting as well as established senior players with the new training facilities.

Far from a power struggle at the club, I do believe TB has created an effective team that can work TOGETHER for the greater good. I really don't understand this need for blaming an individual without any knowledge of the working relationships within the club.

I didn't say he had total[itarian] control. But below the chairman/owner, his is, or should be, the most important job because he should be thinking ahead about not only new signings but the next head coach if Oscar goes somewhere else. Actually, given Oscar's background and the things he has said since arriving here, I think he'd be perfect for this vital club-building role. He's got a brother ...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I'm just happy we've signed Jesse. Someone other than Leo might actually score now. Well done DB, OG et al.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Here's a list (off the top of my head) of players that have signed for us while Burke has been at the club:

Koosh, Bruno, Upson, Bridge, Ward, Chicksen, Maximenko, Orlandi, Stephens, Ince, Andrews, Agustien, Crofts, Hammond, Spanish Dave, Conway, March, Ulloa, Spanish Dave II, Dobbie, Obika, Lita, Vokes, Lindgard.

There are probably one or two that I've forgotten and presumably several more for the D.S. It's not too shabby a list is it? 8 of them are part of our strongest team and there aren't too many dud signings in there. I guess most of the criticism coming his way is due to January being a bit disappointing. Or just peoples need to moan and blame someone if things aren't going 100% perfectly.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I didn't say he had total[itarian] control. But below the chairman/owner, his is, or should be, the most important job because he should be thinking ahead about not only new signings but the next head coach if Oscar goes somewhere else. Actually, given Oscar's background and the things he has said since arriving here, I think he'd be perfect for this vital club-building role. He's got a brother ...

Wasn't he in The Grateful Dead?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
To be fair, a 90 day loan signing of a reserve striker is hardly the pinnacle of transfer activity is it. Strange point.

A reserve striker/attacking midfielder, highly regarded at Manchester United, so highly regarded that he was on the bench recently against Swansea. Do you not think that this is rather a coup?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Only if it works out, but there's nothing to suggest he won't be another Obika.

We'll see how he does, hopefully he will score a goal a game and send us up, but he might be another flop. Either way, a coup would have been a striker that would guarantee us goals and judging by his record Lingard isn't that.

A striker that guarantees scoring goals?? There is no such person. At least not within our budget, that's for sure.

Would you have been more positive if Gus was still here and made this signing?

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
To be fair, a 90 day loan signing of a reserve striker is hardly the pinnacle of transfer activity is it. Strange point.

What are the alternatives, seeing as the transfer window has closed? And don't say "should have signed someone sooner". What are the CURRENT alternatives? Or would you just like us to hold back any enthusiasm until whenever you're happy there's nothing to be enthusiastic about?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Even Bobby Z, although not specifically the type of player we're after, would guarantee goals and would have been a better signing IMO.
3 words:-

Money money money.

As implausible as a player who can 'guarantee goals' is, if such a player existed, how much money would you expect to pay for their services?
How much would you expect them to be currently earning?
How much do you think has been made available for a player who'd definitely behind Ulloa in the pecking order, and vying with Obika, S-Rod, CMS, Hoskins, not to mention the other 'winger-type' players?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I disagree completely. Read what ManU fans say about Lingard, and what Spurs fans say about Obika. I believe Lingard can offer more as a midfielder, and more to our team alongside Ulloa, than Obika.

I feel there may be fringe players that are proven goalscorers available, but perhaps Burke is unable to bring them in. Even Bobby Z, although not specifically the type of player we're after, would guarantee goals and would have been a better signing IMO.
No, the great Bobby Z would not guarantee goals. When did he last play, and when did he last score? And why would wealthy QPR want to loan him to a promotion chasing rival?

'perhaps Burke is unable to bring them in' seems like a pathetic thing to say. Like any player that turns us down, does so because of Burke, and nothing else.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I can't get enthusiastic about a young player with little experience and hardly any goals to his name, like Obika and Lingard. That might change when I see him, but I'm not optimistic.

They're not the same person though are they, how well Lingard plays has no relation to Obika. Do you think we should never sign any youngster on loan ever again just because Obika is shit?

Lingard is miles ahead of Obika in terms of pedigree.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009

Maybe it isnt. But considering, according to some of you bedwetters on here, that he has no qualifications, no experience and should be shown the door, then it is a feather in his cap, when you consider, nearly every other Championship club was after him.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009

We'll see how he does, hopefully he will score a goal a game and send us up, but he might be another flop. Either way, a coup would have been a striker that would guarantee us goals and judging by his record Lingard isn't that.

Why didnt Burke sign Suarez, get rid of him now. He is clearly out of his depth.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

Knowing our luck with injuries he will probably pick up a hamstring pull before Saturday anyway

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Knowing our luck with injuries he will probably pick up a hamstring pull before Saturday anyway
No he won't, we're away.

Players only get injured at the AMEX, and that's because the undersoil heating is too close to the surface of the pitch.

Honest I heard it...on NSC :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports