Learning to love David Burke - "I’m not here to try and become the first team manager"

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
There's no inherent problem with the structure. In fact I like the way it guarantees (in theory) continuity for a club's values and style whoever the manager/head coach/first team coach may be.

But it means that the DoF/technical director/whatever has arguably the most important job in the club. So you need the right person doing it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Some people are knobs.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
There's no inherent problem with the structure. In fact I like the way it guarantees (in theory) continuity for a club's values and style whoever the manager/head coach/first team coach may be.

But it means that the DoF/technical director/whatever has arguably the most important job in the club. So you need the right person doing it.

Do you believe David Burke is though?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I disagree. There is nothing to say that 'Head of Football Operations' has some kind of totalitarian control over matters. A responsibility yes, but that doesn't mean complete control / most important job. The way I see that TB has things running is that he has a team working with each other for the benefit of the club with overlapping responsibilities. I don't for a second believe DB simply gives OG a list of players he can have, and alternatively this structure allows for OG to say what players he wants specifically, or generally, give this to DB to get them so that he can get on with organising the team.

No club has a perfect record with transfers and signings. It is football, at times completely baffling as to why a player whom looked the perfect fit just doesn't slot into their new team, or how a player that never really did it for you goes somewhere else and is a super star. It's football, it happens, no club is immune from it. People mention Fergie and Wenger but both have made some dreadful signings, and probably sold players they never should of.

Right now I think we get a fair amount of our transfers right, and to have 3 or 4 making the first team from the development squad is an incredible success rate for that system, and optimistic times ahead for young players we'll be attracting as well as established senior players with the new training facilities.

Far from a power struggle at the club, I do believe TB has created an effective team that can work TOGETHER for the greater good. I really don't understand this need for blaming an individual without any knowledge of the working relationships within the club.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Absolutely, though I don't see how that's pertinent here.

Have you listened to the interview, or are you still going to plough your lone furrow?
Give it up Al, you me and everybody else on NSC know this is a pointless waste of your time.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
It seems to me that unless the back of the net is bulging (after a ten man move ) then Burke gets criticized over the clubs transfer policy.This Summer i hope will be less destructive than last ,and therefore i will wait until next season before i criticize our policy.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Back of the net bulging with three tap ins would do atm.We must be the lowest scorers in all four divisions, or certainly in the bottom six...We were promised atracking football. ..Garcias words, no one else's. Ulloa apart, we couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
If you understand the idea behind the role then you will know that they would not be given a player. Also, don't Real Madrid have a director of football? Mourinho did well there.

No he didn't.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Back of the net bulging with three tap ins would do atm.We must be the lowest scorers in all four divisions, or certainly in the bottom six...We were promised atracking football. ..Garcias words, no one else's. Ulloa apart, we couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo.

we do play attacking football, we just do not bury our chances.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

There are 25 other teams in the top 4 divisions that have scored equal or less goals than us so far this season. Obviously the PL is slightly skewed in that they have played less games, but you set the parameters.

You're not very good at this, are you?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The challenges for Burke are :

1 - ( with Oscar ) Find a solution to our poor record of taking our chances in front of goal.

2 - Improve the standard of the number 2 keeper.

3 - Retain our top players in the summer.

4 - Start to look at overhauling our aging defense.

Get these 4 right and we'll be much closer to the PL.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
I understand the idea behind the role. However, I just think that if a club is going to be really sucessful then the manager needs to be, and also wants to be, pulling the strings on player recruitment. I can't think of any of the great club managers who has had, or who has needed a director of football. Can you imagine SAF or Mourinho being given a player rather that finding the prospect them self. I know it is not them on the scouting missions but they instigate it all.

I would say that they don't always get it necessarily right. For every Van Nistelrooy, there's a Juan Veron, for every Drogba, there's a Shevchenko. The difference is with their money, if they get someone who's no good, they can just go out and find someone else.

And consider the Far East contingent at United, who seemed to play once every 5 weeks, and were most likely brought in to sell shirts abroad; can't imagine they were personally sought out by his Lordship

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
There are 25 other teams in the top 4 divisions that have scored equal or less goals than us so far this season. Obviously the PL is slightly skewed in that they have played less games, but you set the parameters.

You're not very good at this, are you?

Just going by what I see, , haven't got stats in front of me.How many times have we scored 3or more this season?...or the last 3seasons come to that.....you would make a fortune backing our games 2.5 and under.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Just going by what I see, , haven't got stats in front of me.

There's a simple solution to that - stop making such stupid claims until you have.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I see Jesse Lindgard was holding his Albion shirt up for Snappy at The Amex last night.

Oh how I hope David Burke was reading this thread last night and this morning, laughing his Bollox off after he signed Jesse while certain NSC'ers were criticising him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports