Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Largely Forgotten TV Personalities of the 60s, 70s and 80s

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Those who worked with him on his short lived stint on LWT’s On Television series (following Clive James) don’t have much good to say about him. He was a bitter, snarling drunk who alienated the crew and sometimes the studio audience,

That's how he seemed to me. A couple of inches short of a proper cock, but....

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Francis Matthews always seemed to be on TV when I was a kid. He was usually playing Paul Temple....

View attachment 122647

Better know and world famous for his leading role in the BB English Language Learning Series 'Follow Me'. When my first wife came to England we stayed up saturday night for BBC2 horror movie and I was in the kitchen when she suddenly screamed 'OH my god! Francis Matthews!' he was the fly eating one in Dracula!!!

She'd learnt English from Jonathan Harker!

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Better know and world famous for his leading role in the BB English Language Learning Series 'Follow Me'. When my first wife came to England we stayed up saturday night for BBC2 horror movie and I was in the kitchen when she suddenly screamed 'OH my god! Francis Matthews!' he was the fly eating one in Dracula!!!

She'd learnt English from Jonathan Harker!

Blimey, I wasn't sure what you were referring to so I googled it and came up with this clip and the memory came flooding back. I'd totally forgotten about that.

It was the English as a foreign language education programme equivalent of that other adult education programme called "On the Move" with Bob Hoskins which dealt with adult literacy.....

https://youtu.be/ue-Z_VAidGg

https://youtu.be/ufVe521quok

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Blimey, I wasn't sure what you were referring to so I googled it and came up with this clip and the memory came flooding back. I'd totally forgotten about that.

It was the English as a foreign language education programme equivalent of that other adult education programme called "On the Move" with Bob Hoskins which dealt with adult literacy.....

https://youtu.be/ue-Z_VAidGg

https://youtu.be/ufVe521quok

I remember On the Move, but I have no idea why I would have watched it. Maybe I just watched everything on television back in the day. :shrug:

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I remember On the Move, but I have no idea why I would have watched it. Maybe I just watched everything on television back in the day. :shrug:

Lack of choice was probably one reason. It used to be shown on Sundays on BBC1 at 6.05pm just after the news. It can't have been because we were waiting for the programme which followed it because it preceded all the BBC1 Sunday evening religious fayre. Immediately after was Anno Domini at 6.15pm followed by Songs of Praise at 6.55pm. It doesn't say much for what was available on the other channels. I remember vividly that the TV programmes got really gloomy on Sundays for a couple of hours around that time. It wasn't that much better earlier in the day. It perked up a bit at 8.15pm with The Liver Birds

Here is the historical BBC1 TV scheduling for one of those Sundays in 1976. God, it was dire...

https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedules/bbcone/london/1976-11-07

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann

Got to say, Bob Hoskins is one of the largely remembered TV personalities of the 60s, 70s and 80s.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Got to say, Bob Hoskins is one of the largely remembered TV personalities of the 60s, 70s and 80s.

My reference to Bob Hoskins wasn't as an inclusion to the topic of this thread. It was merely an aside to my response to another poster's reference to the TV programme "Follow Me" which in itself was a response to my offering of Francis Matthews as a qualifying candidate for this thread. I was merely comparing "Follow Me" to "On the Move" in which Hoskins happened to have a leading role before he achieved stardom.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Another vote for Jill Gascoine, sad to hear she's got Alzheimers. She's married to Alfred Molina.

Also starred in Cats eyes with Leslie Ash was it?

unnamed (2).jpg

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
Did these 3 ever resolve their differences ?

stars-on-sunday-tv-series-25fa669a-8c2f-4efe-b5ec-fc7a9c1b43b-resize-750.jpeg Paula-Yates-Hughie-Green-509786.jpg

Attachments

• stars-on-sunday-tv-programme-1969-1979-shutterstock-editorial-1029167bi.jpg
    stars-on-sunday-tv-programme-1969-1979-shutterstock-editorial-1029167bi.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 134

Lack of choice was probably one reason. It used to be shown on Sundays on BBC1 at 6.05pm just after the news. It can't have been because we were waiting for the programme which followed it because it preceded all the BBC1 Sunday evening religious fayre. Immediately after was Anno Domini at 6.15pm followed by Songs of Praise at 6.55pm. It doesn't say much for what was available on the other channels. I remember vividly that the TV programmes got really gloomy on Sundays for a couple of hours around that time. It wasn't that much better earlier in the day. It perked up a bit at 8.15pm with The Liver Birds

Here is the historical BBC1 TV scheduling for one of those Sundays in 1976. God, it was dire...

https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedules/bbcone/london/1976-11-07

.....Kids today don't know their born etc. :) If you endured it until 22:50 you would have least seen some Led. Zep.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
What a brilliant thread to find on my day off!
Ok tv buffs, for years I’ve been searching g for a TV program from the 60’s I think, which had two thieves who stole a lot of safe deposit boxes. Each episode was about one now which they opened and the contents lead into a story.
Any ideas what it was called/cast ?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
What a brilliant thread to find on my day off!
Ok tv buffs, for years I’ve been searching g for a TV program from the 60’s I think, which had two thieves who stole a lot of safe deposit boxes. Each episode was about one now which they opened and the contents lead into a story.
Any ideas what it was called/cast ?

Turtle's Progress?

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Sam Kydd. His face always seemed to be on the TV in the 60s. I knew him from his starring role in the TV series "Orlando".

View attachment 122593

The TV series was "Crane" starring Patrick Allen with Sam Kydd as his sidekick Orlando and another famous face from the 60's Gerald Flood. Patrick Allen will be remembered probably by a lot of people on here as the face and voice of the Barratt Homes ads, I'm old enough to remember him as Crane. :down:

This was their famous helicopter ad from the 70's, just look at the house prices and mortgage repayments quoted, all relative to the time of course but even so :eek:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here