Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Largely Forgotten TV Personalities of the 60s, 70s and 80s

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
The TV series was "Crane" starring Patrick Allen with Sam Kydd as his sidekick Orlando .........

I don't remember Sam Kydd from "Crane". My memory of him is from his own spin off series which was actually called "Orlando" which was released when Crane finished and which I believe was aimed at a younger audience.

"Crane" ran from 1963 - 65
"Orlando" ran from 1965 - 68

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
I don't remember Sam Kydd from "Crane". My memory of him is from his own spin off series which was actually called "Orlando" which was released when Crane finished and which I believe was aimed at a younger audience.

"Crane" ran from 1963 - 65
"Orlando" ran from 1965 - 68

I was the ripe old age of 10 when Crane started and still don't remember Sam Kydds spin off series, must have been too old at 12 to have appreciated it.
:lolol:

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
My reference to Bob Hoskins wasn't as an inclusion to the topic of this thread. It was merely an aside to my response to another poster's reference to the TV programme "Follow Me" which in itself was a response to my offering of Francis Matthews as a qualifying candidate for this thread. I was merely comparing "Follow Me" to "On the Move" in which Hoskins happened to have a leading role before he achieved stardom.

I know it wasn't. I was merely commenting on his meteoric rise to fame from such humble origins. Donald Gee on the other hand...

gee2.jpg

...he fits the thread perfectly.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Sam Kydd. His face always seemed to be on the TV in the 60s. I knew him from his starring role in the TV series "Orlando".

View attachment 122593

I read his autobiography in the 1970's, he spent most of the war as a POW having been captured en route to Dunkirk as part of the BEF (if my memory serves me well?)

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I read his autobiography in the 1970's, he spent most of the war as a POW having been captured en route to Dunkirk as part of the BEF (if my memory serves me well?)

Wikipedia does indeed confirm that. His first film was in 1946 when he returned from the war, "The Captive Heart", in which he played.... a POW.

From Wiki...

Early in the Second World War, he went to France with the British Expeditionary Force but was quickly captured, spending the rest of the war in Stalag XX-A, a camp near Thorn in German-occupied western Poland. Kydd later wrote of his experiences as a POW in his autobiographical book For You the War Is Over.
During his internment in the German prisoner-of-war camp, where he remained for the next five years, he took command of the camp's theatrical activities - devising and staging plays. He felt so strongly about his work there that, when he was offered repatriation after three years, he turned it down to continue with his theatrical work. In recognition of his valuable services during these years he was awarded a pair of drama masks, made by the Red Cross from barbed wire.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I was watching an old episode of "Tales of the Unexpected" and this guy was in it... John Alderton who was a regular fixture in "Please Sir" in the late 60s and early 70s. He's still married to Pauline Collins who he was married to at the time..

please_sir_hedges.jpg

"Please Sir" also featured this lot who later had their own spin off series "The Fenn Street Gang. Brighton resident Peter Cleall had a prominent role in both series....

David-Barry-1000845.jpg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Rememember him? He wrote Gumphlumph.

SJ.jpg

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Who the f**k is Poppy?

&

Where the f**k is Hamble?

Sorry it appears I inadvertently copied a Playschool pic from the 80s. I"d forgotten all about Hamble until you mentioned her. I did some research into the disappearance of Hamble and I'm afraid I uncovered a rather sinister tale of abuse and neglect which could be referred to as the Hamble Scandal and which has totally shattered my innocent memories of Playschool. This is what I uncovered from Wiki...

"Hamble was a little doll and one of the original five toys but dropped from the show during the 1980s to be replaced by Poppy. According to Joy Whitby, creator of Play School, Hamble was chosen as representative of a more "downtrodden", humble background than the "middle-class" associations that the teddy bears had. She was disliked by presenters as she could not be cuddled. According to the BBC website Chloe Ashcroft "did a terrible thing to Hamble. She just would not sit up...so one day I got a very big knitting needle, a big wooden one, and I stuck it right up her bum, as far as her head. So she was completely rigid, and she was much much better after that." (This was mentioned in a BBC Radio 4 programme called Trumpton Riots, available on YouTube). In the edition called Through The Arched Window (in which the Radio Times said that Chloe Ashcroft would be interviewed and wasn't) the knitting needle incident was mentioned; however, the person admitting to it was Julie Stevens.
Poppy, a black doll who replaced Hamble in November 1986, in response to changing attitudes in society (the Hamble doll was also getting rather fragile at this point)".

cddc9cfbdc4cd544c35375dd226130b9.jpg

Here's Hamble regaining her rightful place. I'm not sure if a knitting needle was used in the taking of that pic..
081941eb106f96cad1249d451c838023.jpg

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
His name is Ron Grainer. He died in 1981 in Cuckfield, which might explain his lack of urgency in collecting his cheques.

The most famous theme music he wrote is the iconic Dr Who theme tune. He also did the theme tunes for "Steptoe and Son" and "Tales of the Unexpected" amongst many others.

Edit: Just realised its the son of Ron Grainer to whom you referred. I'm afraid I can't help you with that one other than his son is called Damian, but you probably already know that.

Although I think this might be him. Same name and was a local lad. Mentions Brighton and Sussex in his linkedin profile. I think he lives in Warrington now:
https://uk.linkedin.com/in/damian-grainer-214a1050

You can also contact him via Facebook

https://m.facebook.com/loveflourishandsucceed/?locale2=en_GB

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Grainer

I still have my original childhood 45's of The Theme from Dr Who and The Theme from Steptoe and Son. Always had eclectic taste in music!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here