Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Largely Forgotten TV Personalities of the 60s, 70s and 80s

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I still have my original childhood 45's of The Theme from Dr Who and The Theme from Steptoe and Son. Always had eclectic taste in music!

That Dr Who theme is immense, latterly covered really well by Orbital.

The arrangement was done by Delia Derbyshire who worked at the BBC Radiophonic Workshop. When Grainer heard her arrangement he was so impressed he tried to get her a co-composer credit but the BBC bureaucracy prevented it.

She was eventually credited on-screen 50 years later for the Doctor Who 50th anniversary special, "The Day of the Doctor".

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The arrangement was done by Delia Derbyshire who worked at the BBC Radiophonic Workshop. When Grainer heard her arrangement he was so impressed he tried to get her a co-composer credit but the BBC bureaucracy prevented it.

She was eventually credited on-screen 50 years later for the Doctor Who 50th anniversary special, "The Day of the Doctor".

And here's the theme tune arranged by Ron Grainer himself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1SZs4xudf8

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Norman “swinging and dodgy” Vaughan

5490CFB2-2757-40DD-8B97-8136CD14FA90.jpeg

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I remember On the Move, but I have no idea why I would have watched it. Maybe I just watched everything on television back in the day. :shrug:

Claim to fame.

The guy who wasn’t Bob Hoskins in On the Move is my Uncle Donald.

He also played Mavis’s love interest in Coronation St. And was in Dr Who.

Now lives in a **** off house in Putney. Last saw him about 5 years ago during a family inheritance dispute when he travelled down to see my mum. Total knob.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Claim to fame.

The guy who wasn’t Bob Hoskins in On the Move is my Uncle Donald.

He also played Mavis’s love interest in Coronation St. And was in Dr Who.

Now lives in a **** off house in Putney. Last saw him about 5 years ago during a family inheritance dispute when he travelled down to see my mum. Total knob.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's a very uncharitable thing to say about your mum.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Anyone else remember a program from the Sixties called "Away To Adventure"? I can't remember anything about it except that the theme tune was "A Walk in the Black Forest". And a strange feeling that the titles included a shot of a bridge.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
For those of you of a certain age I have found this little gem, (Professor) Stanley Unwin interviewing Peter Hawkins who was the original voice of The Flowerpot men!

Stanley Unwin explaining politics in 1983

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Idi Amin.

No. Wrong age, wrong nationality, wrong colour, wrong profession, wrong physique ... but you got the sex right.

Without going to Professor Google I remember that a Terry Hall was the man behind (as it were) Lenny and I'm going to guess that he was the dad of the Terry Hall who was in The Specials?

Good thinking but no... you're in the right sort of ball park though

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here