Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Kids being sent home from school

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
But when someone is repeatedly unable to comprehend a simple unambiguous sentence, and their responses to detailed posts often are no more than **** off and bollocks, it’s justified. How else would you describe them?

I don't think it is for me to comment on that - maybe BG is frustrated at folk who are determined to view everything in political terms. But then given that you cannot spell "saviour", perhaps you should not be insulting others' responses.

biddles911

May 12, 2014
Litigation and the helicopter/snowplow parents have caused a sad state of affairs. I feel very sorry for the kids of today, they are so wrapped in cotton wool they miss out on much.

Not sure that I see the opportunity to catch flu or the myriad other bugs that kids carry is much of a loss but I take the general point that elf & safety pressures have made schools much more risk averse than previously.

Personally, I blame a lot of parents who are far too quick to blame the schools for every tiny “issue” that their little treasures might encounter.

A bit less mollycoddling and a bit more discipline at school and home would do wonders, I think!

Puts me firmly in the older generation I guess but I think it’s instructive that “failing” schools invariably start their turnaround by improving discipline.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Not sure that I see the opportunity to catch flu or the myriad other bugs that kids carry is much of a loss but I take the general point that elf & safety pressures have made schools much more risk averse than previously.

Personally, I blame a lot of parents who are far too quick to blame the schools for every tiny “issue” that their little treasures might encounter.

A bit less mollycoddling and a bit more discipline at school and home would do wonders, I think!

Puts me firmly in the older generation I guess but I think it’s instructive that “failing” schools invariably start their turnaround by improving discipline.......

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/1969-vs-today.jpg

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don't think it is for me to comment on that - maybe BG is frustrated at folk who are determined to view everything in political terms. But then given that you cannot spell "saviour", perhaps you should not be insulting others' responses.

Thank you for pointing out the misspelling. As previously mentioned I see self-improvement as a vital life-skill and a key component is peer assessment. I’ll therefore take corrective action regarding my spelling. And should I ever act a moron please also inform me so.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

Yes, I know exactly how you feel, and after 35 years of teaching could not agree more. The problem, however, is that those children who need more discipline are precisely those who do not have it at home, and whose parents are precisely those who would resist any attempt by schools to improve matters, preferring to blame the school. Another parental favourite is to claim that their kids are fine at home -by their standards, the kids probably are and when you hear that, you know you are on a losing streak! There is an old saying amongst staff involved in pastoral care in schools - 90% of your time is spent on 10% of the children.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Thank you for pointing out the misspelling. As previously mentioned I see self-improvement as a vital life-skill and a key component is peer assessment. I’ll therefore take corrective action regarding my spelling. And should I ever act a moron please also inform me so.

I fully endorse the principle of peer assessment and am delighted to have been of service, and will continue to monitor your posts and suggest improvements accordingly. You have to play your part, though, and act on all well-intentioned advice.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
But when someone is repeatedly unable to comprehend a simple unambiguous sentence, and their responses to detailed posts often are no more than **** off and bollocks, it’s justified. How else would you describe them?

@Herr Tubthumper the ultimate chocolate poster, if you choose to jibe at other posters intellect or grammar and then post a spelling mistake within the very same post then you deserve nothing less than ridicule.

A prime example of, as I understand it someone who is a paid up member of the Labour party, who in their right mind would pay for the privilege to align themselves with any political party, what's that all about.

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
I think that the education system in general has forgotten completely that it's the parents responsibility to bring up their child and the schools are there to teach them. Instead they seem to want to micro manage every aspect of their lives from their hair styles, what they wear to and from school, when the parents can decide to take them out of school, so on and so forth.

A lot of this is pushed down from Government I believe but it seems to me that it's so far removed now from teaching your children the skills they need to get a job hopefully in something they enjoy and will do well at, to just arse covering and making sure the school looks good to offsted whatever the cost. Thankfully I only have another two years and we are done with the school system.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I think that the education system in general has forgotten completely that it's the parents responsibility to bring up their child and the schools are there to teach them. Instead they seem to want to micro manage every aspect of their lives from their hair styles, what they wear to and from school, when the parents can decide to take them out of school, so on and so forth.

A lot of this is pushed down from Government I believe but it seems to me that it's so far removed now from teaching your children the skills they need to get a job hopefully in something they enjoy and will do well at, to just arse covering and making sure the school looks good to offsted whatever the cost. Thankfully I only have another two years and we are done with the school system.

Your first para - I can see what you are getting at, but in all reality it is a minority of parents who have forgotten that it is their responsibility, not the education system. I can assure you that teachers would love to simply be able to teach, and not feel that they have to be a parental substitute. The rules that you describe are not new and have been an issue for donkey's years -I can recall having to wear a cap to school in the 19600s and hated it.
Whilst it is fair to say that schools do still teach skills that children need, I do agree with much of your second para -one of the reasons I was so glad to retire was the increasing levels of bureaucracy shoved down from on high. Latterly in my career, I lost count of the initiatives that were heralded as the saviour of all our souls, only to be quietly forgotten, after the person who dreamt it up had listed being the instigator of said initiative on his/her CV to get a possibly undeserved promotion. Ofsted come calling, armed with their latest fads, and can you really blame staff for wanting to look good, as an Ofsted verdict, amidst much publicity, can do so much damage. It is utterly soul-destroying for staff working in say rougher areas, with little parental support, to have some trendy Ofsted inspector breeze in and out, and tell them they need improvement, but of course not how it can be done.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The long and the short of it is that either your kid has an illness or he’s dived and conned the ref into believing he has one, which is why he’s been sent home. So either you lack sympathy for your ill child or you’ve brought your child up to be a liar. Either way, it reflects worse on you than the school 😉

Kids are well known for having a high temperature, and throwing up, yet a few hours later, bounce back quickly.

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
Majority of schools do not have nurses and do not have the luxury of medical expertise available so need to make a snap decision, and when they do perhaps ring the parents for advice they are invariably unable to contact anyone because parents have not updated juniors record of contact.
Parents will also send their children to school when ill and say "see how you get on and if you don't feel any better come home " they need to realise they are the parents not society .

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Majority of schools do not have nurses and do not have the luxury of medical expertise available so need to make a snap decision, and when they do perhaps ring the parents for advice they are invariably unable to contact anyone because parents have not updated juniors record of contact.
Parents will also send their children to school when ill and say "see how you get on and if you don't feel any better come home " they need to realise they are the parents not society .

Much truth is want you say, sadly.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
@Herr Tubthumper the ultimate chocolate poster, if you choose to jibe at other posters intellect or grammar and then post a spelling mistake within the very same post then you deserve nothing less than ridicule.

A prime example of, as I understand it someone who is a paid up member of the Labour party, who in their right mind would pay for the privilege to align themselves with any political party, what's that all about.

And this is a prime example of the gibberish you type. Spelling is one thing, a total lack of grammar, punctuation and, sense, is something else. Take a deep breath a re-read what you have written. What on earth links those two sentences?

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
@Herr Tubthumper, the ultimate chocolate poster. If you choose to jibe at other poster’s intellect or grammar, and then post a spelling mistake within the very same post, you deserve nothing less than ridicule.

A prime example of, as I understand it, someone who is a paid up member of the Labour party. Who in their right mind would pay for the privilege to align themselves with any political party? What's that all about?

There you go. That’s 8 corrections I made.

PS I am not a member of any political party.

Last edited:

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
I think we need a poll.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Just wait until you see the price you will PAY for aligning yourself with UKIP.

As an aside, it did make me chuckle, you critisising anyone else's spelling or intelligence, you being widely accepted as one of the thickest people on this board. It amused me that you used the phrase "as I understand it". The thought of you understanding anything in any capacity is an interesting one. Anyway, no offence intended, we'll have no offended snowflakes here.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country

And on the flip side I think parents sometimes forget it’s their responsibility to raise their children and not the schools.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Just wait until you see the price you will PAY for aligning yourself with UKIP.

As an aside, it did make me chuckle, you critisising anyone else's spelling or intelligence, you being widely accepted as one of the thickest people on this board. It amused me that you used the phrase "as I understand it". The thought of you understanding anything in any capacity is an interesting one. Anyway, no offence intended, we'll have no offended snowflakes here.

Here he is the 'adapt and flourish man', this boards self proclaimed Nostradamus, give us an prediction just for a laugh, go on.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Here he is the 'adapt and flourish man', this boards self proclaimed Nostradamus, give us an prediction just for a laugh, go on.

Here he is, the 'adapt and flourish man'. This board’s self-proclaimed Nostradamus. Give us a prediction, just for a laugh, go on.

:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here