Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Kids being sent home from school

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
If you were a school governor you would know why a lot of that is bollocks.

You would also know how the attitude of parents has changed over the years and why teachers are not respected as they were

You would also know that governmental dogmatic interference in schools and the slashing of budgets and pupil financing has led to low morale and loss of experienced teachers.

You would also know that due to budget cuts, heads are obliged to set on NQTs as they cant afford experienced teachers.

That I was school governor is not in doubt

That the link governor advised the school to pay off a teacher who returning from the maximum paid leave, due to stress, immediately said she was bullied and received a payout just short of £30k is also not in doubt. Thats £30k when the expenditure per child was aroud £5k per annum, don't talk about budgets and cuts when the system capitulates to the unions time and time again.

The same link governor also failed to sign off statemented children due to the number being over the allocation for the school, out of the hands of governors and teachers, back in the hands of politicians. This happend durng the Blair years!!

The continual interference by government in day to day affairs is without doubt over bearing and enlists the governors to take all the accountability and responsibility for success or failure, without pay or resource.

I'm happy that you concurred with some of my points and not all, its subjective and I would agree that parenting skills are not what they were, it was pretty clear in school who would perform better and who would not, we were rarely wrong despite the money spent on those who lagged behind. Exposed to alsorts at home, late for school, unwashed, swearing in class, disruptive, short attention spans and generally dragging the class down.

Teaching is challenging and so is parenting, i would sugest that both are not what they were.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Blimey, for someone who claims to have been a school governor you have remarkably little knowledge of what goes on in schools.

No school trips? My son went on four trips last term alone (and we said to no to several more). My daughter's had fewer but one of them was a week in Iceland,

I had seven years in senior school and in that time I went to Cuckmere valley, the Science Museum and the New Forest. No trips? it seems the kids do nothing but trips.

And as for no games, we have to constantly keep abreast of what kit our son needs as he does so many activities every week. My daughter just plays football twice a week.

Nor in four terms at school has the school closed because of the weather, nor because the boiler had broken down. My daughter's had longer in the system but I can't recall her being sent home for these reasons either.

I'm not a teacher and nor is my wife but I do have kids and see what schools are really like without having to spout Daily Mail cliches.

Your doubting of my being a school governor is not relevant here, I have forwarded my experience and what i saw, its a contribution.

Four trips in one term, is that the norm or would you consider it exceptional. Your children appear to have done well from their schooling and the school of your choice? Lets hope it continues, i don't understand your need to quote the Daily Mail, are you a reader?

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
Jeez can you imagine the implications if the welfare officer didn't send little Johny or Jemima home after they complained of not feeling well ,the said parents would be all over the school and the ble*din internet not to mention the school authorities and of course fkin mumsnet ...schools and staff are dammed if they do and dammed if they don't .
We live in a blame everyone society ,doesn't take a lot of brains to work out the reasoning .

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Jeez can you imagine the implications if the welfare officer didn't send little Johny or Jemima home after they complained of not feeling well ,the said parents would be all over the school and the ble*din internet not to mention the school authorities and of course fkin mumsnet ...schools and staff are dammed if they do and dammed if they don't .
We live in a blame everyone society ,doesn't take a lot of brains to work out the reasoning .
Saldly this

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
[/B]

When you want to, you can actually be quite sensible. Just not sure how calling someone a moron squares with this.

But when someone is repeatedly unable to comprehend a simple unambiguous sentence, and their responses to detailed posts often are no more than **** off and bollocks, it’s justified. How else would you describe them?

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
The long and the short of it is that either your kid has an illness or he’s dived and conned the ref into believing he has one, which is why he’s been sent home. So either you lack sympathy for your ill child or you’ve brought your child up to be a liar. Either way, it reflects worse on you than the school 😉

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
My son was sent home from school "ill" today despite the fact that, as far as I'm concerned, there's nothing wrong with him other than possibly being a bit tired and jaded after some late nights over the Christmas holiday.

This isn't the first time this has happened. Schools bang on about attendance and the importance of being in school, something we completely agree with, and yet they send him home at the slightest indication he could be less than 100%.

We've never taken him out of school for holidays, and don't believe we ever will (I'm not judging if you do - everyone makes their own choices), so it grates somewhat the school have this seemingly relaxed approach to sending kids home. Perhaps parents should be able to fine schools for non-approved sending home.

I appreciate this is all a bit Mumsnet but it's wound me up a bit.

Interesting you should post this yesterday as I received a letter from my daughters school yesterday reminding parents the importance of 100 % attendance etc etc and then going on to imply that perhaps as parents we might be giving into our little darlings too much when they complain of a cough and we are tempted to keep em off, they suggested the school has plenty of qualified staff able to assess condition and assess the child etc

I should say this is a high school so perhaps a little different to the age group you are probably taking about.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
But when someone is repeatedly unable to comprehend a simple unambiguous sentence, and their responses to detailed posts often are no more than **** off and bollocks, it’s justified. How else would you describe them?

You really need to get over this. Vegster said “This is just a run through of the future of education, due to cuts many schools are looking at 4 day weeks..”. Another poster said that’s bollocks, 4 day weeks in schools won’t happen. That’s just normally debate, why get so personal about it?

Renegade

Nov 24, 2017

You pretty much seem to argue with everyone on here.Maybe you need to put your arrogance to one side.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
The school office do through the school’s management information system (data from computerised register taken am and pm basically). Teachers have nothing to do with it (apart from taking the register of course).

As with the NHS, our education system is now in the hands of bean-counters and litigation policy makers. Forget about the kids so long as the stats add up. Maybe if "the office" was funded by another gov department there would be more money for actual teaching/kids etc, something that ''the office'' clearly has fu** all to do with. I feel so sorry for teachers.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You pretty much seem to argue with everyone on here.Maybe you need to put your arrogance to one side.

Nonsense. It’s a chat room, I chat with people.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
My son was sent home from school "ill" today despite the fact that, as far as I'm concerned, there's nothing wrong with him other than possibly being a bit tired and jaded after some late nights over the Christmas holiday.

This isn't the first time this has happened. Schools bang on about attendance and the importance of being in school, something we completely agree with, and yet they send him home at the slightest indication he could be less than 100%.

We've never taken him out of school for holidays, and don't believe we ever will (I'm not judging if you do - everyone makes their own choices), so it grates somewhat the school have this seemingly relaxed approach to sending kids home. Perhaps parents should be able to fine schools for non-approved sending home.

I appreciate this is all a bit Mumsnet but it's wound me up a bit.

Just to play devil's advocate.... AN Other parent may choose to sue the school for failing in their duty of care to protect their little precious by allowing Bozza Jnr to spread his germs around.
Schools are now required to "play safe" on everything to ensure that their insurance premiums are kept to a minimum. There must be a "Sickness Policy" and they must be seen to be following it. That means they won't play nurse-maid to the sick kids because of the "threat" to the well ones.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It's not that crazy, cuts cause problems

How the blazes do you get from sending one child home to a four day week? So how is that going to work? How does sending one child home save them money?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
If we were ill at school it was straight to the sanitorium with you and if you were due an exeat or trip home tough, if you're too ill for classes and games, you're too ill for trips out. Needless to say not many pulled the wag much.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Just to play devil's advocate.... AN Other parent may choose to sue the school for failing in their duty of care to protect their little precious by allowing Bozza Jnr to spread his germs around.
Schools are now required to "play safe" on everything to ensure that their insurance premiums are kept to a minimum. There must be a "Sickness Policy" and they must be seen to be following it. That means they won't play nurse-maid to the sick kids because of the "threat" to the well ones.

Litigation and the helicopter/snowplow parents have caused a sad state of affairs. I feel very sorry for the kids of today, they are so wrapped in cotton wool they miss out on much.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
@Clamp
I'm not saying that, I'm saying it's not crazy to think in the future schools only open 4 days a week due to cuts, people seem to think everything will just carry on as normal whilst people on the frontline are constantly getting shafted

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I'm not saying that, I'm saying it's not crazy to think in the future schools only open 4 days a week due to cuts, people seem to think everything will just carry on as normal whilst people on the frontline are constantly getting shafted

I thought you were due back at work today ...for your one day a week? :D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here