Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Kids being sent home from school

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
She is facing these pressures every day and I hold most teachers in high esteem, I have stopped trying to explain just how hard the job is to those that have no family or loved ones that are employed within it, however I was commenting on the 4 day week scenario, as for NQT's my wife assures me that she will employ those that seem in interview more suitable for the role, she hasnt been forced to do anything different.

My wifes school is in a normal sometimes called deprived area so it has its challenges (not to the point of receiving extra income), but I have spent most of this holiday with teachers, senior teaching staff etc. and along with the usual gripes, moans and gallows humour not once has a 4 day week been mentioned not even in jest, luckily there is no political activists stirring up rubbish at this school, cuts and staffing levels have caused real challenges in the work place, ten teachers and support off today by all accounts but I must also mention that along with the amazing teachers and support staff there are some real shirkers, those untouchables that make an already difficult situation even worse.

So yes there is a debate to be had, I think my wife is worth more and deserves greater respect, but apart from a rogue school there shouldn't be four day weeks anytime soon.

Oh and I am not any of those things, thankfully.

That's interesting. ....Suddenly your diction, grammar and spelling has improved in the longest post you have managed in this thread ? suddenly constructive sentences ? earlier It seemed I was dealing with someone not dissimilar to Al Murray's pub landlord, but, without the wit or humour. I'm assuming the good Mrs has just got in from school within the last 30 minutes ?

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Teaching used to be a vocation, now its a job.

In other words "It used to be done mostly by women, who had few other options, and were used to second-class treatment."
Like nursing.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
That's interesting. ....Suddenly your diction, grammar and spelling has improved in the longest post you have managed in this thread ? suddenly constructive sentences ? earlier It seemed I was dealing with someone not dissimilar to Al Murray's pub landlord, but, without the wit or humour. I'm assuming the good Mrs has just got in from school within the last 30 minutes ?

Oooooh patronising, well done.

More importantly though, it seems you were talking crap.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Thank goodness I went to school in the 50s and 60s. I had glandular fever and missed a term and a half, in one year.

D

Deleted member 2719

There has to be a cut-off point and I am sure it goes by the attendance on the morning register. Though I accept that this must be galling for you, absence is absence, for whatever reason. If schools make an exception for you, then that would open the floodgates for all sorts of reasons. 99.6% is afterall what your child's attendance was.
Doesn't every child and Adult want to achieve 100%.
So he said to me "dad i might aswell not bothered going in at all that day".
He has a point but that's not a great way how to inspire or motivate someone.
It seems if your parents are on the PTA or a governor, that everything is bent to a fashion to suit.

Teachers don’t determine the attendance percentage.

So who does determine the attendance records?

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country

The school office do through the school’s management information system (data from computerised register taken am and pm basically). Teachers have nothing to do with it (apart from taking the register of course).

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Oooooh patronising, well done.

More importantly though, it seems you were talking crap.
Ah, normal service resumed. Good night Al.

D

Deleted member 2719

The school office do through the school’s management information system (data from computerised register taken am and pm basically). Teachers have nothing to do with it (apart from taking the register of course).

Fair enough, they need an option that can where a child comes in PM they can assess whether it was a genuine reason and if so change it.
Paper registers are the way forward!

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
If you were a school governor you would know why a lot of that is bollocks.

You would also know how the attitude of parents has changed over the years and why teachers are not respected as they were

You would also know that governmental dogmatic interference in schools and the slashing of budgets and pupil financing has led to low morale and loss of experienced teachers.

You would also know that due to budget cuts, heads are obliged to set on NQTs as they cant afford experienced teachers.

I think we all know why teachers are not respected. Let's just pause for a moment and wonder how 'would of' and 'haitch' escaped from schools uncorrected.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
school policy I am afraid.

schools are so paranoid as parents are now becoming litigious that any little scrape or bump has to have a signed accident sheet, a interview and a medical form sent home with the child to say they have been looked at and assessed.

can you imagine how many times little kids fall over and bump their heads, arms etc....every one has to be logged and assessed....in fact a brilliant one is every child has to be in eyeline of a supervisor /teacher when out in the playground, so some schools have had to rope off trees and sheds and supervisors have to stand at a spot where they can see every part of the playground.....

nanny state doesn't even cover the bollocks we have to do

But most of the time we don't actually 'have to'. The law does not say that a supervisor HAS to stand in that spot, the person responsible for H&S implementation is covering their arse by advising this. They are not God and do not have the rule of law to back them up. The person at the top of the organisation should have the balls to implement H&S policy in a sensible manner and then defend that policy rigorously in court if needed. It is the only way to change this ridiculous culture

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
She did and told him he's talking bollocks

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
teachers don't take games
no school trips, its about insurance

Blimey, for someone who claims to have been a school governor you have remarkably little knowledge of what goes on in schools.

No school trips? My son went on four trips last term alone (and we said to no to several more). My daughter's had fewer but one of them was a week in Iceland,

I had seven years in senior school and in that time I went to Cuckmere valley, the Science Museum and the New Forest. No trips? it seems the kids do nothing but trips.

And as for no games, we have to constantly keep abreast of what kit our son needs as he does so many activities every week. My daughter just plays football twice a week.

Nor in four terms at school has the school closed because of the weather, nor because the boiler had broken down. My daughter's had longer in the system but I can't recall her being sent home for these reasons either.

I'm not a teacher and nor is my wife but I do have kids and see what schools are really like without having to spout Daily Mail cliches.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think we all know why teachers are not respected. Let's just pause for a moment and wonder how 'would of' and 'haitch' escaped from schools uncorrected.

And to think I get blasted for picking up people on their grammar. I tell you, I’m the bloody savior of Britain.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Doesn't every child and Adult want to achieve 100%.
So he said to me "dad i might aswell not bothered going in at all that day".
He has a point but that's not a great way how to inspire or motivate someone.
It seems if your parents are on the PTA or a governor, that everything is bent to a fashion to suit.

Of course everyone wants to get 110%, but not by massaging the stats. and if this was his comment, then I doubt that he is as diligent as you are trying to make out. And as for your last assertion, you could not possibly be in a position to make such a judgement. I suspect that you might know of one case, where you think they might have had favourable treatment, and so take that to be the norm. Quite absurd.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Just a case of a pampered liberal society and teachers and headmasters covering their own arses in case it's something more serious.Lets Feb honest things were always going to go this way in a very wet blanket society :)

Renegade

Nov 24, 2017
As a grandmother, and mother, I've never used Mumsnet, so how are you so knowledgeable about it?

Because at times in the past I've gone on there and had it out with the militant bigoted lesbian man haters. Also what I've seen in the news as they seem to get a decent amount of coverage and are courted by politicians for the female vote.Much of what I have seen is anti-men.Also because it's difficult to have a large number of women come together without an anti-male agenda.

I shouldn't really be talking about this subject as I detest feminist man-haters.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here