Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Kevin Spacey.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
This made me chuckle. I imagined Alan Partridge saying it for some reason;

“Spacey had denied the charges – claiming the allegations against him were “madness”, “absolute bollocks” and a “stab in the back”.

😂

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Yep, but can I like him as an actor again now?

The Usual Suspects..
It's an odd one isn't it? I like the music of Michael Jackson, less so his view on... er... other things. I absolutely love The Usual Suspects and Baby Driver (which is superb), but it's easy to feel a little conflicted when recommending them. "It's an amazing film, but Kevin Spacey is in it so... you know"

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Yep. And it's a system that some people think is great when they agree with the verdict, but think is corrupt when they don't agree with the verdict.
I thought he sounded like a "Wrong'un " but, it's been to court and as far as I'm concerned that's that. The jury has heard ALL the evidence, not just The Stun shock/horror headlines, and made a decision based on that. Sadly, mud will stick though.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It's an odd one isn't it? I like the music of Michael Jackson, less so his view on... er... other things. I absolutely love The Usual Suspects and Baby Driver (which is superb), but it's easy to feel a little conflicted when recommending them. "It's an amazing film, but Kevin Spacey is in it so... you know"
Usual Suspects is, and will remain, one of my 3 favourite films.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Probably because he's very good at his job. And there hadn't, until now, been suggestions of impropriety.
A long time ago he was beaten up in a park in Camberwell quite early in the morning while taking his dogs for a walk ??? The implication was he was on the pull and mistook a bush for a cottage, and a cheery cockney 'good morning mate' for an invitation to dance the fandango. Allegedly.

Still there is a difference between being a rich cocky and brazen homosexual, and a coercive abuser of position. Once again, the law has spoken that that's that. And this is British law, too, not that load of old 'richest client wins' bullocks you get in America.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
A long time ago he was beaten up in a park in Camberwell quite early in the morning while taking his dogs for a walk ??? The implication was he was on the pull and mistook a bush for a cottage, and a cheery cockney 'good morning mate' for an invitation to dance the fandango. Allegedly.

Still there is a difference between being a rich cocky and brazen homosexual, and a coercive abuser of position. Once again, the law has spoken that that's that. And this is British law, too, not that load of old 'richest client wins' bullocks you get in America.
Yes, remember the story of the park, was referred to at the time as being an accidental injury sustained when his dog(s) bolted.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
This made me chuckle. I imagined Alan Partridge saying it for some reason;

“Spacey had denied the charges – claiming the allegations against him were “madness”, “absolute bollocks” and a “stab in the back”.

😂
Detective: “We put it to you that you sexually assaulted person X”

Partridge/Spacey: “That… that’s bollocks but carry on…”

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I’d like to say this; Spacey is my favourite actor. Not my favourite person. He is brilliant in a lot of films and plays, and inevitably his star has fallen on the back on these allegations.

I work in theatre, including West End, and have met Spacey several times at functions. I thought his “coming out” was very distasteful off the back of the allegations - as was his video in character as Frank Underwood - if anyone remembers that.

Everyone knew he was gay even remotely related to the business, and I suspect many of the public assumed. Conflating being gay with alleged sexual assault was extremely tasteless, whether he meant it or not.

That said, he was found not guilty - one of the charges was very serious and the others were attached as “proof of character”. If one falls, the whole “house of cards” (sorry) collapses.

It wasn’t a strong case without that one much more serious (in the eyes of the law) accusation.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I’d like to say this; Spacey is my favourite actor. Not my favourite person. He is brilliant in a lot of films and plays, and inevitably his star has fallen on the back on these allegations.

I work in theatre, including West End, and have met Spacey several times at functions. I thought his “coming out” was very distasteful off the back of the allegations - as was his video in character as Frank Underwood - if anyone remembers that.

Everyone knew he was gay even remotely related to the business, and I suspect many of the public assumed. Conflating being gay with alleged sexual assault was extremely tasteless, whether he meant it or not.

That said, he was found not guilty - one of the charges was very serious and the others were attached as “proof of character”. If one falls, the whole “house of cards” (sorry) collapses.

It wasn’t a strong case without that one much more serious (in the eyes of the law) accusation.
I was under the impression he decided to come out before being outed (always best to feel you have some control over the situation). It seemed little more than clunky to me at the time.

But I do recall some people reacting as if he was offering homosexuality as an excuse for assault. That struck me as reflective of the prejudices of the viewer rather than anything to do with Spacey.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here