Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Kevin Spacey.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I was under the impression he decided to come out before being outed (always best to feel you have some control over the situation). It seemed little more than clunky to me at the time.

But I do recall some people reacting as if he was offering homosexuality as an excuse for assault. That struck me as reflective of the prejudices of the viewer rather than anything to do with Spacey.
Harry, the timing was horrendous - he put out a presser within a day of major allegations in the mainstream press about his conduct. Maybe his coming out was planned months in advance, but his “I choose to live my life as a gay man” statement the day after very serious allegations were made against him by a man is very convenient.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Harry, the timing was horrendous - he put out a presser within a day of major allegations in the mainstream press about his conduct. Maybe his coming out was planned months in advance, but his “I choose to live my life as a gay man” statement the day after very serious allegations were made against him by a man is very convenient.

English law has spoken, he’s an innocent man.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Erm, I know, this is exactly my view in previous posts.

But I don’t believe in the micro analysis on when and why celebs reveal they’re gay, the same goes on the “Well that was convenient, Huw Edwards checking into a mental health hospital”.

Millions of armchair cynics, who know Jack Sh1t about the lives of others.

It’s getting silly now, almost a celeb a week. And I don’t even do Twatter, Facebook or the tabloids!

Probably the same cringey people who smelt a rat that wasn’t there to be smelt, descending on Nicola Bulley’s village to solve her murder :wanker:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Misjudged perhaps, since the convenience clearly didn't help his cause.

That said I suspect it was simply a cock up. His agent may have said "this is all a bit mad, the allegations, especially given most of your fans think you're straight; best you get this clarified pronto, sonny".

And thence a car crash interview was born.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
But I don’t believe in the micro analysis on when and why celebs reveal they’re gay, the same goes on the “Well that was convenient, Huw Edwards checking into a mental health hospital”.

Millions of armchair cynics, who know Jack Sh1t about the lives of others.

It’s getting silly now, almost a celeb a week. And I don’t even do Twatter, Facebook or the tabloids!

Probably the same cringey people who smelt a rat that wasn’t there to be smelt, descending on Nicola Bulley’s village to solve her murder :wanker:
That’s fine, I am sorry if I offended you, but reject all connections made to the Huw Edwards situation, who I’ve not gotten involved with. I can assure you everyone in the business knew of Spacey’s sexuality.

His reaction to Anthony Rapp’s allegations was bizarre. He outed himself when he had no choice because of the allegations, but the timing was horrific.

In my view, yes, his intentionally conflated the stories.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Incidentally, I am a huge fan of Spacey’s films/plays (he was incredible in Richard III and Inherit in the Wind in particular) - and to reiterate once again I fully support the jury’s verdict and, as I said in post #81, hope he has a further career as one of the greatest living actors.

None of that changes the fact any of the above.

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
I knew a friend that worked with film crew that worked with Spacey years ago. He was telling me Spacey was a twisted perv then that some of the young staff were scared of, and that was about 20 years ago. He’s well protected. Anyone that’s being honest in the film industry knows full well about Spacey. I hope the truth about him comes out.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
A long time ago he was beaten up in a park in Camberwell quite early in the morning while taking his dogs for a walk ??? The implication was he was on the pull and mistook a bush for a cottage, and a cheery cockney 'good morning mate' for an invitation to dance the fandango. Allegedly.
And rumours abounded when he was at the Old Vic about how you'd better be on your guard if you were a young good-looking usher.

So, two homophobic spins on the way he behaved before he came out. And I agree, and certainly nowadays, if he'd been guilty he would certainly have been found guilty.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here