Silly old bat

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
What folks sometimes forget is that the manager is not hassling the board for more resources purely for his own benefit. He's hassling the board for the benefit of the project as a whole. Anybody who has ever worked on a major project will understand the dynamics in play. In the end, the manager reserves the right to walk away if his pleas fall on deaf ears, often to the detriment of the project as a whole - including the end users ie us lot
Agreed . Its all part of the dynamics. But where is there any evidence that RDZ is "hassling" Bloom or the board for "more resources" with implication that he has to hassle and won't get what he needs or wants ? Or that his pleas are falling on "deaf ears" . Certainly not in that article or any quotes in press conferences over the last few months. All we know is that rather boringly he will have had conversations at the job interview , in January and obviously as part of the prep for the summer window about where the gaps are , will have suggested players to look at and no doubt they discussed what they had planned. Like any head coach.

He had a big grin on his face batting away questions about Pedro this afternoon...
pedro.png

Last edited:

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
'I want you to show you are serious and a) break your transfer record for me and b) sign Joao Pedro from Watford.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Personally I love the guy, and I don't think I am alone in this. Potter had his doubters. Does RDZ have any doubters? I doubt it.
I hope he's going to stay for a long time with us. Perhaps it's a big ask, but I'd like him to stay to create a legacy here like Sir Alex Ferguson did at Man U, or Wenger, or Brian Clough at Forest.
Brian Clough was one of the greatest managers this country has produced. He went to a big club, Leeds, but ended up at Forest who were not a big club and stayed with them for nearly 20 years.

I don't think De Zerbi is primarily motivated by personal ambition the way others seem to be in terms of money/salary. Other managers are all about what's in it for them, as we learned back in September. (Don't get me wrong, I get that it's fair enough to want to further one's career, but really?) De Zerbi seems different: he wants to build a great team. And I think he will appreciate the challenge of turning Brighton into a Champions League level team rather than just joining an established big team that has already done it all. He is ambitious in terms of achieving great things in football, and the decisive factor on how long he stays with us will be whether he sees that Brighton are a club that will step up to match those ambitions. I think if Tony Bloom plays it right, he might be able to secure RDZ's services long-term.

Give your head a wobble, you are talking football here. If we continue to fall away as we have recently and we lose the first 6 matches of next season he's probably toast. Yes, great manager, would love to have him here ( as a mostly successful manager ) for 20 years but it really isn't going to happen.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Can’t see anything in that article that backs up the headline. He’d already said he plans to talk to the club in the summer about how to move forward. The claims of tension over transfer policy would not appear to be backed by De Zerbi’s recent positive comments about the quality of scouting and recruitment.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Give your head a wobble, you are talking football here. If we continue to fall away as we have recently and we lose the first 6 matches of next season he's probably toast. Yes, great manager, would love to have him here ( as a mostly successful manager ) for 20 years but it really isn't going to happen.
We’ve lost a cup game and a tired injury hit squad lost at Forest hardly falling away.

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
I really think Spurs are gonna make a play for De Zerbs in Summer

I don’t see him going there. That team doesn’t suit his style of football, he knows that Levy won’t spend any money on it and that he probably won’t have the same freedom and control he has here. He isn’t daft, he’ll see all this.

golfingseagull

Feb 4, 2023
Sadly I think he'll be gone sooner than we want because some fabulous opportunities will come his way.
IMHO he's a game changer with his tactics, his attitude and his adaptability and one of the big European teams will fancy him
I think he's going to the top of the game and we'll do well to hang on to him for three years

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Would he go if Spurs or Chelsea came in for him in the summer and offered Tony £20 million compo?
Of course he wouldn’t. He would not work for the Todd or Levy.

Would he go to Liverpool, Man Citeh, Manure, Arsenal or Newcastle in the summer? Probably. But my hope is that he returns to Italy once his time with us is done towards the end of this decade.

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here