Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Keeping RDZ at Brighton for as long as possible

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I think he needs to accept that he won’t get everything his own way as he might be a bit hot headed, which will have him at odds with Barber from time to time.
I hope he accepts that this is a club where he can develop himself and the club. He’s made a good start but hasn’t won anything yet.
Yes, we do need to add to our haul of major trophies.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
He’s mentioned many times that football is his, his obsession. He has his preferred style and accepts he needs the right players and environment to execute it

I think he stays for a full season next year. Man City post Pep gives him the players and style, which I think would interest him.

As an aside not much is known about his family, he’s mentioned he has a couple of young kids before. I assume they are still in Italy with his wife? I don’t know how much bearing his family being away from him impacts him in the long term? A year in the Ukraine and a couple in England might be the limit?

Let’s enjoy him whilst he is here, the club will have learned a lot from him (take the positives) and will move forward when the time comes, no?
I saw his son and daughter at Wembley, I believe the son lives in italy. He has an older daughter at uni in London who by all accounts loves it. His interactions with his family remind me of mourinho, he's probably an incredibly hard person to have as a father !!!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A year in the Ukraine and a couple in England might be the limit?
This is my thinking. I can only the imagine the trauma of being away from home and family in amongst all the chaos, horror and turmoil. His family must have worried. I imagine Ukraine was a pretty shit experience as well.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Personally I love the guy, and I don't think I am alone in this. Potter had his doubters. Does RDZ have any doubters? I doubt it.
I hope he's going to stay for a long time with us. Perhaps it's a big ask, but I'd like him to stay to create a legacy here like Sir Alex Ferguson did at Man U, or Wenger, or Brian Clough at Forest.
Brian Clough was one of the greatest managers this country has produced. He went to a big club, Leeds, but ended up at Forest who were not a big club and stayed with them for nearly 20 years.

I don't think De Zerbi is primarily motivated by personal ambition the way others seem to be in terms of money/salary. Other managers are all about what's in it for them, as we learned back in September. (Don't get me wrong, I get that it's fair enough to want to further one's career, but really?) De Zerbi seems different: he wants to build a great team. And I think he will appreciate the challenge of turning Brighton into a Champions League level team rather than just joining an established big team that has already done it all. He is ambitious in terms of achieving great things in football, and the decisive factor on how long he stays with us will be whether he sees that Brighton are a club that will step up to match those ambitions. I think if Tony Bloom plays it right, he might be able to secure RDZ's services long-term.

Brilliant post. A lovely change to the whining and misery on other threads.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Strangely, I read this thread whilst listening to stories about Brian Clough. I hope RDZ stays as long but I doubt we will hear similar stories about him. My 2 favourites so far are:
Steve Hodge substituted in the FA Cup 3rd round 3rd replay against that lot up the road and no-one is brought on to replace him with no explanation from Clough at the time. Forest won 3-0 and the next day Clough calls Harry Hodge over and says "about yesterday, you know how I hate Palace and how dirty they are. We were winning and I just thought that playing with 10 men would take the piss out of them, so it's no reflection on you"
Mark Crossley had played 3 games for the club and done very well. Clough tells him after the 3rd game, "Oi shithouse, meet me at my house tomorrow (Sunday) at 9am. Crossley turns up and Clough announces that his son Simon's team are short of a goalie so says that Crossley is going to play for them. So Crossley turns out for this team playing in the Derbyshire Sunday League division 5 on a pitch covered in dog shit and glass, Archie Gemmill of all people is there as a linesman, the team gets fined £50 for playing a ringer and Clough takes the £50 out of Crossley's wages! A lesson in how to keep a player grounded, which Crossley hated at the time but now realises what good it did him.
Anyway I digress, carry on.
Are you Dean Saunders in disguise?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I prefer threads like this about our decent new manager who’s barely been here 5 mins than the constant bricking it ones on when he’s leaving - fair play 👍
Quite. Sometimes it seems to me that some posters on here are members of a sinister death cult.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Quite. Sometimes it seems to me that some posters on here are members of a sinister death cult.
I remember reading several posts about how we’ll struggle to keep hold of Welbeck after he had a purple patch. It’s constant on here!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Very much this.

When Potter was being linked with Chelsea there were a lot of people on here scoffing at the suggestion he would be interested. We were his project, it was unfinished, he was onto a good thing at the Albion and Chelsea was a basketcase club he'd have no interest in.

I was convinced that if he had an offer from Chelsea, he'd be off like a rat up a drainpipe, and so it came to pass.

I think that when it comes to pretty much everyone employed by a football club, where that club isn't "their club man-and-boy", then the offer from a bigger club will nearly always lead to a departure. They are career people, doing a job and don't have the emotional attachment to clubs in the way fans do. So, when a better job at a better company that pays more money comes along, they will take it. Most of the time, anyway.

I wouldn't be surprised if De Zerbi leaves this summer, but that needs a sufficiently attractive offer to come along, and there's no way of knowing if one will just yet.
Certainly agree with this. Fortunately, the huge jobs don't come around too often. Doesn't seem a serious contender for anyone bigger than us in this country currently but you'd imagine an Italian giant would definitely appeal.

We possibly underestimate just how good an option Albion is when compared to any other club outside the Champions League elite. Excellent stadium, top class facilities, loyal Chairman, relatively patient and grateful fans, clear vision. As we've a track record for bringing in a sprinkling of senior pros, I'm hopeful Bloom can satisfy RDZ's ambitions if he wants a couple of players that fit his very specific style while also keeping the conveyor belt of upcoming talent rolling at full tilt.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
He has an older daughter at uni in London who by all accounts loves it. His interactions with his family remind me of mourinho, he's probably an incredibly hard person to have as a father !!!

Couldn't you hear his daughter now. "Si, si, my papa is very emotional and hard to deal with. Just the other day I told him about Nicholas, my new boyfriend, and he got so emotional and told me he was going to punch Nick if he ever was "offsides" and I got mad at papa and told him I would give him a red card if he couldn't control himself."

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
Tony will not let RDZ down, we will have a very tidy budget over the summer. I am not concerned at all.

Yeah that’s what I think as well. He won’t go mental but I think both Bloom and Barber are sensible enough to see that we have moved up a level, and will need experience and a bit more quality in the squad to compete across competitions properly. I think RDZ will get a decent amount of what he wants.

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015
This is interesting:
The Brescia-born chief has never had a chance to meet Sir Alex Ferguson but if the opportunity should arise, he would have one question for the legendary United boss.
De Zerbi explained: “I would like to understand how he could stay with the same team for so long."

Interesting that that should be the one question he would have for Sir Alex.

He also said something interesting in the Forest pre-match press conference when asked about bringing in new talent:
"We can become bigger year by year"
He didn't say "Brighton", he said "We."
12 minutes into the video

I think a lot will depend on whether Tony plays his cards right, which based on his track record I am optimistic about.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I prefer threads like this about our decent new manager who’s barely been here 5 mins than the constant bricking it ones on when he’s leaving - fair play 👍
This thread is about how important it is to keep de Zerbi and by implication is worrying about what happens if he leaves. Tony and the club are more important than any manager. If he stays we enjoy it. If he leaves we find the next one.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Hmm . stormy waters ahead?
What folks sometimes forget is that the manager is not hassling the board for more resources purely for his own benefit. He's hassling the board for the benefit of the project as a whole. Anybody who has ever worked on a major project will understand the dynamics in play. In the end, the manager reserves the right to walk away if his pleas fall on deaf ears, often to the detriment of the project as a whole - including the end users ie us lot

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
What folks sometimes forget is that the manager is not hassling the board for more resources purely for his own benefit. He's hassling the board for the benefit of the project as a whole. Anybody who has ever worked on a major project will understand the dynamics in play. In the end, the manager reserves the right to walk away if his pleas fall on deaf ears, often to the detriment of the project as a whole
Exactly. Could be stormy waters!

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
What folks sometimes forget is that the manager is not hassling the board for more resources purely for his own benefit. He's hassling the board for the benefit of the project as a whole. Anybody who has ever worked on a major project will understand the dynamics in play. In the end, the manager reserves the right to walk away if his pleas fall on deaf ears, often to the detriment of the project as a whole - including the end users ie us lot

I am just not sure why, at this early stage and when he must have had some knowledge of the deal for Joao Pedro, that he’s publicly hassling them at all just now. They are obviously working on it already? It seems unnecessary.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here