Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Keeping RDZ at Brighton for as long as possible

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
To me it’s pretty obvious that RDZ will depart this time next year, he’ll want to chance his arm at a club that’ll supply him with a squad to win silverware and be an ever present in the CL.

Realising that, I’m just lapping up this greatest ever Albion football from game to game.

We'd best win the Europa League then, so he's got a Champions League club to coach the following season ;)

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015
To me it’s pretty obvious that RDZ will depart this time next year, he’ll want to chance his arm at a club that’ll supply him with a squad to win silverware and be an ever present in the CL.

Realising that, I’m just lapping up this greatest ever Albion football from game to game.
To me it's not obvious that he will depart next year.
For one thing, I think he's cut from different cloth than the likes of Graham Potter: I don't think he's motivated by the same things. He's already turned down an approach from Spurs, and he said that Brighton qualifying for Europe was a greater thing than the likes of Man City winning the Premier League, which shows how he views things. The way he looks at things seems to be a bit different from the way other people do. From the way he talks, it's clear that he's motivated by bringing teams and players on, and also in the process of creating beautiful and effective football, not just getting results. Of course he wants to get results, but I think he relishes the chance to put his stamp on it. I think he's motivated by the idea of making history, and winning silverware or getting in the CL with Spurs or Chelsea would not be making history, whereas to do so with Brighton is a groundbreaking achievement. I think that's what he means by "feeling the fire."
Also, if Brighton do well in the League again next year and surpass this year's achievement and clinch a top-four place, I don't think he's going to want to leave without being the one to lead us into the CL himself. Plus I think he knows that Brighton offers something that other teams don't in terms of player recruitment and especially support from the Chairman.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
For one thing, I think he's cut from different cloth than the likes of Graham Potter: I don't think he's motivated by the same things. He's already turned down an approach from Spurs, and he said that Brighton qualifying for Europe was a greater thing than the likes of Man City winning the Premier League, which shows how he views things. The way he looks at things seems to be a bit different from the way other people do. From the way he talks, it's clear that he's motivated by bringing teams and players on, and also in the process of creating beautiful and effective football, not just getting results. Of course he wants to get results, but I think he relishes the chance to put his stamp on it. I think he's motivated by the idea of making history, and winning silverware or getting in the CL with Spurs or Chelsea would not be making history, whereas to do so with Brighton is a groundbreaking achievement. I think that's what he means by "feeling the fire."
Also, if Brighton do well in the League again next year and surpass this year's achievement and clinch a top-four place, I don't think he's going to want to leave without being the one to lead us into the CL himself. Plus I think he knows that Brighton offers something that other teams don't in terms of player recruitment and especially support from the Chairman.
Agreed. Looking at him and Tony together last night, they both look pretty settled. Might all turn to shit of course but not any time soon.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Would love you to be proved correct.

Mine’s based on:
a) Caution - we saw with Potter, Winstanley, MacAuley, Ashworth, Roberts, Cuckoo how money/power meant the overnight cutting of ties with this club. I save something back for me, if RDZ stays, then that’s a huge bonus in my mind.
b) RDZ has been openly pushing for some serious support in the transfer market this summer. I actually love his style, he’s a charmer, not a snide. Should TB do that and with EL commitments we finish say 10th, I wonder if RDZ will want to then apply his skillset with a CL club?

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015
RDZ has been openly pushing for some serious support in the transfer market this summer. I actually love his style, he’s a charmer, not a snide. Should TB do that and with EL commitments we finish say 10th, I wonder if RDZ will want to then apply his skillset with a CL club?
He has, and TB has been responding, firing up his super-computer and positioning to bring more players in. What you say about his wanting to apply his skillset with a CL club is fair enough, but I don't see RDZ as being in any kind of hurry, and I don't think he needs to be, either, and I think he knows it. He's proving his credentials here at Brighton. If and when the time comes for him to go to another club, I don't think he'll have any problems finding any takers, and in the meantime I think he prefers the challenge of doing it himself in his own way with a "virgin" club Europe-wise, rather than just stepping into a ready-made set-up and simply repeating what others have done before, ie. winning the CL or PL with Man U/Arsenal/Chelsea etc.

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015
I think that's what was rather disappointing about Potter for a lot of people. We were hoping that he would buy into the challenge of seeing how far he could go with Brighton, but instead he just jumped at the chance to go to a so-called big club as soon as they came waving money around. Ultimately in a way the same thing would apply to De Zerbi if he were to go and get success at a big club: big deal, he won the CL/PL with Man U/City/Chelsea etc. If he wins trophies with a big club, he'd only be doing what dozens of others have before. If he does it with us, he'll be doing something no one has done before. He already has done something no one has before by taking us into Europe (as he alluded to when he said that it's a greater thing than winning the PL with a big club, which shows that he, unlike Potter, gets it).

Midget

Concourse Kabe. *Posts may be affected by alcohol.
Aug 16, 2015
Lurking
I think that's what was rather disappointing about Potter for a lot of people. We were hoping that he would buy into the challenge of seeing how far he could go with Brighton, but instead he just jumped at the chance to go to a so-called big club as soon as they came waving money around. Ultimately in a way the same thing would apply to De Zerbi if he were to go and get success at a big club: big deal, he won the CL/PL with Man U/City/Chelsea etc. If he wins trophies with a big club, he'd only be doing what dozens of others have before. If he does it with us, he'll be doing something no one has done before. He already has done something no one has before by taking us into Europe (as he alluded to when he said that it's a greater thing than winning the PL with a big club, which shows that he, unlike Potter, gets it).
What I hope, and believe, is that RDZ sees that too. More rewarding to achieve the impossible than to have people saying you only won something because it was easy/you had money etc.

And for all Potter's talk of having an "easy life" at Brighton, I absolutely think he left because he felt having the money/players would make it easier for him to succeed than sticking with little old Brighton. But the real challenge is here, and that's what makes it more of an achievement.

Europa for Brighton > title for big 6.

I genuinely think De Zerbi is more like a fan than Potter ever was. As he said, that's how he started - fan, ball boy, player, coach. Yes he's a coach now and that's different, but I can picture him as a kid in the stands with his dad watching Brescia in Serie B/C, shouting at the ref no doubt. I can't imagine anything similar with Potter.

I'm not naive enough to think he'll be with us for ever. But I do think he gets it.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

When we’ve won the Europa League next summer we’ll be in the Champions League with silverware. So long term with the Albion it is then.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
The way we recruit players seems to be as much about the person as the player. I would imagine what motivates RDZ would of been something the club already knew.

I listen to analysis and commentary after or during are games and for every complement there is a snide comment about how can we keep our player’s or when someone comes in for our manager. Every bloody time we win, but these people really know f*** all about our club. They go on about us being a selling club, I am still yet, since we have been in the premier league seen a player leave when we don’t want them too. Each time we have someone to slot in to the space they left. When we didn’t, as in Caicedo we did let him leave. The difference with us is TB. I believe that he would do nothing that is not in the best interest for Brighton.

He is a professional poker player and will only show the hand he wants people to see.

That‘s not to say that some time in the future something will not go wrong, but it would not be a deliberate act of self harm for financial gain.

Graham Potter may have thought that going to Chelsea was his one shot at the big time. I think RDZ is confident enough in his own ability that chances like that will always be available to him so why the rush.

A so called big six club seem to be looking for new manger at some point in every season

Midget

Concourse Kabe. *Posts may be affected by alcohol.
Aug 16, 2015
Lurking
The way we recruit players seems to be as much about the person as the player. I would imagine what motivates RDZ would of been something the club already knew.

I listen to analysis and commentary after or during are games and for every complement there is a snide comment about how can we keep our player’s or when someone comes in for our manager. Every bloody time we win, but these people really know f*** all about our club. They go on about us being a selling club, I am still yet, since we have been in the premier league seen a player leave when we don’t want them too. Each time we have someone to slot in to the space they left. When we didn’t, as in Caicedo we did let him leave. The difference with us is TB. I believe that he would do nothing that is not in the best interest for Brighton.

He is a professional poker player and will only show the hand he wants people to see.

That‘s not to say that some time in the future something will not go wrong, but it would not be a deliberate act of self harm for financial gain.

Graham Potter may have thought that going to Chelsea was his one shot at the big time. I think RDZ is confident enough in his own ability that chances like that will always be available to him so why the rush.

A so called big six club seem to be looking for new manger at some point in every season
As a fan it really irritates me too, thankfully it won't unsettle Bloom.

I wonder how many years we will have to keep doing well before people stop saying 'yeah but look what happened to Southampton/Leicester'...

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Also, if Brighton do well in the League again next year and surpass this year's achievement and clinch a top-four place, I don't think he's going to want to leave without being the one to lead us into the CL himself. Plus I think he knows that Brighton offers something that other teams don't in terms of player recruitment and especially support from the Chairman.RThis

GallodiMare

Apr 14, 2023
Spot on!

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
RDZ said something telling in his interview out on the pitch in regards to Bloom.

He mentioned in a round about way that Bloom basically let him handle obviously Trossard and Sanchez and their attitudes his way with no interference from Bloom.

I think that earned Tony a lot of respect and Brownie points from RDZ and his team.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Well yes, but ...... many of us thought the same about Potter - that he saw us as a project and that he would want to complete that project before moving on to a bigger club.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
I feel RdZ is a bit more of a football romantic than Potter and will enjoy the process of building something and the underdog story of our club. He even said as much when he indicated he felt qualifying for Europe with Brighton was a bigger achievement than winning the league with a team that wins it every year (I'm paraphrasing, perhaps incorrectly here, but I'm sure he said something along those lines).

Edit: He pretty much did say that here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65666917

Brighton's first qualification for Europe is "more prestigious than winning the title" with a top-six club, says manager Roberto de Zerbi.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Does anyone get the feeling (apology if fixtures) that this ‘love in’ between Pep and RDZ might be the beginnings of De Zerbi almost being groomed as his natural successor at the Etihad?

City saw what a balls up United made of the Ferguson situation, so maybe they've got some kind of long term plan.
Yep, I've said for ages that if both have decent 23/24 seasons, I'd almost expect RDZ to head to MCFC next summer.

The great thing is that TB and co would've drawn up the shortlist for his replacement ages ago!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here