Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kayal and Stephens to be offered extended contracts

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I'd be disappointed if Stephens does go, but I do think Central Midfielder is one of the easier positions to fill so if a deal is going to be done, I hope it is done earlier in the window rather than later.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
We can't let these drag on too long. FWIW i think Kayal will stay but we will be forced to sell Stephens. After missing out on promotion I thought it would be inevitable that we would lose at least one of our valuable players.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Forced to sell? By who? The disparity in football finances below PL level is the reason that British talent is so expensive. Stephens is a top class Championship player at a good age. He will be very expensive to the buyer or we'll keep him on an extended contract with a buy out clause and a "you can talk to other clubs" if we don't get promoted. The big decision for BHA will be if he refuses to sign and extended deal. Then it will be down to Tony (and the board) to gamble or not.

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
I like Stephens but I don`t think he would cut it in the Premier League.
He`s too slow.
Top of the Championship is his level.
If he is not going to extend his contract with us and we can get good money for him now we should take it.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
I suspect we may need to sell at least one key player this summer. It's the only way we can continue to finance a push for promotion up against the teams with parachute payments. If we can sell one player for £5m+ then that could realistically fund 2 or 3 coming in. Bear in mind we had no significant sales last year, so by all probability we'll already be flirting with the FFP guidelines. If we can get £4/5m for Stephens or Kayal in the last year of their contracts, no matter how much we'd miss them, it'd represent pretty good business IMO.

Boy Blue

Banned
Mar 14, 2016
Problem is that, we laugh at £3m offers however he is in the last year of his contract. If he turns us down then £3m will look a whole lot more attractive than losing him for free next year.

It'll look better if we're promoted and £180 million richer.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I suspect we may need to sell at least one key player this summer. It's the only way we can continue to finance a push for promotion up against the teams with parachute payments. If we can sell one player for £5m+ then that could realistically fund 2 or 3 coming in. Bear in mind we had no significant sales last year, so by all probability we'll already be flirting with the FFP guidelines. If we can get £4/5m for Stephens or Kayal in the last year of their contracts, no matter how much we'd miss them, it'd represent pretty good business IMO.
If selling Stephens enables us to keep Kayal, Knockaert, Dunk and Goldson etc. , and add money into the striker kitty then it may be a reasonable option.

A big fee is required though.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If selling Stephens enables us to keep Kayal, Knockaert, Dunk and Goldson etc. , and add money into the striker kitty then it may be a reasonable option.

A big fee is unlikely if he wants to go as he hasn't got long left on his contract and we know that the Albion, rightly, do not stand in the way of players who want to leave.

It's potentially Ashley Barnes all over again and if rumour is right to the same fecking club...although there are some on here who thought 750k was a great bit of business by the Albion :shrug:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Add to the striker kitty? Would you not replace Stephens?

Boy Blue

Banned
Mar 14, 2016
A big fee is unlikely if he wants to go as he hasn't got long left on his contract and we know that the Albion, rightly, do not stand in the way of players who want to leave.

It's potentially Ashley Barnes all over again and if rumour is right to the same fecking club...although there are some on here who thought 750k was a great bit of business by the Albion :shrug:

Norwich will demand at least £8 million for Redmond and he has 1 year left so I expect similar cash for Stephens.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Norwich will demand at least £8 million for Redmond and he has 1 year left so I expect similar cash for Stephens.

Not sure if you are being serious or not

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
He`s too slow.
If he is not going to extend his contract with us and we can get good money for him now we should take it.

I don't get this continuing myth that you have to be quick to do well in the prem.

Ulloa wasn't the quickest, he's done alright hasn't he?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Should TB resign Burke in the hope the can flush out another gem.

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
I don't get this continuing myth that you have to be quick to do well in the prem.

Ulloa wasn't the quickest, he's done alright hasn't he?

Totally different player, Ulloa is a target man who can hold the ball up and bring others into the game, good in the air.
Stephens seems slow to me in the Championship but gets away with it because he`s a good reader of the game.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Both excellent. Here's hoping they extend their respective contracts.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Add to the striker kitty? Would you not replace Stephens?

Depends on the player brought in. Alejandro Faurlín's contract is up at QPR, as is Alexander Tettey's at Norwich, both could be good additions. Not all good signings will include a transfer fee, the addition of Rosenoir last season proves that.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Depends on the player brought in. Alejandro Faurlín's contract is up at QPR, as is Alexander Tettey's at Norwich, both could be good additions. Not all good signings will include a transfer fee, the addition of Rosenoir last season proves that.

Typically though a 'free transfer' will just mean a big signing on fee for the player

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
He`s too slow.
it.

Stephens is more than capable - pace is not an issue- he's noslower than Henderson Rooney or wilshere and he wasn't "too slow" when he headed the ball in the goal at Boro.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here