Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Kaoru Mitoma [27/2/24 - possibly out for the rest of the season]

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
As much as I love him, as much as his goal at Wolves was incredible, as much as he raises our profile and merch sales in Asia, as much as I LOVE that he’s studied dribbling….,

He only has one foot. He’s massively scared of making a mistake with his left foot. And everyone’s worked it out.
I have also been bemoaning the lack of Mitoma we have seen this season.
The Wolves goal was incredible, but its starting to look like a bit of a Barnes / Maracana.

Mitoma was a player who had me off my seat whenever he received the ball down that left. Now, I know EXACTLY what he's going to do. Cut back, and just lay it off into traffic.

I dunno whats happened. He is a shadow of the player he was a few months ago.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I have also been bemoaning the lack of Mitoma we have seen this season.
The Wolves goal was incredible, but its starting to look like a bit of a Barnes / Maracana.

Mitoma was a player who had me off my seat whenever he received the ball down that left. Now, I know EXACTLY what he's going to do. Cut back, and just lay it off into traffic.

I dunno whats happened. He is a shadow of the player he was a few months ago.
No Estupinan. Either a CB behind him who doesn’t get forward or James Milner *shudder* His whole game is about getting 1 on 1 so if the FB isn’t getting forward and overlapping it reduces his effectiveness massively

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
No Estupinan. Either a CB behind him who doesn’t get forward or James Milner *shudder*
I don't really buy that.

Estupinan is a big miss for the team. But Mitoma is STILL finding himself 1 on 1 with some goon fullback who I just KNOW he could go to the byline with and leave him buying a ticket back into the ground. But he doesn't do it any more. Doesn't even try.

I'm not saying he's lazy. He just seems to have totally lost his mojo.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Think he might get one but more because social media reporting him of crutches post-match!
Wil probably miss Spurs and West Ham and then we’d have lost him until
Feb for the Asian cup anyway. From a selfish BHA viewpoint, injury keeping him out of action for 4-5 weeks might not be the worst thing.

mile oak

May 21, 2023
I don't really buy that.

Estupinan is a big miss for the team. But Mitoma is STILL finding himself 1 on 1 with some goon fullback who I just KNOW he could go to the byline with and leave him buying a ticket back into the ground. But he doesn't do it any more. Doesn't even try.

I think its more when Gross and another Albion player get into a corner they like to play the ball around between them. I hope Im imagining this but its as if he wont or cant cross the ball never mind take players on when we play 3 v 3 in a corner. I think too often lately we seem to want to go down the middle trying to go through opponents that just pack the box centrally and its when we mix it up more, go wide we have greater success with crosses in the box. We miss Solly for sure.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
I don't really buy that.

He looks to me like a player who started believing in his own hype. Wants to stroll about looking pretty and is pretty ineffective recently. Similar to Grealish at City compared to Villa. Just gets the ball takes a touch or two then passes sideways or backwards

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think its more when Gross and another Albion player get into a corner they like to play the ball around between them. I hope Im imagining this but its as if he wont or cant cross the ball never mind take players on when we play 3 v 3 in a corner. I think too often lately we seem to want to go down the middle trying to go through opponents that just pack the box centrally and its when we mix it up more, go wide we have greater success with crosses in the box. We miss Solly for sure.
I don't agree. Yes, we do often try to pick our way through the middle. But Mitoma is the ultimate outlet. Once it got to him, the fun would begin.

He is not doing what he used to do. You could say teams have got wise and double up on him, which is true to an extent. But he seems to have lost that raw jet-heeled power that would burn off most defenders regardless. He's not had any major injury, so I can only assume its a matter of confidence.

I really, really want last seasons Mitoma back.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
He looks to me like a player who started believing in his own hype. Wants to stroll about looking pretty and is pretty ineffective recently. Similar to Grealish at City compared to Villa. Just gets the ball takes a touch or two then passes sideways or backwards
I don't see it that way at all. One thing Mitoma is NOT, is a prima-donna. There is no questioning his workrate. He's no stroller.

He's lost something though.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
No Estupinan. Either a CB behind him who doesn’t get forward or James Milner *shudder* His whole game is about getting 1 on 1 so if the FB isn’t getting forward and overlapping it reduces his effectiveness massively
This

there were a couple of games where Mitoma/Pedro/Estupian were causing havoc.
Mitoma needs threatening players alongside him to help draw the defence away from him.

Hopefully we eill get to see Mitoma and Estupinan back together soon.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
And he’s been knackered for weeks - the lack of a decent cover for Pervis has meant he not only has no back up but ends up running twice the distance not just to pick up the ball in CMF but dropping very deep to defend the space at the back too - he also is a magnet for bullyish defenders so doesn’t get the space to dribble into anymore - I think he’s doing his best but I think some of those shots/passes came from a very energy depleted kick this evening. He’s definitely not a slacker.
Also defenders have cottoned onto the fact that PGMOL will not look at any penalty appeal involving Mitoma.
So they have carte-blanche to push and nibble at him in the box.

Pretty sure Mitoma is yet to win a penalty in the premier league.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here