Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just how rich IS Bloom?

Bones

Oct 25, 2006
Portslade
I was at the NFL game at Wembley and TB was hosting on the table next to us. The guys from Spreadex we were with estimated he was worth about 900m. This was about 5 years ago.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Please go on, explain more. DK took over in 1997, at what point are you saying TB took control?

Who put in the money. Well before Bloom took control he was bankrolling the club.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I'd guess the same. So - could we agree on "Tony's going for it, but not REALLY going for it" on the basis that it's highly likely that at least three clubs in this division this season will breach FFP in their attempt to get promotion, for the same reasons we want to (absent 1901 renewals)?

There is no way that TB would allow the club to fall foul of FFP in the light of his stance on it and that PB is now FL director. We have 13m allowable loss this season plus whatever is left from the Ulloa/Bridcutt/Buckley/Barnes money and bonuses, so that is a substantial amount to be playing with.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Heard a rumour that Bloom was planning to sell his current sports betting company. Which would probably make him considerably richer again.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
and what would that be then? one simply does not do £500m deals in secret, so it must be public if quiet knowledge, so you can share this deal with the class. Bloom doesnt appear be involved or linked to any major busineses, thats a little odd for a billionaire.

He's business is international, the one I'm aware of involved a pineapple.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
There is no way that TB would allow the club to fall foul of FFP in the light of his stance on it and that PB is now FL director. We have 13m allowable loss this season plus whatever is left from the Ulloa/Bridcutt/Buckley/Barnes money and bonuses, so that is a substantial amount to be playing with.

Oh, I completely agree. I was merely making the point that I think that some other clubs will have no compunction about exceeding the FFP limit (again) and thus be able to, on average, afford better players. Thus, if we're to go up, we have to be better at the recruitment game and have a better manager than those that spend more money. Fortunately for us, this season, even though it's in its infancy, it looks like we might have both those things...

Also, of course, there are lots of clubs with parachute payments. So, if TB isn't going to exceed FFP, even though we'll spend loads more than previous seasons, we'll still be maybe 8th-ish in terms of budget, relative to all the other clubs.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
When you say well before are you saying "from 1997"? If so what source as this is new to me. I would be surprised he bankrolled it but didn't have control.

No you doughnut. During the Withdean days. This has been flogged to death so many times.

Someone's wealth is private if they want it to be.

A good friend of mine who I see two or three times a week is worth at least 80 million but no one would hazard a guess. For one he likes me!

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Oh, I completely agree. I was merely making the point that I think that some other clubs will have no compunction about exceeding the FFP limit (again) and thus be able to, on average, afford better players. Thus, if we're to go up, we have to be better at the recruitment game and have a better manager than those that spend more money. Fortunately for us, this season, even though it's in its infancy, it looks like we might have both those things...

Also, of course, there are lots of clubs with parachute payments. So, if TB isn't going to exceed FFP, even though we'll spend loads more than previous seasons, we'll still be maybe 8th-ish in terms of budget, relative to all the other clubs.

Yup. Totally agree. It's not the size that counts, it's what you do with it.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'd guess the same. So - could we agree on "Tony's going for it, but not REALLY going for it" on the basis that it's highly likely that at least three clubs in this division this season will breach FFP in their attempt to get promotion, for the same reasons we want to (absent 1901 renewals)?

yep

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We have 13m allowable loss this season plus whatever is left from the Ulloa/Bridcutt/Buckley/Barnes money and bonuses
From an FFP point of view, what could actually be used in this season? I'd think the sale money can't, as it's in the past. I'm not even sure about the goals and staying up bonuses, as they're in the past too.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
No you doughnut. During the Withdean days. This has been flogged to death so many times.

Someone's wealth is private if they want it to be.

A good friend of mine who I see two or three times a week is worth at least 80 million but no one would hazard a guess. For one he likes me!

Sure, whatever, just a rumour then

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

ManxSeagull

NSC Creator
Jul 5, 2003
Isle of Man
Agreed. Out of interest, do you think "going for it" includes or excludes breaching the £13m FFP loss limit this season?

Isn't the new ruling £39m over three years, so in theory you could blow £30+ this seasons in a gamble to get up and then have to go easy over the following two years as a result if promotion didn't happen

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here