Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just got back from the game thread

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
Let's not Write Orlandi or Dobbie off yet. Was a tough game for anyone to come off the bench to

This is what I was saying to the couple next to me. At home, when we can play with the ball, against a less physical team, Orlandi will be great. Not against a very tense, tight game such as that. Dobbie got no service, so hard to judge him on that!

Very difficult game, but a win is a win, and will happily take 3 points tonight. AEA is my MOTM for me, kept us in it and gave them a taste of their physical medicine.

bassking

Mar 18, 2011
The Dollar Store
The radio commentary suggested Watford had 3 very strong claims for a penalty and we were very fortunate not to concede one of them - what was your view on this ?
Just got back, had two friends in watford end, 1 albion 1 watford, both said 3 appeals for pens, the last a nailed on pen for sure, but because the ref was fed up with the diving for the 2 previous he didnt give it. got lucky i guess.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Radio seemed to suggest that Orlandi kept Poodle quiet all gamr & after he was subbed for Barnes, Poodle was far more dangerous & Barnes didnt look interested
No they didn't. Infact it was the other way round.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No they didn't. Infact it was the other way round.
What, that's EXACTLY what Aspinall said.

It comes to something when people don't agree with what they heard.

You sir, are very wrong on this,

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Well after being under the cosh for at least 20 mins at the start when really Watford should have scored I'm pretty happy with the end result. CMS ran his socks off tonight and ran out of steam but to be honest we had 3 one on ones to kill this off and it should have been a lot easier. The penalty was clear cut with no complaints from Watford and the travelling support were superb. My mom was Buckley tonight he had their defenders in his pocket. The only player I would pick a hole in was Orlandi who to be honest had a shocker. All in all a good result away from home against a big physical team.

Pretty good summary. Can't disagree with much other than Will Buckley as MOM, for the first 20 mins it was his worst performance in a Brighton shirt IMO, he was just trying too hard. As soon as Poyet switched him with Orlandi he was fantastic.

Felt Barnes was bundled over a bit when he was through, but having denied Watford claims for pens, he was never going to give us one.

I was so much happier than last year.

Only recall Watford having one clear cut chance early in the first half despite all their possession. Reminded me of us last year on occasions. Resorted to long range shooting in the second half and although they hit the top of the bar they did not look likely to score. I thought we had the better chances and defended well.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Those who didn't think ours was a penalty -

A) should play closer attention
B) should have been able to gauge from the fact that not a single Watford player complained that it was a good decision

Adam El Abd kept us in the game during a five minute master class in the centre backs art. Buckley was good for most of the game. Orlandi didn't fancy it at all.

Overall - we are a great team if the opposition let us strut our funky stuff but if they press us hard we have no alternative apart from hoofball. Same as last year really.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
This is encouraging from those that were there. Listening to the commentary Watford were absolutely destroying us in the last 25 minutes.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
We were slightly lucky to get all three points really.

Seemed to defend deeper and deeper as the half went on, would thought we would have learnt from previous experience this normally costs us.

Orlandi didn't have a great game, but is clearly isn't match sharp yet, also Dicker didn't really have an influence on the game like on Friday.

Disappointed with the two subs, while Barnes did put in a shift as a virtual 2nd right back his body language and attitude wasn't good, and should have been sent off for his reaction to a player trying to pick him up after he dived. Dobbie didn't look interested either.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Overall - we are a great team if the opposition let us strut our funky stuff but if they press us hard we have no alternative apart from hoofball. Same as last year really.

We did have an alternative and that was trying to knock 2 or 3 feet passes around on the edge of our box and never have I been so delighted to see it hoofed away, even though it was right back on us seconds later.

Reminded me a bit of how West Ham played us at our place last season, 'cept they did it well and pretty well locked us out

Makes me worry a bit for Saturday, the fella watching that from Millwall would have been straight on the blower to Jackett. Got to hope that they won't be as technically capable as Watford or better still Gus figures out how to counter it.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Thought although we where under the cosh for a long spell in the second half our defence was strong. Especially El Abd as alot of people have mentioned.

Orlandi didnt look great but had some nice touches, not sure his match fit. Perhaps just needs some time.

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
We did have an alternative and that was trying to knock 2 or 3 feet passes around on the edge of our box and never have I been so delighted to see it hoofed away, even though it was right back on us seconds later.

Reminded me a bit of how West Ham played us at our place last season, 'cept they did it well and pretty well locked us out

Makes me worry a bit for Saturday, the fella watching that from Millwall would have been straight on the blower to Jackett. Got to hope that they won't be as technically capable as Watford or better still Gus figures out how to counter it.

Agreed, A game we would easily lost last season. In the book 1-0 simples. We are a stronger outfit than last, i am delighted we won ugly,luckily etc. There will be games we lose playing well, so letsa take it. Millwall struggling at the moment, so hofefully a good time to go there on saturday and win. Not sure they are capable of playing the same pressing game, and they are short of confidence.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I didn't think any of them were from our end. Blatant dives after minimal contact.

My Watford supporting colleague, who was sat in their stand behind the goal thought all three should have been given, certainly two were stone wall and the body check was debatable but " we have all seen them given". But every time one of our players falls over in the box, it's a stone wall penalty, so it all evens itslelf out over the season

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Disappointed with the two subs, while Barnes did put in a shift as a virtual 2nd right back his body language and attitude wasn't good, and should have been sent off for his reaction to a player trying to pick him up after he dived. Dobbie didn't look interested either.

I know it's a game of opinions but Barnes didn't dive, he was wrestled to the ground and held down. When he got up, he reacted angrily which got a well deserved booking. He won headers in the air that Orlandi couldn't manage, tackled and won the ball and got through to have a shot on goal himself.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
... ... ...

Based on tonight's performance we need to work out a Plan B. Zola gave a great team talk at half time, because in the 2nd half Watford worked out how to play us and pressed up the pitch. What we didn't do was work out a way of playing the ball through the middle. Our midfield all got pushed deep and we lost our ability to switch play from side to side. The result was that we were reduced to playing long balls over the top to CMS and then Dobbie.

... ... ...

Delighted with the points, but very worried about the above. That was the story of last season away from home. I has hoped that we had found a "plan B", over the summer, based upon the increase in quality. Perhaps that is why Gus still wants another (bigger) striker?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Imagine the M from YMCA, kept doing that so looked like a seagull. Might have done it before but I have not seen it :lol:

It was the MOBOT, followed by three massive double fisted punches in the air. He seemed very pleased!

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Delighted with the points, but very worried about the above. That was the story of last season away from home. I has hoped that we had found a "plan B", over the summer, based upon the increase in quality. Perhaps that is why Gus still wants another (bigger) striker?

Perhaps last night will make it clear to Gus that we DO need the target man sooner rather than later. Warren Aspinall mentioned that they are still looking, as he's part of the scouting team. Aspinall also said that they're looking at players similar to Iwelumo, but more mobile.

I didn't attend last night, but it sounded like Iwelumo won just about everything in the air last night, and gave Watford that extra dimension.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here