Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just got back from the game thread

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Summed up well above. Thought we did ok from about 15th to 75th min. Ref and Lino on our side had a shocker I thought. Bridcutt, Bruno, Barnes and Kusczak did well. Orlandi very poor, Barnes sorted us out when he came on and put in a real shift.

Long balls to Dobbie was frustrating. Didn't think Watford offered too much in 6 yard box, they did not deserve anything more than a point! These are the big games to win if we are serious

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY
Well after being under the cosh for at least 20 mins at the start when really Watford should have scored I'm pretty happy with the end result. CMS ran his socks off tonight and ran out of steam but to be honest we had 3 one on ones to kill this off and it should have been a lot easier. The penalty was clear cut with no complaints from Watford and the travelling support were superb. My mom was Buckley tonight he had their defenders in his pocket. The only player I would pick a hole in was Orlandi who to be honest had a shocker. All in all a good result away from home against a big physical team.

Radio seemed to suggest that Orlandi kept Poodle quiet all gamr & after he was subbed for Barnes, Poodle was far more dangerous & Barnes didnt look interested

Baaaald

3rd time lucky
Aug 7, 2011
Haywards Heath
Well after being under the cosh for at least 20 mins at the start when really Watford should have scored I'm pretty happy with the end result. CMS ran his socks off tonight and ran out of steam but to be honest we had 3 one on ones to kill this off and it should have been a lot easier. The penalty was clear cut with no complaints from Watford and the travelling support were superb. My mom was Buckley tonight he had their defenders in his pocket. The only player I would pick a hole in was Orlandi who to be honest had a shocker. All in all a good result away from home against a big physical team.

Fully agree. Orlandi looked nervous and off the pace. Worried about first two sightings of Dobbie too he doesn't look that interested. Love the chants of Dobbie, Dobbie, Dobbie, OI OI OI when he came on though - comedy!!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Watford had a game plan to hit hard and fast which put us under the cosh for a while but gradually we got back in it and just before half time was our best spell. Adam El-Abd was getting to everything before Iwelumo and Kuszczak made some excellent decisions to come out for crosses catching them neatly. Our penalty was definitely a penalty as I was in line with it and their defender hooked his foot around CMS' ankle. Unfortunately when CMS was through, he fired one over the bar which would have killed the game off. Watford's nearest chance came when they hit the bar and then we started defending too deep and putting ourselves under the cosh. I wouldn't have been too disappointed with a draw but pleased we got all 3 points. I wasn't sure about their penalty shouts as they had been falling over easily throughout the game.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
they say the sign of a good team is that it still wins when they play badly and that was us tonight i think. They started strongly as you would expect and when they ran out of ideas after 25 min's or so we had our best spell ... For the remainder of the 1st half and we had 2 or 3 good chances, (diff to see from my position in the back row) buckley was tormenting the hell out of them with the normal good supporting work from bridge and bruno.

2nd half they pressed up on us and it got so you couldn't tell our midfield from the defensive line and we had palyers getting tangled up all over and some almost comical attempts to pass our way out of trouble ... Don't know what possession was but we didn't have much but we did hold firm and all credit to our back line for holding strong. Kooshack didn't really have a save to make but controlled the box well. His distribution is naff although not helped by having very little space to work in.

Diff to pick a mom ... Buckley or el abd

orlandi was very disappointing, just didn't see him do anything and after a decent game saturday dicker looked poor too. Barnes is going to get sent off very soon, he needs to get a bit more self control, even if his actions are retaliatory.

But all credit to watford they pressed right up on us and we couldn't deal with it

agree with this

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Very lucky to get three points tonight imho.....we were REALLY slow at the start - Iwelumo caused loads of probs, and they had three or four half chances, at least one of which should have gone in. We got it together after about 15 mins and for most of the rest of the first half played pretty well (although, as noted, Orlandi was poor). After half time we won the pen (I was pretty sure it WAS a pen, tbh), but then seemed to go into our shell. Hammond & Dicker played way too deep, and we simply couldn't keep the ball. The penalty appeals for Watford were at the far end, but none looked convincing - however, after brushing them all away I was certain that the next shout the ref WOULD give (fortunately the clock ran down before they had another chance to dive). After a very impressive performance on Friday, tonight showed we are still a long way from the finished article. Although I expect Watford will be at least upper mid table when they settle down and their players get to know each other.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
holed up in my hotel now and feeling very chuffed at seeing 2 wins in 5 days, back to Seagulls Player for the rest of the season for me now after I head back to perth on Friday. I thought we rode our luck early but then should have been ahead by half time. We held on to a Watford onslaught late on but by backing off we just didn't help ourselves. I was delighted when that little Udinese #41 was subbed, I was sure he'd fall over in the area and get a penalty plus whilst he was on his feet he was Watford's greatest threat by far. I thought their penalty calls all looked suss but they were a long away to be fair. Also their penultimate sub (#38?) looked good. Couldn't believe the Watford crowd, pathetic really, they will see somne good football this season but they need to liven the f*** up, they were so quiet.
Ref had a shocker, they guy who went over on Bridcutt was lucky to stay on as was barnes for that stupid over reaction to being hauled up (which could have earned a red too - their #5 was good apart from that nonsense).
Basically I reckon we mugged em', but you need those wins.
Isn't the big pole in our goal an imposing and confidence spreading presence, he even did a Mo Farrar as he left the pitch along with several sky punches, I like him.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Radio seemed to suggest that Orlandi kept Poodle quiet all gamr & after he was subbed for Barnes, Poodle was far more dangerous & Barnes didnt look interested

They got it wrong. Orlandi was very quiet and Barnes came on to shore things up. He was almost playing as a right back.

Apr 17, 2011
Shoreham
Linesman was my MOM. On 2 occasions we could see that the ball was over the touchline - one of them even went behind the Linesmans head and both times we benefited, great stuff.
Satisfied with result - but was a bit edgy 2nd half when we allowed them to overrun the middle of the park - Hammond and Dicker missing in action hence Bridders having to do a lot of work. El Abd solid, Bruno and Bridge played well - Orlandi may take time to bloom but Dobbie needs a kick up the arse, a bit of Harleys laziness appeared to apparent. But hey we battled hard and won and that makes me happy.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Im back courtesy of the blues away coach :) How funny was the lino or what , 3 times the ball clearly out by a country mile and he failed to spot it , he got so confused at one point not knowing which way to give a throw he just lobbed the flag on the floor :)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Our penalty was nailed on. Tackle from directly behind him. Was always going to be a pen. Thought so at the time, and seeing it now on SSN confirms it.

forrest

Aug 11, 2010
haywards heath
Lino and Ref had a shocker between them. Nicely taken penalty by CMS. The big Pole ibn the goal had another outstanding game. All in all my first trip to vicarage road was a great time. Shit ground and home fans though.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
Watford's three penalty shouts:

1. 50/50 Seen them given alot in the last couple of seasons, in the old days it would never have been given, but these aren't the old days.

2. Looked like a definite pen to me. I looked at the ref straight after the collision fully expecting to see him pointing at the spot.

3. Definitely not a pen, but because of the other two close calls, wouldn't have been surprised if he gave it

All in all a funny game.

Watford bossed long periods of the game, but really didn't threaten much, but Brighton had 3 clear cut chances and should have won more comfortably.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Let's not Write Orlandi or Dobbie off yet. Was a tough game for anyone to come off the bench to

Ps how good was Kuszack seagull thing at the end

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
2. Looked like a definite pen to me. I looked at the ref straight after the collision fully expecting to see him pointing at the spot.

Agreed. After some of the rather odd decisions he'd given throughout the game I couldn't believe he didn't give that one.

On another note; if you're reading, cheers to the 2 guys who helped me skip a few places in the taxi rank at Watford station by letting me jump in your cab. Probably wouldn't have made the start of the match otherwise :thumbsup:

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
Donkey, is that you??

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Did anyone else notice the clock on the score board jump from 11 minutes to go straight to 9 minutes to go? Me and my crew were having kittens over the time remaining, 11 seemed to last forever then 9 appeared without 10 coming up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here