[Politics] Johnson Enquiry - The poll

Were the Enquiries recommendations

• Total voters

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Whether you want to call it the backfire effect, belief perseverance, egocentric bias, or even the sunk cost fallacy, there's always going to be a significant number of people who will not change their entrenched view.
If anything, presenting evidence to the contrary simply serves to reinforce that view (at whichever end of the political spectrum you find them).

https://effectiviology.com/backfire-effect-facts-dont-change-minds/

You can also bring cognitive dissonance to this party. If someone holds the view that Johnson is great (for whatever reason, but for some it's definitely "getting Brexit done"), they don't want to accept anything that shows what a **** he is, because doing so creates an uncomfortable feeling of holding opposing opinions. To get rid of the discomfort, they have 3 options:
  1. Abandon their original view (accept they were wrong and Johnson isn't great)
  2. Reinforce their original position - seek out information that supports the idea Johnson is great (read & believe the Daily Mail: "he got Brexit done / vaccine rollout / only PM who could win the GE for the Tories")
  3. Downplay whatever Johnson has done that would make him seem less great (it's normal - they are all liars/in it for themselves/incompetent; or it was only birthday cake/leaving dos; or the inquiry report might seem damning, but it wasn't fair/ kangaroo court /undemocratic etc etc
There's more point shouting at the wind than trying to change that kind of closed mind, even with facts.

What I will also say is that with regard to option 1 above, this is more likely if the alternative presented isn't extreme. Hero to criminal zero is less likely to happen than hero to "misguided former hero whose time is up".
As much as I am enjoying the Boris pile-on (and contribute to it), it doesn't help in the efforts to finally flush the turd away and get him out of public life. The trouble is, he really deserves it, so it's incredibly hard not to revel in it even though it's counter-productive.

It's somewhat like the storyline in Ghostbusters II - the negativity just feeds the beast. Maybe we need a nationwide rendition of Auld Lang Syne to get rid of Boris the Carpathian once and for all?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
He was lying, but don't they all?

Hopefully as a nation we can draw a line under it and move on, he can go on his lecture tours earning millions and still managing to get his leg over ladies well out of his league.
Not sure why the attempted whataboutism, but even they 'they all' do:
a) 'they' are not the Prime Minister
b) 'they' didn't create the rules
c) 'they' didn't lie to the public during a global pandemic
d) 'they' don't have dozens of examples of blatant lying to anyone and everyone they meet/work for/serve.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Rishi Sunak to miss vote sanctioning Boris Johnson over Partygate

Happy Big Brother GIF by MOODMAN

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I put fair because I trust the committee.

Personally, I'd have put him in the stocks.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Eh? The giraffe guy isn't playing the spoof roll?

You mean he's being serious in his posts? Surely it's just an hilarious spoof.

Its got to be. No one could be that gullible surely?
He's a moderator.

Which is worth remembering next time NSC is accused, by one of the resident loonies, of being nothing more than a mouthpiece for the labour party and its Trained Marxists, while its biased moderators suppress and censor the honest opinions of right-minded full-English gammon.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not sure why the attempted whataboutism, but even they 'they all' do:
a) 'they' are not the Prime Minister
b) 'they' didn't create the rules
c) 'they' didn't lie to the public during a global pandemic
d) 'they' don't have dozens of examples of blatant lying to anyone and everyone they meet/work for/serve.
Politicians are not all the same.

Perhaps undertakers are all the same.

If you are used to everything always being the same then I guess you can be forgiven for assuming that all types of everything are the same.

"Fancy trying this new cumquat and turmeric boiled sweet?"

No thanks. They are all the same.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Has Diane Abbot got Parkinsons? Surely she has been around politics long enough to not get that nervous? This whole debate is just everything that is wrong with politics. Some awful toadying Tory woman banging on about being a college lecturer from Grimsby so she knows what she is on about when she said he didn't lie. Trappy Phillips using the "give way" thing to get in a cheap (but good) joke, SNP butting in with no purpose. Most of the Tory's hiding. Penny Morduant and Chris Bryant are the only two I have seen so far behaving like adults.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Has Diane Abbot got Parkinsons? Surely she has been around politics long enough to not get that nervous? This whole debate is just everything that is wrong with politics. Some awful toadying Tory woman banging on about being a college lecturer from Grimsby so she knows what she is on about when she said he didn't lie. Trappy Phillips using the "give way" thing to get in a cheap (but good) joke, SNP butting in with no purpose. Most of the Tory's hiding. Penny Morduant and Chris Bryant are the only two I have seen so far behaving like adults.
I thought Harperson spoke with dignity and restraint (in response to some po-faced and pathetic Etonioan whataboutery from Jacob Cerise Mogg)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
She's not well. This was reported some time ago.

That said, she is a gold plated pillock, and has fallen under the Starmer bus. I said when he got in, all he needs to do about his loonies is wait till they do something stupidly wrong, then pull a wing off, and continue till they either shut up or lose the whip.

I am surprised that Mouldy Boots, wokewanka or Potty didn't start a thread on this:

"In April 2023, Abbott wrote to The Observer saying that Irish people, Jews and Travellers did not experience the same racism.[66] Labour withdrew the whip following its publication.[66] Abbott withdrew her remarks, apologised and said: "Racism takes many forms, and it is completely undeniable that Jewish people have suffered its monstrous effects, as have Irish people, Travellers and many others."[67] Abbott also said the letter was an initial draft sent by mistake.[68]"

Oh, hang on, no I'm not surprised.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Good. They were warned they were bordering on contempt.

Let’s hope they go after the haunted pencil. The nasty group that undermined the committee (mostly those who received honours from Johnson) should all get their 10 day suspensions. Then let’s see democracy take over and see what the people think of their conduct.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Let’s hope they go after the haunted pencil. The nasty group that undermined the committee (mostly those who received honours from Johnson) should all get their 10 day suspensions. Then let’s see democracy take over and see what the people think of their conduct.
Interesting. It's almost the reverse of what happened in the early months of Johnson's administration when the swivel-eyeds got rid of the wets.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Threatening behaviour from the peer, who Johnson made a Lord, after a £500,000 donation.

A hit list!

Last edited:

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
He was lying, but don't they all?

Hopefully as a nation we can draw a line under it and move on, he can go on his lecture tours earning millions and still managing to get his leg over ladies well out of his league.
In response to your first comment the answer is no they don't all lie, at least no more than the rest of us.... Uber liars like Johnson shamelessly lie on an industrial scale.

As for the second point, we need to draw a line under it; I am sure he will earn millions..... but I do not wish for that to happen. It's vice rewarded...

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Previously a staunch Johnson supporter, Mid Sussex MP Mims Davies voted for the Privileges Committee report last night. Very surprising, I assumed she would take the easy way out like so many Tories and not attend. But credit to her, she demonstrated more transparency and honesty than coward Sunak.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here