Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

John Barnes

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
so, which is it? you didn't read my post(s) or you don't know what the word 'moralising' means?

i may have a picture of Anne Frank (thanks for pointing out her name, i wasn't sure) as my avatar but you are a bit of a thicky (and,yes, i have dumbed-down my response with the audience in mind).
neither, I've read all your posts and you were moralising about racism, maybe you don't understand the definition ? I pointed out that your avatar was Anne frank for other people's benefit who may not have known who it was , I never doubted you knew who it was in a pitiful attempt at 'edgy' humour, who next, damilola taylor, Madeleine McCann ? :tosser:

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Maybe I am confusing two points here, but you seem to be using Bobby Robson as an example of English Managers being a bit shite? If so, bad choice.
Robson failed to qualify for Euro 84 things got so bad 2nd June 1984 a 2 0 loss at home to USSR resulted in Robson being spat upon by England fans.A Quarter Final in 86 after losing 1 0 to Portugal and drawing 0 0v Morocco in the group stage. 3 straight defeats at Euro 88 ,a draw with Saudi Arabia before Italia 90 with the headlines In the name of Allah go .A dire Group stage at Italia 90 failing to win v Belguim ,Cameroon or Germany in 90 mins hardly puts Bobby up there with the best England manager even though he led us to the semi final.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Robson failed to qualify for Euro 84 things got so bad 2nd June 1984 a 2 0 loss at home to USSR resulted in Robson being spat upon by England fans.A Quarter Final in 86 after losing 1 0 to Portugal and drawing 0 0v Morocco in the group stage. 3 straight defeats at Euro 88 ,a draw with Saudi Arabia before Italia 90 with the headlines In the name of Allah go .A dire Group stage at Italia 90 failing to win v Belguim ,Cameroon or Germany in 90 mins hardly puts Bobby up there with the best England manager even though he led us to the semi final.

Well, we beat Cameroon (because of their indiscipline ), but I agree, we did blunder our way to the semi-finals that year. It was a poor tournament.

Bobby wasn't a great international manager, but at club level he was something else.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Very weird post.

Questioning Bobby Robson's tactics during Italia 90 in a thread about John Barnes? Aside from the fact that Bobby showed himself to be a good tactician who got the best out of Peter Beardsley, David Platt etc, I'm not sure playing two left footers on either wing would have been a great idea against the Germans. Or perhaps it was Paul Parker's fault for allowing Brehme's shot to deflect off him?
:dunce:

He was talking about the Argentina quarter final in 1986. If you're going to respond with full on sarcasm, it's always a good idea to know what you're talking about. Otherwise you just look a bit of a clown.

And WCP was right that Barnes changed that game when he came on. However, as we have seen with KLL, some players just don't have the same impact when they start games. John Barnes was ridiculously patchy for England and was exactly like this and was understandably left out of the starting XI. WCP, you need to remember the preceding Portugal and Morocco games, and what a difference Steven and Beardsley made against Poland...

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
:dunce:

He was talking about the Argentina quarter final in 1986. If you're going to respond with full on sarcasm, it's always a good idea to know what you're talking about. Otherwise you just look a bit of a clown.

And WCP was right that Barnes changed that game when he came on. However, as we have seen with KLL, some players just don't have the same impact when they start games. John Barnes was ridiculously patchy for England and was exactly like this and was understandably left out of the starting XI. WCP, you need to remember the preceding Portugal and Morocco games, and what a difference Steven and Beardsley made against Poland...
The 1st and 2nd goals v Poland in that game were some of the finest passing moves i've seen from England.Beardsley's ball on the turn to Hodge was superb as was Hodge's cross in for Lineker.

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
neither, I've read all your posts and you were moralising about racism, maybe you don't understand the definition ? I pointed out that your avatar was Anne frank for other people's benefit who may not have known who it was , I never doubted you knew who it was in a pitiful attempt at 'edgy' humour, who next, damilola taylor, Madeleine McCann ? :tosser:

well, you quite obviously don't know what moralising is so there's no point continuing that thread of discussion but i'd love to know the connection between Anne Frank and the other two you mentioned.

oh, and you gave me a little wanker sign. well done you.

maybe you are offended by my avatar and have surmised that, due to a choice of picture i made ages ago and have barely thought about since, everything i say is offensive. you're making yourself look a little silly in trying to prove that point.

and never forget - you can't give offence, you can only take it.

have a nice day, twatface.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

I was thinking more of his record as a club manager, apart from Sven, all England managers have been English so a bit hard to compare him, in that role, to other nationalities.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here