Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

John Barnes

Feb 14, 2010
One thing is for certain, both Barnes and Waddle should have been on the pitch not the bench against Argentina in that hand of God game. How on earth Trevor Stephen and someone else kept them out of the side just makes me shake my head. Perceived wisdom of the day was that they were both "luxury players". If they had been on from the start then we might have ran the entire game, not just the the last 15/20 minutes when Bobby Robson deemed to put them on. If that doesn't teach you to form your own view on things and not just take for granted the perceived wisdom of the day then nothing will. English football managers? On the whole they make me shake my head and wonder how they can still know so little about football despite it being all they have ever done.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Chris Hughton seems to have made a decent career out of football management... maybe he's just good at it.

It is a massive problem that there should theoretically be more black managers; however I am not sure that John Barnes hasn't had a fair crack of the whip in terms of management. To succeed as a manager you need to succeed at the very least every third club you manage. Possibly every second club you manage.

A lot of success in management tends to be down to who you manage and when and what expectations are at a particular club at that point in time. There are only 92 football league clubs and lots of white managers have fallen by the way-side as well.

CH has got his success via a very good hard work ethic and a very meticulous research on clubs before he goes for interviews. At my own work I consider myself very good but I am shit during interviews. Perhaps John Barnes is just coming up against people who interview better than he does or who have CVs better suited to the jobs he is applying for.

I don't know whather I like the ''Rooney Rule' or not. I do know that we need more black managers and I hope that we get them soon. What I don't want though is Managers getting jobs for the wrong reason because the fans deserve the best person to be given the job because they are the ones who go and watch their team every week

gordonchas

Jul 1, 2012
unless i completely misunderstood what you said, yes i am serious

Every single one of those African nations with white coaches has a black president. In what sense could there possibly be racism at play in the decision making processes of those associations?

And unless I completely misunderstood you too, I didn't care for the implication of your original post.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Name an ex black player you would consider as manager.

I always thought Viv Anderson, Des Walker and Ugo Ehiogu seemed fairly intelligent footballers who I assumed would go on to management, similar attitude to Southgate etc..

I know Ugo is a football agent, but surprised that the other two never progressed.

David James is clearly intelligent, but has an ego problem of epic proportions, but the likes of Rio, Ashley Cole, Ledley King etc... you wouldn't expect to make good managers, in the same way as I don't expect Rooney, Terry or Peter Crouch to carve out a career in football management either.

Jermaine Jenas has really surprised me as a pundit on the BBC, seemed like one of those players who money was more important than playing, but clearly knows his stuff.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I always thought Viv Anderson, Des Walker and Ugo Ehiogu seemed fairly intelligent footballers who I assumed would go on to management, similar attitude to Southgate etc..

I know Ugo is a football agent, but surprised that the other two never progressed.

David James is clearly intelligent, but has an ego problem of epic proportions, but the likes of Rio, Ashley Cole, Ledley King etc... you wouldn't expect to make good managers, in the same way as I don't expect Rooney, Terry or Peter Crouch to carve out a career in football management either.

Jermaine Jenas has really surprised me as a pundit on the BBC, seemed like one of those players who money was more important than playing, but clearly knows his stuff.

Ugo is Spurs U21 boss, doing a decent job and King is doing coaching as well - but as you say I can't see King as a manager

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Ugo is Spurs U21 boss, doing a decent job and King is doing coaching as well - but as you say I can't see King as a manager

Ugo also has his own music label and is a Patron of the Charity '' Happy Soul'' which helps people from Black and Ethnic communities with mental health problems. He is also one of the best Poker players I have ever seen, so he clearly has too much of a full life to devote 100% himself into managing a football club

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
The colour of a persons skin, much the same as their sexual preference, gender identity, religious affiliation etc does not bother me one bit when it comes to whether they can do a good job or not.

Barnes has shown in his previous clubs that he's just not that good at being a manager.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
One thing is for certain, both Barnes and Waddle should have been on the pitch not the bench against Argentina in that hand of God game. How on earth Trevor Stephen and someone else kept them out of the side just makes me shake my head. Perceived wisdom of the day was that they were both "luxury players". If they had been on from the start then we might have ran the entire game, not just the the last 15/20 minutes when Bobby Robson deemed to put them on. If that doesn't teach you to form your own view on things and not just take for granted the perceived wisdom of the day then nothing will. English football managers? On the whole they make me shake my head and wonder how they can still know so little about football despite it being all they have ever done.

Maybe I am confusing two points here, but you seem to be using Bobby Robson as an example of English Managers being a bit shite? If so, bad choice.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Ugo also has his own music label and is a Patron of the Charity '' Happy Soul'' which helps people from Black and Ethnic communities with mental health problems. He is also one of the best Poker players I have ever seen, so he clearly has too much of a full life to devote 100% himself into managing a football club
Why specifically black and ethnic minorities ? Why not just help everybody? Surely this is racist ?

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Chris Hughton seems to have made a decent career out of football management... maybe he's just good at it.

I hope so. :)
Disappointing to see Barnes using Race as an excuse, whilst there are many pink and more efficient managers not able to enjoy League management. He needs to start in the Ryman or Conference and get some success under his belt.

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
Every single one of those African nations with white coaches has a black president. In what sense could there possibly be racism at play in the decision making processes of those associations?

And unless I completely misunderstood you too, I didn't care for the implication of your original post.

apols for bumping this but i'm not here as often as i used to be....

black presidents? of the country or of the football associations? i have not researched this so stand to be corrected but i'm guessing that (yes, even in deepest darkest Africa) there are a number of white people in positions of power in these associations. also, do you think it's impossible for a black decision maker to believe that white coaches are (or are perceived to be) better than black ones? is that not still racism?

honestly not quite sure what you think the implication of my original post was....

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
The colour of a persons skin, much the same as their sexual preference, gender identity, religious affiliation etc does not bother me one bit when it comes to whether they can do a good job or not.

Barnes has shown in his previous clubs that he's just not that good at being a manager.

what about Ginger nuts?

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex

Very weird post.

Questioning Bobby Robson's tactics during Italia 90 in a thread about John Barnes? Aside from the fact that Bobby showed himself to be a good tactician who got the best out of Peter Beardsley, David Platt etc, I'm not sure playing two left footers on either wing would have been a great idea against the Germans. Or perhaps it was Paul Parker's fault for allowing Brehme's shot to deflect off him?

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
apols for bumping this but i'm not here as often as i used to be....

black presidents? of the country or of the football associations? i have not researched this so stand to be corrected but i'm guessing that (yes, even in deepest darkest Africa) there are a number of white people in positions of power in these associations. also, do you think it's impossible for a black decision maker to believe that white coaches are (or are perceived to be) better than black ones? is that not still racism?

honestly not quite sure what you think the implication of my original post was....

As someone with a joke picture of a child murdered by the Germans (Anne frank) as your avatar, you're hardly in a position to start moralising are you ?

Feb 14, 2010
Very weird post.

Questioning Bobby Robson's tactics during Italia 90 in a thread about John Barnes? Aside from the fact that Bobby showed himself to be a good tactician who got the best out of Peter Beardsley, David Platt etc, I'm not sure playing two left footers on either wing would have been a great idea against the Germans. Or perhaps it was Paul Parker's fault for allowing Brehme's shot to deflect off him?

Hand of God game when Robson left Barnes and Waddle on the bench until 20/30 minutes to go was in the 1980's. As for being a good tactician well you explain how an England manager thought that Trevor Stephen should have been on the pitch over Waddle or Barnes. As for two left footers on the pitch, well, firstly right footed players play on the left constantly and secondly, did you watch the last 15 minutes of that game? English football managers had it in their mind that Waddle and Barnes were a "luxury" and still some people have not worked out why England have won nothing since 1966. Now that is weird as for me its self evident - we had (still probably have in the lower leagues) English football managers who consider our best players a luxury. If Messi had been playing football in England during the 1980's then some genius of an English scout or manager would have said he was "too small" whilst someone like Mark Hateley "led the line" so that he could "get in there son" and do some "great knockdowns" and the like.

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
As someone with a joke picture of a child murdered by the Germans (Anne frank) as your avatar, you're hardly in a position to start moralising are you ?

so, which is it? you didn't read my post(s) or you don't know what the word 'moralising' means?

i may have a picture of Anne Frank (thanks for pointing out her name, i wasn't sure) as my avatar but you are a bit of a thicky (and,yes, i have dumbed-down my response with the audience in mind).

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Celtic lost at home against Inverness when they were a non league side at the time. Not the hallmarks of a good up and coming manager.

The Scottish game was a 2 horse race has now turned into show jumping exhibition.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here