Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

John Barnes

gordonchas

Jul 1, 2012
Regardless of Barnes' ability, or lack thereof, you can't deny that 6/92 non-White FL & PL managers is a massive disproportion. It's not necessarily the result of a glass ceiling but it certainly bears questioning.

Barnes is not the only black manager to say that his skin colour has hindered his career. It's difficult to really know what goes on in the wood panelled boardrooms of football clubs, maybe there is a sort of institutionalised racism operating within them. We all know it can be a pretty grubby business at times. I've always assumed that sackings and lack of opportunity were down to talent alone, perhaps I'm being naive.

Only 4 of the 16 coaches in the recent African Cup of Nations were black. What reason could there be for that, because it certainly wasn't racism?

Most people seem to assume that the UK exists in its own bubble whereas there are very few black coaches in professional football worldwide.

As an aside, mentioning the African Cup gives me the opportunity to mention once again the wonderfully named (white) coach of Burkina Faso - Paul Put. The rest writes itself...

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Regardless of Barnes' ability, or lack thereof, you can't deny that 6/92 non-White FL & PL managers is a massive disproportion. It's not necessarily the result of a glass ceiling but it certainly bears questioning.

Personally, I think there are two scenarios here:

Firstly, there are existing non-white managers that are just not very good managers (like Barnes or Ince) who don't get jobs because of their track record. That's understandable for me. I'd imagine there's a huge proportion of white managers that don't get jobs because they're not good managers also.

Secondly, there are the group of highly qualified, non-white coaches, assistant managers and unemployed staff that aren't given the chance. That is worrying. People like Chris Ramsay that have been in the game for years before getting a chance (and only a caretaker one at that)

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
That's above average pal when you look at black population stats....Hes talking shite like many and many no doubt are getting sick and tired of their shite.

Maybe he should Fack off to another country like Serbia and see how he gets on the ungrateful ****:censored:

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Anyone suggesting he got the sack because he wasn't a good soccerball manager is CLEARLY a racist. :moo:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I'm reasonably sure I stood next to John Barnes in a lift on Friday morning - the bloke looked like him, sounded like him, but I was pretending not to be impressed even if was him.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_who_have_qualified_for_the_UEFA_Pro_Licence

Not a complete list and plenty of unsuccessful managers on that list. The problem for me, is I can find no evidence that John Barnes has bothered with anything so mundane as a qualification. Having several high profile failures early in his career and having been told he had taken on too much too early, I kind of think this would have been an obvious route for him. I do believe that there is an element of racism in football management, that does limit the opportunities for black players moving into management. I don't think that the likes of Barnes and Ince however have been unduly affected by this. It is a very competitive field and you have to be stubborn and determined to come back from a serious knock back.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
There is a good reason they are not in management and some of the same colour are it is called ability nothing to do with colour. Brian Dean is doing well abroad and some club will bring him back home for a job soon.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Genuine question. What is the % of black people that attempt coaching qualifications?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
There is a good reason they are not in management and some of the same colour are it is called ability nothing to do with colour. Brian Dean is doing well abroad and some club will bring him back home for a job soon.

Im not disagreeing I honestly struggle to think of an ex black player who you would look at.

Henry
L. Ferdinand
C. Ramsey

If black players want management posisitons surely more players need to be guided towards coaching and push on in the lower leagues like hasslebank, poyet and Di Canio.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I don't think it is the colour of his skin, but without knowing the bloke that sacked him, I can't rule it out. If colour was a problem you would have thought he would not have got the job in the first place.

I have a few black friends, the ones that grew up in whiter areas and speak like anyone else in the south, don't seem to complain about encountering racism much, those that have grown up in blacker areas and speak a little differently seem to find it often.
I guess it is racism still, but the way they sound is something they could change, ya feel me?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Just been on 5 Live publicising his life story on ITV. Blames his colour for getting the sack. Host said "some would say it was because you were no good" to which John Barnes replied that if he was white he would have been given more time. He did well at Jamaica but at Tranmere he was sacked by the club six days after a 5–0 defeat at Millwall and a run of just two wins from eleven league games.
No doubting his footballing talent though.
I suspect he's a failure because he speaks too quickly for the players to grasp the point he's trying to get over!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here