Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Joe Mason and Lewis Grabban

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Do you not get the feeling that Grabban never had any intention of joining but was always happy to stay at Bournemouth? Maybe Albion activating his release clause was a godsend by enabling his agent to go back and say " well he's happy to stay as long as you match Brighton's offer". The Agent has done his client proud winkling a nice new contract out of the club where the player is settled anyway.

Indeed, especially as it's only a couple of months since he signed the last one! Two pay increases in two months, not bad.

Country Seagull

Jan 11, 2013
I still wonder if we did this very public ally in order to show other targets that we had options?

Think it was more his agent rather than the club that was making things public, including details of all those other clubs supposedly being interested in him but oddly never bidding.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Do you not get the feeling that Grabban never had any intention of joining but was always happy to stay at Bournemouth? Maybe Albion activating his release clause was a godsend by enabling his agent to go back and say " well he's happy to stay as long as you match Brighton's offer". The Agent has done his client proud winkling a nice new contract out of the club where the player is settled anyway.
I'm 100% conviced this was always the case, and him and his agent was just using us.

Two new contracts in two months!!!!

If I was working at the club, I'd offer £5million for him, offer him a £1m a year contract for 5 years, and just as he's about to sign it, tell him and his agent to **** off.

We dodged a bullet there.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Maybe, just maybe, Bournemouth offered him a decent wage increase, made him feel wanted (which, as we have found out with Ashley Barnes and Adam El Abd, is something footballers appreciate/need) and he was concerned he would not be first choice at the Albion?

It doesn't always have to be because a player or agent is an evil money-grabbing mercenary.

Maybe our wage offer wasn't any better than what he was already on? Maybe Bournemouth subsequently offered him a longer contract than we were?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Maybe, just maybe, Bournemouth offered him a decent wage increase, made him feel wanted (which, as we have found out with Ashley Barnes and Adam El Abd, is something footballers appreciate/need) and he was concerned he would not be first choice at the Albion?

It doesn't always have to be because a player or agent is an evil money-grabbing mercenary.

???

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Maybe our wage offer wasn't any better than what he was already on? Maybe Bournemouth subsequently offered him a longer contract than we were?

This would all be a reasonable post, had the player in question not signed his existing 3 year deal in NOVEMBER.

His agent did a pretty shit job of negotiating that one, tbh, if seemingly, the market rate for his player's wage should have been significantly better.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
This would all be a reasonable post, had the player in question not signed his existing 3 year deal in NOVEMBER.

His agent did a pretty shit job of negotiating that one, tbh, if seemingly, the market rate for his player's wage should have been significantly better.

The thing is, none of us know the ins and outs of this.

It could be that Bournemouth offered him a modest increase in return for removing the release clause from his existing contract to prevent any other clubs potentially turning his head. Would make sense given rumoured interest from QPR and Reading.

Maybe Grabban - with the release clause activate - thought he would speak to the Albion and see what was on offer. Maybe the wage offer from Brighton was not much different and that, given the fact he was unlikely to be first choice at Brighton, he took a couple of days to think about it - which would be sensible - and in that time Bournemouth offered him the improved deal, made a fuss of him and that made his mind up. We have seen from El Abd and Barnes the importance some players place on just, well, feeling wanted.

What I don't understand is how - not knowing exactly what went on - so many supporters can suddenly dismiss him as a greedy, money-grabbing football mercenary who never had any intention of joining us and who, well, wasn't that great anyway. Just seems a little bitter.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
The thing is, none of us know the ins and outs of this.

It could be that Bournemouth offered him a modest increase in return for removing the release clause from his existing contract to prevent any other clubs potentially turning his head. Would make sense given rumoured interest from QPR and Reading.

Maybe Grabban - with the release clause activate - thought he would speak to the Albion and see what was on offer. Maybe the wage offer from Brighton was not much different and that, given the fact he was unlikely to be first choice at Brighton, he took a couple of days to think about it - which would be sensible - and in that time Bournemouth offered him the improved deal, made a fuss of him and that made his mind up. We have seen from El Abd and Barnes the importance some players place on just, well, feeling wanted.

What I don't understand is how - not knowing exactly what went on - so many supporters can suddenly dismiss him as a greedy, money-grabbing football mercenary who never had any intention of joining us and who, well, wasn't that great anyway. Just seems a little bitter.

Excellent post.

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
Good post, but doubt we will ever know the full story. Lets move on, cup game this weekend a welcome break and then tough games at Burnley and Watford. Get Buckley and Lua Lua back and i feel confident of getting a result or 2.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Would make sense given rumoured interest from QPR and Reading.

When you actually think about it , why would QPR show interest in a player like Grabban when Harry wants to spend millions and millions ? I think the agent has been doing a lot of s**t stirring and starting off the rumour mill.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Yes - We feel happy that we have retained our player - but we all know the real winner..Grabban's agent. Pretty good at his 'job' it seems!

Never trust a Nigel :wink:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I don't get some people on here. If someone came and offered you a job elsewhere for a higher salary, you would be stupid not to talk to them. If it was a good offer then despite you thinking you were happy where you are your head might be turned. However, you tell you current employers that you are going and they say wait a minute, give us a chance to see what we can do and they come up with more money than your new offer then maybe you think I'll stay were I am. Certainly happened to me in the wonderful world of insurance, the difference being the size of the deals being discussed and the fact there was, not surprisingly, no press coverage of my employment situation!

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Yes - We feel happy that we have retained our player - but we all know the real winner..Grabban's agent. Pretty good at his 'job' it seems!

Indeed, to be fair he must be good at his job if he can get Graaban 2 new contracts in half a season!

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

Dead right there. I hope you don't come to regret it - I really don't because I respect Bournemouth as a club. I was in the underwhelmed camp with Grabban. I don't think he's done much to justify the price tag or his improved deal. I'd expect more than bagging 3 penalties and 3 goals from open play in the next 3 months.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Maybe we offered Barnes what he was worth as an average Championship striker?
Maybe we respected AEA's wishes to play first-team football, because he was never going to be better than 3rd choice here?
Maybe we offered Grabban what we judged him to be worth as a reasonable replacement for Ash, and maybe Bournemouth matched that offer (I agree that he has a better chance of being first choice at Bournemouth)?

We can all play the 'maybe' game, but I prefer to think our club are making the correct decisions in all 3 cases.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Maybe we offered Barnes what he was worth as an average Championship striker?
Maybe we respected AEA's wishes to play first-team football, because he was never going to be better than 3rd choice here?
Maybe we offered Grabban what we judged him to be worth as a reasonable replacement for Ash, and maybe Bournemouth matched that offer (I agree that he has a better chance of being first choice at Bournemouth)?

We can all play the 'maybe' game, but I prefer to think our club are making the correct decisions in all 3 cases.

I wasn't saying the Albion hadn't been correct in all three decisions. I think they have been.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here