Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Joe Lycett to shred £10k if Becks continues his World Cup promotion...

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I’ll answer this. David Beckham’s appeal to advertisers is that he has high levels of appeal to both straight and gay communities, he has historically been seen as an ally. So, DB taking the Qatari money alienates a significant proportion of those who have previously seen him as a positive influence.

The impact will not be felt in Beckham’s current contracts where he’s already been paid, but marketing agencies and brands looking for a figure with broad appeal across both gay and straight audiences will now be looking elsewhere. He’s blotted his copybook as far as the gay community are concerned, and that reduces his market value. There will be a lot of people within the gay community who have actively contributed to his success, and they may be less keen to assist him in the future.
I couldn't disagree more. I really don't think any company or brand who wanted to work with Beckham before will be thinking twice now. Time will tell, but I don't believe he's been damaged by this at all.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
I couldn't disagree more. I really don't think any company or brand who wanted to work with Beckham before will be thinking twice now. Time will tell, but I don't believe he's been damaged by this at all.
I think you underestimate how carefully brands try to position themselves for maximum appeal for their spend. Especially in the US where brands seem hypersensitive to this stuff, this will affect the projects he’s chosen for.

I’m sure he’s not unemployable and will continue to earn, but the offers may not be quite as plentiful and lucrative as they were previously.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Your anti-lycett posts previously seem to suggest that you are 'taking sides' in this when in actual fact it is very possible to dislike Joe Lycett (as you and many others do) but also acknowledge that some people will be disappointed in the actions of Beckham. They aren't mutually exclusive.

I can't stand Piers Morgan. I once agreed with his view on how the Covid pandemic was being handled. It's possible

The truth is, advertisers wont announce that they were thinking of Beckham but have changed their mind so we will never know who has been impacted in their decision making, and he is certainly not going to be looking down the back of his sofa for loose change. So in a few months time you could sit back and say "see, I told you he wasn't affected. He is still loaded and these brands are working with him". But from posts here and several other outlets it is obviously clear that this has impacted many peoples view of him and his pretty bonkers decision. If your barometer of 'affected' is 'will he struggle financially' then no, he won't. But sometimes things come above how much money someone is making.

Seems a lovely bloke and a brilliant footballer, but this was a silly choice to make. I'm not sure why you feel so obliged to stand up for Brand Beckham other than (as I suspect) because it was instigated by someone you clearly dislike.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
the plot went that way, syd 👉

if you wait here long enough, it might come back :trossard:
yeah , about 3 weeks ago , having seen him on 8 out of 10 cats i suppose i have to concede that he is amusing ......nobody seems to be bagging Pirlo for promoting Qatar , perhaps some Italian comedians are.:shrug:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
You got upset about something, I think that's the point :shrug:
Sydney wanted the thread – y'know, this one, that they have contributed a good few posts to – removed:

'please bin this thread ....f***ing cringeworthy , rainbow planes , unfunny comedians and all the virtuous bollox its stirred up are embarrassing to say the least ....ffs'

Not only that, but Sydney has also seemingly changed their opinion of JL from 'unfunny' to 'amusing'. That's quite the u-turn...

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Your anti-lycett posts previously seem to suggest that you are 'taking sides' in this when in actual fact it is very possible to dislike Joe Lycett (as you and many others do) but also acknowledge that some people will be disappointed in the actions of Beckham. They aren't mutually exclusive.

I can't stand Piers Morgan. I once agreed with his view on how the Covid pandemic was being handled. It's possible

The truth is, advertisers wont announce that they were thinking of Beckham but have changed their mind so we will never know who has been impacted in their decision making, and he is certainly not going to be looking down the back of his sofa for loose change. So in a few months time you could sit back and say "see, I told you he wasn't affected. He is still loaded and these brands are working with him". But from posts here and several other outlets it is obviously clear that this has impacted many peoples view of him and his pretty bonkers decision. If your barometer of 'affected' is 'will he struggle financially' then no, he won't. But sometimes things come above how much money someone is making.

Seems a lovely bloke and a brilliant footballer, but this was a silly choice to make. I'm not sure why you feel so obliged to stand up for Brand Beckham other than (as I suspect) because it was instigated by someone you clearly dislike.
To be clear, I've responded to a thread about this guy. I thought nothing of him before, although I did think his Hugo Boss stunt was stupid so it very much seems to me that this is what he does. Makes some point in a massively self-advertising kind of way. I wouldn't take a moment to watch anything he does, he doesn't seem the sort of person I want to pay any attention to. Piers Morgan is a good example and, like you, I also agreed with comments he made about the handling of Covid but disagree with pretty much everything else that self-serving tosser says. I would put Lycett in the same basket with Morgan.

I don't feel any obligation to stand up for Brand Beckham, the last thing he needs is anyone standing up for him. He's fine and clearly will be, we don't need to worry about Beckham and I'm sure he isn't worried in the slightest about silly stunts which were surprisingly well covered in the media. I give full credit to Lycett for getting such attention, which was clearly his aim.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
To be clear, I've responded to a thread about this guy. I thought nothing of him before, although I did think his Hugo Boss stunt was stupid so it very much seems to me that this is what he does. Makes some point in a massively self-advertising kind of way. I wouldn't take a moment to watch anything he does, he doesn't seem the sort of person I want to pay any attention to. Piers Morgan is a good example and, like you, I also agreed with comments he made about the handling of Covid but disagree with pretty much everything else that self-serving tosser says. I would put Lycett in the same basket with Morgan.

I don't feel any obligation to stand up for Brand Beckham, the last thing he needs is anyone standing up for him. He's fine and clearly will be, we don't need to worry about Beckham and I'm sure he isn't worried in the slightest about silly stunts which were surprisingly well covered in the media. I give full credit to Lycett for getting such attention, which was clearly his aim.
Why do you think the Hugo Boss stunt was stupid?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Sydney wanted the thread – y'know, this one, that they have contributed a good few posts to – removed:

'please bin this thread ....f***ing cringeworthy , rainbow planes , unfunny comedians and all the virtuous bollox its stirred up are embarrassing to say the least ....ffs'

Not only that, but Sydney has also seemingly changed their opinion of JL from 'unfunny' to 'amusing'. That's quite the u-turn...
So at the pointy end of the "fifa world cup" has he actually achieved anything other than promote himself , he's achieved bugger all in Qatar who are now pushing heavily to be awarded the Olympics in the near future , i didn't find his funny letters and social media stunts funny really but now , as a result of this thread i have looked him up and am prepared to admit that he is quite funny ......so there you go , job done on me too JL .....bravo sausage.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
So at the pointy end of the "fifa world cup" has he actually achieved anything other than promote himself , he's achieved bugger all in Qatar who are now pushing heavily to be awarded the Olympics in the near future , i didn't find his funny letters and social media stunts funny really but now , as a result of this thread i have looked him up and am prepared to admit that he is quite funny ......so there you go , job done on me too JL .....bravo sausage.
Jobs a good un then really. A bit of extra exposure from himself. Highlighting the hypocrisy of Beckham and making him look a bit of a shallow money grabbing tit and he has partially convinced you that he is 'quite funny'.

Not a bad set of outcomes for a couple of hours working on a silly stunt.

I think that the expectation to change anything in Qatar is a bit ambitious and probably not in his thinking at the time.

Oh I forgot, it also got people talking about stuff.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Jobs a good un then really. A bit of extra exposure from himself. Highlighting the hypocrisy of Beckham and making him look a bit of a shallow money grabbing tit and he has partially convinced you that he is 'quite funny'.

Not a bad set of outcomes for a couple of hours working on a silly stunt.

I think that the expectation to change anything in Qatar is a bit ambitious and probably not in his thinking at the time.

Oh I forgot, it also got people talking about stuff.
It might also possibly make the next celeb offered loadsamoney to sell out to the Qataris think twice , it may even make the average Joe (sorry for the pun) revisit DBs poor decision to turn his back (no pun intended) on the very community he pledged to stand by .

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
:shrug:

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Watched his show last night. What a load of crap. He has just used David Beckham to promote himself and his show

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here