Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Joe Lycett to shred £10k if Becks continues his World Cup promotion...

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
surely we are just debating , expressing your opinion is not getting upset , you youngsters need to realise this , we can have juxtopositional opinions and still debate without losing yer rag.
Fair does old timer, I always keep me rag in me safe space

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
So it turns out Lycett himself did a mini tour of shows in Qatar and other gulf states in 2015.

:facepalm:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
So it turns out Lycett himself did a mini tour of shows in Qatar and other gulf states in 2015.

He wasn't paid by the government there though. And he's always been open about it. Also, being gay, there would have been a very Lycett irony in what he did.

I like the way he has turned it round on The Sun.

I like Lycett, he doesn't give a shit, but he makes a difference.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
He wasn't paid by the government there though. And he's always been open about it. Also, being gay, there would have been a very Lycett irony in what he did.

I think he hasn’t come out of it that well from mine and a few friends perspectives.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

I like Lycett, he doesn't give a shit, but he makes a difference.
Really old news. Just desperate Whataboutary from the Murdoch press

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Watched his show last night. What a load of crap. He has just used David Beckham to promote himself and his show
Not as bad as Beckham thinking the £120m he got was for being an ambassador for this. There’s thick and there’s David. :facepalm:

44412D44-5C57-4E84-85B3-86D6A4DCADCA.jpeg
44412D44-5C57-4E84-85B3-86D6A4DCADCA.jpeg

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

That he talks about in interviews and even mentions in a book. It's not like he denied it ever happened. Massive difference between doing a few comedy show for a UK promoter that happen to be in Qatar and accepting millions of pounds to be a puppet of a corrupt regime.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Really old news. Just desperate Whataboutary from the Murdoch press
Well it’s not “whataboutery” because it happened. I’m all for learning new phrases and keeping up with the zeitgeist, but this is just incorrect usage.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
That he talks about in interviews and even mentions in a book. It's not like he denied it ever happened. Massive difference between doing a few comedy show for a UK promoter that happen to be in Qatar and accepting millions of pounds to be a puppet of a corrupt regime.
Well, the difference being that had he been paid millions of pounds he would’ve accepted, and none of this would ever have happened. The idea of Lycett’s protest wasn’t about solely the money, but the idea of performing in/showing support for Qatar at all. Something he himself did, for profit (it wasn’t a charitable event or to raise awareness) and a free holiday.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Well it’s not “whataboutery” because it happened. I’m all for learning new phrases and keeping up with the zeitgeist, but this is just incorrect usage.
It is 100% whataboutery. Whataboutery is all about getting people to look elsewhere, and conflating two things are equal that are nowhere near equal.

What Lycett did and what Beckham did were absolutely lightyears apart, both in scope and intent. Surely you can see that?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Well, the difference being that had he been paid millions of pounds he would’ve accepted, and none of this would ever have happened. The idea of Lycett’s protest wasn’t about solely the money, but the idea of performing in/showing support for Qatar at all. Something he himself did, for profit (it wasn’t a charitable event or to raise awareness) and a free holiday.
Where did he show support for Qatar? He happened to perform a gig that took place in that country, he didn't produce promotional videos, paid for by the government, praising the country for being wonderful. It's a complete non story.

It's a bit like someone saying we can't be critical of Qatar because we are celebrating Alexis winning the world cup there.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
It is 100% whataboutery. Whataboutery is all about getting people to look elsewhere, and conflating two things are equal that are nowhere near equal.

What Lycett did and what Beckham did were absolutely lightyears apart, both in scope and intent. Surely you can see that?
No, I can’t see that.

I see that in 2022 opinions have shifted dramatically on this issue. The commissioning of a (for profit) television programme along with media exposure for Lycett, has made his stance entirely hypocritical regardless of his prior performances in Qatar.

If Lycett had said he deeply regrets his appearances, issued a full apology and didn’t make a penny out of this I would feel differently.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Where did he show support for Qatar? He happened to perform a gig that took place in that country, he didn't produce promotional videos, paid for by the government, praising the country for being wonderful. It's a complete non story.

It's a bit like someone saying we can't be critical of Qatar because we are celebrating Alexis winning the world cup there.
If he was so critical of Qatar that he should create, in his own words, a “press stunt” to draw attention to Beckham, he obviously feels strongly about being anti-Qatar.

But not so anti-Qatar that he would perform there previously. And keep the money he earned performing gigs in a country he so detests. It’s hypocrisy, plain and simple.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Just remind again of how make Becks is taking from the Qatari's again to try and clean up their image, the low estimate will do...

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Genuinely hilarious that some people think something someone has talked about a fair bit is somehow a "gotcha" moment

Smirko

Aug 19, 2011
Brighton
Classic example of someone preaching about something, then gets caught doing the same thing and tries to justify it and deflect attention with a 'statement' picking on the usual targets to satisfy his target audience. See it so many times, especially from those on the 'left' of society/views etc.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
No, I can’t see that.

I see that in 2022 opinions have shifted dramatically on this issue. The commissioning of a (for profit) television programme along with media exposure for Lycett, has made his stance entirely hypocritical regardless of his prior performances in Qatar.

If Lycett had said he deeply regrets his appearances, issued a full apology and didn’t make a penny out of this I would feel differently.
But what he did and what Beckham has done are two entirely different things that aren't worthy of comparison.

I assume given your existence in England, you support the Iraq war and the bombing of innocents? Exactly - a ridiculous comparison.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Classic example of someone preaching about something, then gets caught doing the same thing and tries to justify it and deflect attention with a 'statement' picking on the usual targets to satisfy his target audience. See it so many times, especially from those on the 'left' of society/views etc.
"caught doing the same thing" - what do you mean? Joe Lycett isn't an ambassador for Qatar?!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here