Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Joe Lycett to shred £10k if Becks continues his World Cup promotion...

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Sorry but sometimes when the sky is blue it doesn't help anyone to call it red.

OK let's try to drag it back up again.

A comedian being paid a small amount by a private company is not the same as someone being paid millions by a government to be a global ambassador for that country and everything it represents. SURELY we can find common ground on that?!
Interestingly, the Qatar authorities are a bit peed off with Beckham's performance on their behalf as a sporting ambassador.

I don't think they realised that he does not tend to do forthright public speaking, just nice clothes and smiles.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Agree.

Good on him that he can go to Qatar and do shows, keep the money and be completely immune to criticism, with people doing their utmost to find angles that makes it ok for him to go and do shows ("it happened to be in Qatar", "getting money from some British promoter getting money from the Qatar state IS SO MUCH DIFFERENT from getting money directly from the Qatari state", "BUT... BUT.. he didn't promote the big sandy deserts! He just came there and... um... made money."
If you think stating straightforward facts is somebody doing their utmost do defend the indefensible, you clearly haven't read enough of [insert obvious poster's name here] on the political threads.
Very convenient. Bloke is laughing all the way to the bank while getting pets on the back for sort of being a victim of David Beckhams cynical business decisions.
He really isn't getting praised for being the victim. I'd say "victim" is almost the last word that comes to mind if I were to try and describe Lycett.
Frankly, if he'd somehow contrived to come up with a protest praising Beckham/Qatar that the same people were supporting, I'd expect you to criticise him just as much, because you're the sort of person who gets more hung up on perceived hypocrisy and being contrary than on actually being in the right.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
If you think stating straightforward facts is somebody doing their utmost do defend the indefensible, you clearly haven't read enough of [insert obvious poster's name here] on the political threads.

He really isn't getting praised for being the victim. I'd say "victim" is almost the last word that comes to mind if I were to try and describe Lycett.
Frankly, if he'd somehow contrived to come up with a protest praising Beckham/Qatar that the same people were supporting, I'd expect you to criticise him just as much, because you're the sort of person who gets more hung up on perceived hypocrisy and being contrary than on actually being in the right.
If this was Boris Johnson going down to Qatar and making a shit load of money participating in some freakshow or something and then criticising David Beckham for doing the same thing, people would have an entirely different view than that this hypocrisy, which is really maximum level of hypocrisy, is something to just shrug at.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
If this was Boris Johnson going down to Qatar and making a shit load of money participating in some freakshow or something and then criticising David Beckham for doing the same thing, people would have an entirely different view than that this hypocrisy, which is really maximum level of hypocrisy, is something to just shrug at.
Whether that would be hypocrisy on Johnson's part would depend on whether he was being paid by the Qatari government to participate in said freakshow in order to make them look good.
In any case, even if he was being a hypocrite, it wouldn't invalidate the criticism.
The fact that you've thrown up that as a counter argument rather illustrates my point. You are, essentially, amoral.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Whether that would be hypocrisy on Johnson's part would depend on whether he was being paid by the Qatari government to participate in said freakshow in order to make them look good.
In any case, even if he was being a hypocrite, it wouldn't invalidate the criticism.
The fact that you've thrown up that as a counter argument rather illustrates my point. You are, essentially, amoral.
Of course it wouldn't invalidate his criticism. That David Beckham is a greedy **** is beyond clear and there's no need to argue about it, hence not mentioning it.

Perhaps I'm amoral, don't think it is any worse than being moral only when it fits your own needs. Fact is that both of these have showed that they're willing to do their respective thing for Qatari money but one of the two are better at playing the PR game in their home country than the other is, hence just one of them getting condemned.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Of course it wouldn't invalidate his criticism. That David Beckham is a greedy **** is beyond clear and there's no need to argue about it, hence not mentioning it.

Perhaps I'm amoral, don't think it is any worse than being moral only when it fits your own needs. Fact is that both of these have showed that they're willing to do their respective thing for Qatari money but one of the two are better at playing the PR game in their home country than the other is, hence just one of them getting condemned.
Yes, Beckham's bad at playing the PR game. Obviously.
Christ, he's not even trying anymore.
And you know Lycett wasn't working for Qatari money. It's literally written several times above this on the thread.
You want to be contrary and interesting, try harder.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Yes, Beckham's bad at playing the PR game. Obviously.
Christ, he's not even trying anymore.
And you know Lycett wasn't working for Qatari money. It's literally written several times above this on the thread.
You want to be contrary and interesting, try harder.
Well he is bad at it in the sense that he doesn't give a shit what people in England think because there's not where he can find money... unlike the Joe bloke who has to play you guys - and obviously getting away with it.

Of course he was working for Qatari money. The show was in Qatar, a dictatorship. That some middle hand washed the money for him doesn't mean it isn't Qatari money.

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
Interestingly, the Qatar authorities are a bit peed off with Beckham's performance on their behalf as a sporting ambassador.

I don't think they realised that he does not tend to do forthright public speaking, just nice clothes and smiles.

I was thinking earlier that it is kind of weird that the only reason I know that Beckham was a sporting ambassador or was paid by Qatar, was because of the Joe Lycett stunt.

I never saw Beckham do anything to promote Qatar during the World Cup and barring seeing his face in the crowd twice, didn’t see or hear about him at all. Lycett gave him more publicity than he earnt for himself.

Whilst clearly what Beckham was paid for and what Lycett was paid for are different things, the majority of comedians aren’t going and doing tours in places like Qatar. It is not a necessity for a comedian to be touring there.

Lycett is an idiot if he really can’t see that this does undermine his point, because his problem with Beckham was the country he was promoting, not just the fact he was promoting them. Either you are ok with people going there, working and spending money from there, fundamentally working in that country or you aren’t. It’s hypocritical to say “It’s fine to be paid to stay and work there but terrible to get paid to say anything nice about them”.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Well he is bad at it in the sense that he doesn't give a shit what people in England think because there's not where he can find money... unlike the Joe bloke who has to play you guys - and obviously getting away with it.

Of course he was working for Qatari money. The show was in Qatar, a dictatorship. That some middle hand washed the money for him doesn't mean it isn't Qatari money.
Lycett was not deliberately working in Qatar to improve the image of the country. That may well be the effect, and indirectly that is obviously how it works, but it doesn't reflect on his motives for working there.
And again, even if he had, it wouldn't matter. Whether somebody is being a hypocrite does not alter whether they are right or not. Some of the most effective anti-racism campaigners and activitsts have previously been active racists/fascists who changed their mind.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Lycett is just getting on my nerves now. Comedicly I found him funny. Current affairs and politics are somewhat beyond him. Now I can't watch him do either.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Just remind again of how make Becks is taking from the Qatari's again to try and clean up their image, the low estimate will do...
have you watch FIFA Uncovered ....??? odious bunch of money grabbing pricks they are , them and the Qatari's make great bed fellows , Beckham has been an ambassador for football for years , he was the figurehead along with Prince William for Great Britains failed bid when Russia won it ......it's all corrupt and now it's all been proven beyond reasonable doubt Blatter , Havelange, Blazer and Warner all corrupt , rinsing the pot for years .

your anger at Beckham is misplaced , many other international stars have jumped on board.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Lycett is just getting on my nerves now. Comedicly I found him funny. Current affairs and politics are somewhat beyond him. Now I can't watch him do either.
I have always found him to be a self-satisfied little dingus. While his cause his worthy, I find his manner irritating.

Also, has his big hue and cry about this 10k that wasn’t shredded drawn that much attention outside of a forum here and there?

Appears to me he’s gone to the effort of slaughtering a pig only to find that nobody wanted bacon.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Genuinely hilarious that some people think something someone has talked about a fair bit is somehow a "gotcha" moment
Remember we live in a country where the leading right wing tabloid ran a non story about Starmer having a beer 11 days running, then tried to equate it to it to a law breaking liar of a PM that was turfed out of office by his own party.

Welcome to our ridiculous press

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Do you just randomly pluck stupid points for the sake of an argument or do you actually believe this crap? Pity your hiatus wasn’t a bit longer.

It never takes you long to start up with your trolling.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Classic example of someone preaching about something, then gets caught doing the same thing and tries to justify it and deflect attention with a 'statement' picking on the usual targets to satisfy his target audience. See it so many times, especially from those on the 'left' of society/views etc.
and of course, from the right, well, mainly the right, especially the extremists, truss, rees mogg, etc

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here