• Calling it for Biden

Votes: 180 69.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Trump needs to lose very narrowly (like Gore-Bush) for that to have any chance of working.

I think you'll find the margin of error doesn't have to be that narrow.

Sure if he's absolutely battered then it's over, but there really doesn't have to be that much wriggle room for the Republicans to exploit their way to 'victory'.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think you'll find the margin of error doesn't have to be that narrow.

Sure if he's absolutely battered then it's over, but there really doesn't have to be that much wriggle room for the Republicans to exploit their way to 'victory'.

What precedent have you seen that makes you believe that?

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα

You'll be hard pressed to find another election like this one. Which makes a precedent hard to find too. Postal voting and delayed counting could have a huge impact on how the result (and possible shenanigans) plays out.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Because for the last 10+ years the Republican led senate have been stacking the district judiciary with hard line Republican judges.
Now, in the most underhand way possible they've (even to their surprise) stacked The Supreme Court in their favour.

They have spent 3 years discrediting mail in ballots.
Underfunded the USPS.
Removed sorting machines.
Have restricted drop box availability.
Gerrymandered districts. (not something the Democrats can claim the moral high ground on)
&
Altered the process by which votes are deemed legitimate.

It doesn't have to be "very narrow" for a Republican lead state judiciary & Supreme Court to overturn this election by altering the validity of votes cast, in good faith.

That's how.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Because for the last 10+ years the Republican led senate have been stacking the district judiciary with hard line Republican judges.
Now, in the most underhand way possible they've (even to their surprise) stacked The Supreme Court in their favour.

Underfunded the USPS.
Gerrymandered districts. (not something the Democrats can claim the moral high ground on)
&

It doesn't have to be "very narrow" for a Republican lead state judiciary & Supreme Court to overturn this election by altering the validity of votes cast, in good faith.

That's how.

Really does feel like US democracy is in the last chance saloon. If Trump wins he will feel completely vindicated and will complete the job of burning down the house

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Underfunded the USPS.
&

That's how.

I'm aware of all of that - of course the GOP are doing everything they can to cling to power, and Trump is doing everything he can to avoid spending his final years endlessly in the courts.

However, I really do believe it only looks even vaguely viable as an option if it's a pretty close count. They can't throw MILLIONS of votes out across multiple states.

That just isn't happening.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Really does feel like US democracy is in the last chance saloon. If Trump wins he will feel completely vindicated and will complete the job of burning down the house

It feels like if this election were being played out in South Sudan the UN would be monitoring and giving the result a side eye, at best.

It's why the Democrats are imploring everyone to vote.

Because not every vote will count so they have to get enough support to cover the losses that will be taken from them.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm aware of all of that - of course the GOP are doing everything they can to cling to power, and Trump is doing everything he can to avoid spending his final years endlessly in the courts.

However, I really do believe it only looks even vaguely viable as an option if it's a pretty close count. They can't throw MILLIONS of votes out across multiple states.

That just isn't happening.

That's where we differ.
I think you're probably right - but amazingly there's no way I'm going to say you will be right.

There's even a precedent for this when Al Gore had Florida and the election taken away from him, without the infrastructure in place to make that happen.

It sure as hell is in place now.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
That's where we differ.
I think you're probably right - but amazingly there's no way I'm going to say you will be right.

There's even a precedent for this when Al Gore had Florida and the election taken away from him, without the infrastructure in place to make that happen.

It sure as hell is in place now.

I literally referred to Gore-Bush earlier in this thread as an example where it could happen - the vote was very, very close in that instance - 327 votes was Bush's lead.

Perhaps we have differing views of what close means?

I understand your apprehension, I really do. I'm just a natural optimist, I suppose.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Trump needs to lose very narrowly (like Gore-Bush) for that to have any chance of working.

i think people are overplaying the legal route. Hillary conceded with some key states a few 10k votes in it, i dont recall a suggestion of legal then.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
You can get Sleepy Joe for 1.63 on the exchanges. That is crazy, given his national ratings and even though it may be closer in some swing states, his implied chance would be more like 85-90% (more like 1.1-1.15 on exchanges.

Fill. Your. Boots.

Someone with big boots took your advice...

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/11/02/business/us-presidential-election-million-pound-bet/index.html

Biden.jpg

I had a wee flutter on Biden at 10/11 back in June

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I have no time for Donald Trump or the rhetoric he uses.

However I can't help but laugh every time I hear him use the Term " Sleepy Joe ". I find it really funny and reminds me of something you might hear in a 1940s Cowboy Film.

So come on "Sleepy Joe". Gun Down " Trigger Happy Trump " and put him in a Wooden Overcoat in Boot Hill Cemetery after tonight. ��

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Funnily enough, I checked the Betfair odds a short while ago and was surprised to see that Biden had lengthened a bit.

I've just got this horrible feeling that it won't play out as most of us (well, the sane and rational) ones would like to think.

Betfair is mental. Last night I saw 2 separate bets go on Trump for £1 million and £2 million respectively. I've no idea what the angle is. Possible it is manipulating the markets to make Trumps chances seemingly more credible & therefore encourage voters or some sort or shorting stock / Trump winning arb that I've yet to figure out. Every time Trumps price hits 3.0, it gets smashed. The market was worth £264 million and that was before the £2 mill went on.

Crodo is right. Biden should be a maximum of 1.2 and is possibly the best value bet of our lifetime according to all the - reputable - polling. I've largely kept my powder dry as something is at play here which I don't understand and that makes me nervous.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Biden will win in a landslide IMO. Democrats have been preparing this for four years there is a 0% chance they allow another loss on their record this year.

Pros of a Trump win:

- Funny
- You get to see people cry like their team got relegated on a sunny April afternoon
- It might lead to the emergence of a real third party and/or a new set of decent politicians that aren't old guard bellends like Joe

Cons of a Trump win:

- Cities burn
- 4 more years of the media never shutting the **** up
- Possibility of a full on civil war

Pros of a Biden win:

- The media finally shuts the **** up and we can have some peace and quiet
- The US is not a TOTAL laughing stock to the rest of the world (still mostly is though)
- People might actually listen to their president now to help stem the Covid-19 tide

Cons of a Biden win:

- Democrats prove that there is no need for any change in government, they won, and they will continue to rest on their laurels
- Could lead to the rise of a legit fascist third party/repub leader in 4 years
- I can 100% see them doing nothing good for change, even if they sweep house/senate and whitehouse.

All of this just IMO of course.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here