The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Have i? news to me

Ah yes, my mistake. I can now see that you have a completely open mind to his abilities:-

Based on what? He couldn't even break into Brentford's team.

… and so we should setting our standards much higher than players who have hardly kicked a ball to date.

He was on loan to Brentford :lolol: Hardly a catch is it?

The most important stat is the 3 subs appearances by the age of 21.

He did nothing at Brentford. At least someone like Bamford made a name for himself and he is younger.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
All facts isn't it? What are you disputing?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
All facts isn't it? What are you disputing?

The facts are not in dispute; it is the manner in which you have interpreted them.

Ultimately, the only thing that matters is what he can contribute to the Albion this season.

I have never seen him play, and so I will reserve judgement until I HAVE. I am, though, encouraged by a lot of what I have heard about him today.

I couldn't care less what his background is, or what he has done (or not done) in the past, if he can have a positive impact on our season.

Still, I interrupted you: feel free to get back to your overweening negativity.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
The facts are not in dispute; it is the manner in which you have interpreted them.

Ultimately, the only thing that matters is what he can contribute to the Albion this season.

I have never seen him play, and so I will reserve judgement until I HAVE. I am, though, encouraged by a lot of what I have heard about him today.

I couldn't care less what his background is, or what he has done (or not done) in the past, if he can have a positive impact on our season.

Still, I interrupted you: feel free to get back to your overweening negativity.

So you are basically encouraged by what you read from posters/articles/snippets etc? Easily pleased springs to mind fella. You would rather dismiss facts that have been presented to you? I mean two sub appearances and called back by Liverpool? Or a solitary sub appearance for them at 21 years of age?
Forgive me for not getting excited like you. You see my view as negative fair enough. I see it as being realistic. Of course i want him to be a hit even if it's not want you want me to write. I just can't get aroused by this type of signing like yourself.

Last edited:

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
So you are basically encouraged by what you read from posters/articles/snippets etc? Easily pleased spring to mind fella. You would rather dismiss facts that have been presented to you? I mean two sub appearances and called back by Liverpool? Or a solitary sub appearance for them at 21 years of age?
Forgive me for not getting excited like you. You see my view as negative fair enough. I see it as being realistic. Of course i want him to be a hit even if it's not want you want me to write. I just can't get aroused by this type of signing like yourself.

What sh*t.

On that basis, what are YOU basing your "facts" on? Out of interest.

You played that card but you have nothing, absolutely nothing to base it on.

You have effectively cancelled out your own logic

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
A Liverpool fan, who has seen him play, rates him. That's good enough for me until I see him play myself.

He now wears the stripes and deserves our support as does every player who pulls on the shirt.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
2 Liverpool fans I know think he is quality. Hope they are right.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
The Rodney Thomas of the Amex?

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
have we ever signed a portuguese player before?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I think this reaction is more about the current apprehension regarding our squad rebuilding in general than the player himself. Two years ago the reaction would have been 20 pages of 'Flair!'

How very perceptive. I think you're right.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
Happy with the signing - could deliver the creativity we so desperately need.
If it's not working though, hope we have the balls to admit it and stop picking him / send him back (unless the only alternative is playing Kemmy of course...).

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Can we transfer [MENTION=4317]algie[/MENTION] out please? Every thing you say is negative and against the club. Are you like this in life when other things don't go how YOU want them too? Yes we are all a bit p*ssed off with transfer activity but god, you take it to another level. Have you ever been happy?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
We are scratching about signing unproven kids while teams in our league are signings players like Clayton,Thorne,Callum Wilson etc. Quite frankly it's appalling.

We've so far signed a mix of players not "unproven kids". Although unlike some clubs we have several highly rated U21 internationals on long new contracts who we've brought through to our first XI...
But so far our signings include A proven championship squad striker, an experienced prem league CB, a young prem league GK, a tier 1 Defensive MF, and now a highly rated MF on loan from Prem league team who nearly won league. None of these players might work out but even compared to 2011/12 business or 12/13 summer window still on paper at least a real advance in terms of pedigree or experience. Always with exception of Vicente. But he will always be a one off (gamble of taking on a highly skilled/volatile/injury prone international that others weren't prepared to go for)

As for JCT All champ clubs will have a loanee or two this season. That's just commonplace now and there's real competition for the youngsters from the top 4 clubs especially for a season long loan deal. We did it with Lingard last year who in 15 games (we lost only 3) helped us into the play offs. This might be a repeat.

This isn't "scratching around" or "appalling" or "panic buying" as another poster described it on the thread. It's sensible stuff for a big Champ club.
Barber insisted again in press reports yesterday that "work continues on securing our remaining targets"
I wish they were already in place too but this
looks good business with more deals to come.

As for the remaining targets, presumably a striker, left back etc and I suspect with a couple of large fees attached (if we're happy to pay 1.5m+ for Clayton or 1m for Stockdale then why wouldn't we be) then wait and see...Sami might not be able to motivate them, he might play the wrong system, he might not pick the best XI (Fenelon ahead of CMS????) , he might suffer from injuries but we are still slowly getting towards a competitive squad and this is another good addition.

NB: Poyet era was lucky with Bridge, even KLL , perhaps Jara/Mattock in loan deals but Painter, Vokes, Hammonds return ?
There was plenty of scepticism about Bridge before he arrived too.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
All the negativity stems from this chaps lack of senior competitive games.

I think it's fair to say he has ability and I for one am looking forward to seeing him. Bring it on!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here