James Wilson

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Far too "Roy of the Rovers" for me. His wonder goal was the best indication of this. The amount of times he had a better option but tried to go on his own. Only players like Rooney or Beckham have earnt the right to try and drag the team out of trouble on their own. No doubt he has talent and an eye for goal but drifts in and out of the game far too often. His dip in effort/form seemed to coincide with United recalling every one of their strikers on loan apart from him.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Absolutely not. He is nowhere near good enough. His form when he first joined us was clearly unsustainable.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
As others have mentioned don't underestimate the effect that his illness had on him. The fact that he threw up on the pitch and looked like he was blowing out of his arse after 5 minutes in numerous games proves that it had a detrimental effect on him. I would like us to take him again for the season.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
If CH wants him and we get him I will be pleased, think he has something more to offer. But if CH is not that fussed, then that is also fine with me.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
It's a no from me. We should move onwards and upwards.

With Anthony and Jiri, our strength is in crosses and set plays, therefore I would like both the strikers we sign this summer to be decent in the air. Ideally, one will be a fox-in-the-box finisher and one more of a target man to platoon with Tomer.

PG

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
My view is

+ fast, direct, good ball control, has a good shot on him, offers something (running onto a through ball) that we don't otherwise have

- doesn't really track back (though the last two times I saw him, he did more of this), doesn't like a 50/50 at all, lightweight, needs to calm down a bit when through on goal (but that's his yoof), is he over his illness?

If he is definitely over whatever he had/has, and bulks up somewhat over the summer (a la Lingard has), then I'd have him back.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Tony wants a top 2 finish next season, which to me means he's willing to spend the money to acquire the necessary players to achieve this. Wilson is not a necessary player to achieve this, I would imagine we're looking abroad at the moment to find the best value for performance player and someone to compliment Hemed.

I would imagine we'll be looking at someone to play off Hemed, who we have seen hold up the ball and thread some nice passes and unfortunately no one on the end of them or clinical enough to convert.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Seldom did enough to merit a place on the pitch, let alone a recall to Old Trafford. Maybe it was illness, and if CH saw enough in training to merit asking about another loan then that's his decision - but it wouldn't distress me if we never saw him again. One thing's for sure, Mourinho won't pick him.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Yes ......... Cannot see any reason not to he's quick and can score goals, agree he is a little lightweight but at only 20 he has time to develope so a summer of getting over the glandular fever followed by a good preseason I think he could be a star in the making

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
I recall when we were all nervous Utd would recall him. LvG reassuring the faithful that there was a recall clause when Utd fans seemed a little shocked they would loan out such a brilliant player to a Championship team...

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Was it long term illness or something more mundane, like being unsettled away from home, or disappointment at seeing a younger rival break through to the Man Utd first team and International squad ? Over all I agree with most he was disappointing and for whatever reason, I doubt he will be back.He showed in patches he has great pace, two good feet, great close control and a lovely finishing touch. What he didn't show was consistancy or a real desire to make a difference. I think he will go on to bigger and better things, but will look back at his time with us as a missed opportunity.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
He now has chance to get over any problems . Would sign him . Great potential. We create very little playing through middle and neither Baldock or Hemed are quick. Wilson playing with someone like Kodji would be great. Biggest problem we have is Hemed and Baldock cant hold on to ball when played into them

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Talented player. 20 years old. Already integrated into the team and style of play.

A massive YES.

Lightweight? Lazy?..... he is 20 years old and recovering from a virus ffs.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If we signed him it would be more in hope than expectation that he would improve. All this wishy-washy "illness" talk, I've not seen a single quote nailing down exactly what it was that was supposed to be wrong with him. Throwing up on the pitch on New Years Day is one thing, but when he's still looking lethargic and disinterested 5 months later at the sharp end of our season, questions needed to be asked and I never saw any satisfactory answers. We needed a player who could produce on the pitch, and in Wilson we did not have that. He turned out to be a massive let-down.

There are many more better options out there for us than taking another punt on Wilson next season and crossing our fingers, of that I am certain.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
It's a no from me... time to invest in someone who is ready now, not one who might take another season to hit consistent form...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports