Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] James Wilson [signs on loan until the end of the season]

Feb 14, 2010
Never seen him play and so we shall see. All we know is that he is not good enough for the Man United side at the moment and that doesnt make him eiether a good or a bad player. We shall see which end of the Ward to Tiltman scale he is. One thing about him coming to the Albion might be the size of our support. If you are training him to play for United then a part of that is playing in front of large crowds. Down at Brighton he will be playing to 23,000 to 30,000 instead of the average half empty grounds in the Championship.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Never seen him play and so we shall see. All we know is that he is not good enough for the Man United side at the moment and that doesnt make him eiether a good or a bad player. We shall see which end of the Ward to Tiltman scale he is.

Being in the MUFC set up for years, playing in the PL and being on the bench for a critical CL qualifier, and an England player at every level to U21 probably does mean he is a good player ?

Feb 14, 2010
Being in the MUFC set up for years, playing in the PL and being on the bench for a critical CL qualifier, and an England player at every level to U21 probably does mean he is a good player ?

Dont agree being at Man U kids means you are special. Nor being on the bench. Lingard didnt turn the season around last year and as for England Under 21 well Geoof Thomas played for the full England side. Wait and see eh. He like all the players have it all to prove.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I don't really follow Manchester United, is he any good? Similar to Patrick Bamford? Better?

I do follow United.
Yes, he is good.
No, he's not similar to Bamford.
Only time will tell if he's better.
He's extremely quick, and has a prodigious work rate. His movement is extremely good as well, although this has been said by me and others about Lingard several times on this forum, and disputed by the grumpy lot (even BT, MotD analysts are saying Lingard's movements good now). He knows where the net is.

Bloom's going for it. I wouldn't be surprised that, in addition to the season-long loan signing of Wilson, we see another forward/attacking player added in January. I have no idea whether this will materialise, but suspect it will now.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Never seen him play and so we shall see. All we know is that he is not good enough for the Man United side at the moment and that doesnt make him eiether a good or a bad player. We shall see which end of the Ward to Tiltman scale he is. One thing about him coming to the Albion might be the size of our support. If you are training him to play for United then a part of that is playing in front of large crowds. Down at Brighton he will be playing to 23,000 to 30,000 instead of the average half empty grounds in the Championship.

He came one v Arsenal in front of 60,000 - i don't think that's too much of an issue.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Dont agree being at Man U kids means you are special. Nor being on the bench. Lingard didnt turn the season around last year and as for England Under 21 well Geoof Thomas played for the full England side. Wait and see eh. He like all the players have it all to prove.

I know what you mean, but he's progressed through the kids to the first team - but seems not to be quite ready by LVG. I am more optimistic than pessimistic with this one - struggling to think of a better available loan signing we could have made given what we are missing - looks to me like a better version of Baldock who'll be keen to make his mark. Looking through all of today's business across the division, this is by far and away the stand-out deal.

Feb 14, 2010
I know what you mean, but he's progressed through the kids to the first team - but seems not to be quite ready by LVG. I am more optimistic than pessimistic with this one - struggling to think of a better available loan signing we could have made given what we are missing - looks to me like a better version of Baldock who'll be keen to make his mark. Looking through all of today's business across the division, this is by far and away the stand-out deal.

Wait and see. As Brian Clough told his centre forward "I pay you to score goals". Not interested in where he is from whether Newhaven Town or Man U or Real Madrid. The bottom line is whether the forward sticks the ball in the net. Running around off the ball doesnt make a striker and how tall they are is also irrelevant. A striker makes space in the box, looks up (where most go wrong) and sticks the ball away from the keeper, calmly into the net. The bad one's just whack it as hard as they can and normally hit the post or keeper as a result. Pace can be handy but really, its an ability to look up and strike a ball in the net within the box is what makes a striker. That's what made a Ward and for young fans, why Murray is a striker of note and CMS tried hard but wasn't. This lad will be judged on goals. Nothing else. I'm sure he knows it, but that's it. We shall see.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The lad has got to go into the starting XI with Zamora on Saturday.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
There are a few videos. He looks a bit like Peter Ward did in style. Left foot is his first choice.

Looks like he could play the deep lying striker (false number 9) or the striker on the shoulder of the defender.

A bit like Texeira but with a better eye for goal. I expect he would get marked and closed down as quickly at Tex was, and he will have the same problems keeping hold of the ball.

Last edited:

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Great signing, although a knowledgeable Brum supporter seems baffled as to why we needed him. We've got "about 10" strikers apparently. "Truly see no point whatsoever in having so many, Baldock, Hemed, Murphy, Manu, Zamora, Colunga, Akindayini."

http://www.smallheathalliance.com/read.php?1,1906522

"James Vaughan is a better player than James Wilson right now and a proven goalscorer in this league."

:tantrum:

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
As stated here already, he's got pedigree, but has to step up and do it in every game now. That is a different challenge from promising cameos. On the plus side there can be little doubt about his talent. The negative may be a tendency to niggling injuries. He should be fit, but I hope we start carefully with him and build up his strength for playing multiple consecutive games.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
That goal where he dribbles the ball from his own half is absolutely amazing. The speed of the kid is incredible

DataPoint

Mar 31, 2015
Looking forward to seeing Jack and James, Real Madrid and Manchester United wonderkids, playing in the same Albion side. Could it happen?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here