Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I've just bought an iMac and it's brilliant....

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Yes but if you buy a Mac and run WIndows, why buy a Mac in the first place ? Because it looks pretty ? :facepalm:

Yes, yes yes, I have said it half a dozen times on this thread, that is exactly why I am going to buy an iMac.
The same as I did with my car, I bought a car that is dearer than most of its comparables, it is less economical, less practical and has less room for passengers, but I bought it because I though it looked better than the Ford/Citroen/Renault/Vauxhall/etc alternatives.

And when I buy a suit, I buy suits that IMO I think look better than cheap ones, there are cheaper ones, ones that might even last longer, but I buy the one I like the look of. Same with shoes, I buy the ones I like, they are almost always more expensive than the standard ones, they don't last as long, they leak, they perform poorly in icy conditions (as I found out recently) but I bought them because they look good (IMO of course)

My house costs me an arm and a leg in mortgage payments, but I love it, it is in a lovely location, it is really nicely decorated, has nice things in it, it has loads of rooms I never use, the garden is massive, but I rarely go out there, but I love it. (NB, this is all subjective, you might not like my house, or think it is that lovely or impressive, but I do, it's mine, and in this instance it is my opinion that matters)

So I will probably buy an iMac. Bear in mind that I have investigated its suitability to run the software I need to run (Windows software), I have checked it has enough RAMs, Buttons on the Mouse, and big enough HDDs. It has a nice big telly so I can see things in great detail, which I need for my job, and it takes up very little room in my lovely office in my lovely house.

So please understand, I am choosing it because it looks great and comfortably does everything I need it to do (run CAD & Design software). I am making a choice based on form and function, just because it is not the choice you would make surely does not mean it is the wrong choice.

Surely you can understand that, we're not all driving around in Kias, Protons and Peroduas, wearing Tesco suits and Brantanos half price shoes are we? There is nothing intrinsically wrong with any of those things if that is what you want, but it doesn't make the person who chooses Gresham Blake for his suit, BMW for his car or Apple for his computer that difficult to understand does it?

(NB, I do not buy Gresham Blake suits (I wish I could afford them), and my car is not a BMW, it is much nicer)

parks

Jan 17, 2004
East Sussex
Originally Posted by willyfantastic
i prefer the look of this, and they are touch screen with blu-ray players, with good specs, probably cost half as much too, plus if you dont like the keyboard and mouse you could just buy another.

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

Well:

Virus checker, no iphoto, no face recognition, no bluetooth aluminium keyboard....but most important of all nothing saying:

APPLE

Oh the Apple is £200 more...but worth it!

One of the reviews I found:

Jan 5 2010 - ASUS has really surprised the all-in-one market by putting out a n affordable high definition media station in the EeeTop PC ET2203T. With a dedicated graphics processor, 21.6-inch 1920x1080 display and Blu-ray drive, the system can easily handle playback of the latest Blu-ray movies. The touchscreen feature is nice when browsing the web but the lack of multitouch really limits it. Performance is also a bit lackluster for those hoping for a performance system like an iMac. Still, it is nice to see something more than a glorified net workstation.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Virus checker, no iphoto, no face recognition, no bluetooth aluminium keyboard....but most important of all nothing saying:

APPLE

Jan 5 2010 - ASUS has really surprised the all-in-one market by putting out a n affordable high definition media station in the EeeTop PC ET2203T. With a dedicated graphics processor, 21.6-inch 1920x1080 display and Blu-ray drive, the system can easily handle playback of the latest Blu-ray movies. The touchscreen feature is nice when browsing the web but the lack of multitouch really limits it. Performance is also a bit lackluster for those hoping for a performance system like an iMac. Still, it is nice to see something more than a glorified net workstation.

f*** off is it worth it, all you are doing is paying for the f***ing logo. bull shit.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
Originally Posted by willyfantastic
i prefer the look of this, and they are touch screen with blu-ray players, with good specs, probably cost half as much too, plus if you dont like the keyboard and mouse you could just buy another.

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

Well:

APPLE

id like to know who did that review. if you want a performance mac, you buy the mac pro. and theres nothing worse out there than the apple keyboards, it feels like your typing in treacle.... and the new keyboards look like a rolled up newspaper. their mice are equally horrible, and the new magicmouse is a shambles. both have had very mixed reviews, so i wudnt touch em. i dont use iphoto, i didnt use it on my mac laptop either as it took forever to load up photos, i just dragged and dropped my pictures from my camera connected to my pc, into the folder of my choice, in my opinion you dont even need extra software to do something like that.

to be honest, if i wanted to spend £1225 (for a lower-middle range imac) on a computer, and wanted it to look pretty, id either build my own pc (with specs that would make the imac look antique, and have it look just how i want to) or just buy that asus ee top (or another 'pretty' looking desktop pc) and upgrade some of the parts with £400 worth of hardware to again, make it superior performance-wise to the imac

auschr

Apr 19, 2009
USA
if you want a computer that does emails, surfs the net and stores music, just buy a computer from 1998

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here