Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I've just bought an iMac and it's brilliant....

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
well you could either buy the new acer ee pcs which are exactly the same but for less money and the screen is touch screen, then install OSX on it, or just buy a good pc for less and put osx on it. either way, every apple computer is a ripoff considering the stuff they put inside them.

im happy u didnt get a mac laptop tho, as their batteries run out after about a year

p.s. i have had a powerbook, and everybody in my family uses apple computers so im not ignorant. i just dont like them, its so slow for internet browsing compared to windows, and people who buy them only use things like word/itunes etc you can get on windows anyway. i know they dont crash, which is great, but once you get a big problem, its normally format time. with pcs you can normally fix it yourself easily.

Last edited:

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Macs where special and "think different" when they ran the G5 processor. Now they run on Intel, Mac in my opinion is no longer unique as you can get a near same set up and build a machine yourself.

There are now also projects out there that allow you to install OSX without buying a Mac.
Install OS X on Your Hackintosh PC, No Hacking Required - Hackintosh - Lifehacker

So the appeal of owning a Mac has worn off for me personally. Also running Ubuntu I can't see what extra's I would get my buying a Mac apart from getting a native version of Photoshop and Dreamweaver and some games.

But if you have always used Windows, this Mac will be a breath of fresh air from the MS rubbish.

parks

Jan 17, 2004
East Sussex
Not only that, yes more expensive, but I pay £30/£40 a year for McAfee, so say over 5 years that's £150/£200 saved...now not looking so expensive. Look I have three, two Windows Laptops and a new Mac...and it might be the novelty of it but the Mac is the best by miles.

But it was no good at getting a win for us today!

Prodigal Son

Getting older by the day
Sep 21, 2009
Sussex
The wife uses the stuff to remove the hairs from her legs. Swears by it!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Can I ask why? (not wanting to start a binfest honest, just seems odd to me)

I don't think that is binfestery, I have considered this very carefully. The iMac is a powerful bit of kit, looks wonderful, has a great screen and takes up very little space on your desk. I use exclusively Windows software that is not available for Mac and now that iMac will run Windows natively it is what I am going to do. I admit, I will be buying it because it just looks so damn cool (IMO) and it is a powerful enough bit of kit.

once you go mac you never go back!

switched from pc to mac about a year ago - would never ever switch back. so much nicer to use.

Each has different experiences. I have had 2 Macs over the past 15 years or so (PowerPC and an iMac), apart from the fact that the software I used migrated away from Macs for whatever reason (Number crunching was the reason given in the old days) I really never did get on with the OS (I used whatever was around before X and OSX) and found them limiting in what was available to run on them. Not everyone wants to touch up photos, and mix video or music.

ah well it's become a binfest already anyway

just wondered what the thing is other than them being a bit sexy. I can see that myself, they are, but after that all I care about is the software these machines run. Do Macs do that better?

As I mentioned above, sexy it a large part of it, plus its quite a convenient design too. And now that they can run W7 (or XP or Vista) properly, then the answer is, yes, it will run software well or better if you go for a more powerful model to your old PC.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Macs are okay and get fewer viruses that is true. They do get just as much Spyware though, not many Mac users realise that. As far as it goes I have Windows 7 and wouldn't say it was any better or worse than a Mac operating system. The advantage a Windows machine gives people over a Mac is the vast array of software that is a available to PC owners. Right now I am testing Office 2010 for my employer and thus far I'm very impressed. Mac users will have to wait two years to get a scaled down version.

One is not better than the other, it's just a matter of personal choice. Oh yes, ever tried to upgrade Mac hardware ?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Totally agree.......If your going to run Windows 7 why get a Mac ?

Doesnt make sense !

It does, a bit. It is a great looking bit of kit, far nicer than any PC, it is convenient, all in one box, look smart in your modern home office, it has a great screen, super silky mouse and keyboard, and pretty good specs regarding performance. On top of that, if you are into your music, videos, photography and iPod and stuff, then you have the bonus of OSX if you want it.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
It does, a bit. It is a great looking bit of kit, far nicer than any PC, it is convenient, all in one box, look smart in your modern home office, it has a great screen, super silky mouse and keyboard, and pretty good specs regarding performance. On top of that, if you are into your music, videos, photography and iPod and stuff, then you have the bonus of OSX if you want it.

You're right about the looks, I mean, who wouldn't want a florescent coloured computer ? I get the impression that most Mac users last used a PC at Windows 3.11. I can do all of the above (frankly what it looks like is a matter of personal taste). I can upgrade my machine, tune it, have a good choice of soft and hardware and it'll cost me less. Not a lot of incentive to buy a Mac is there ?

Incidentally the latest desktop PCs can be all in one with wireless keyboard and mouse, I've used an HP recently, just doesn't suit me as I am about to do a large internal upgrade. Also, sorry but why is OSX better than Windows ? I suppose if you prefer to be limited to what software you can have and pay more for the privilege it's a good idea. Of course when you consider the things you can't do or the software you can have but with much of it not working.

Last edited:

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
really...you work in the media industry do you?

Gotta laugh when people get so angry about these things haven't ya?

I'm no expert on computers, but I've had 3 laptops, the 3rd being my current Macbook which I've had for about 2 & a half years now.
All I can say is that I've had no problems with it at all. I like the way you turn it on & it's so quick to start, there are no viruses, I bought the wondows office thingy for it so all my work stuff can get done too.
I love it, but each to their own.
I think the marketing gets up peoples noses, as with everything!
Gotta admit, those Apple stores are so nice & shiny!

Bought mine in the States & the slales assistants are so wierd. "It'll change your life" I was told when I bought it.......it hasn't!

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009

i prefer the look of this, and they are touch screen with blu-ray players, with good specs, probably cost half as much too, plus if you dont like the keyboard and mouse you could just buy another. On top of that, if you are into your music, videos, photography and iPod and stuff, then you have the bonus of OSX if you want it.:

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
i prefer the look of this, and they are touch screen with blu-ray players, with good specs, probably cost half as much too, plus if you dont like the keyboard and mouse you could just buy another. On top of that, if you are into your music, videos, photography and iPod and stuff, then you have the bonus of OSX if you want it.:

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

Hate to tell you, you can get all of that with a PC except it'll be more flexible and cheaper. Why is it that Mac users assume that they can do things that PCs can't ? As a matter of fact where I'm working now (it's in the tourist industry with a lot of graphics work) the handful Macs are being replaced with PCs because there are too many things that a Mac can't do because the software we need isn't available for Macs.

Oh yes, they're cheaper as well.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
Hate to tell you, you can get all of that with a PC except it'll be more flexible and cheaper. Why is it that Mac users assume that they can do things that PCs can't ? As a matter of fact where I'm working now (it's in the tourist industry with a lot of graphics work) the handful Macs are being replaced with PCs because there are too many things that a Mac can't do because the software we need isn't available for Macs.

Oh yes, they're cheaper as well.

its a pc.......

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
You're right about the looks, I mean, who wouldn't want a florescent coloured computer ? I get the impression that most Mac users last used a PC at Windows 3.11. I can do all of the above (frankly what it looks like is a matter of personal taste). I can upgrade my machine, tune it, have a good choice of soft and hardware and it'll cost me less. Not a lot of incentive to buy a Mac is there ?

Incidentally the latest desktop PCs can be all in one with wireless keyboard and mouse, I've used an HP recently, just doesn't suit me as I am about to do a large internal upgrade. Also, sorry but why is OSX better than Windows ? I suppose if you prefer to be limited to what software you can have and pay more for the privilege it's a good idea. Of course when you consider the things you can't do or the software you can have but with much of it not working.

To be fair, the latest iMac is hardly flourescent now is it? On th eother points I agree with you just about 100%, which is whay I will run W7 on mine if I buy one. And I cannot find anything a Mac can do that a PC can't, so it's about preference really, for the reasons I mentioned before.

i prefer the look of this, and they are touch screen with blu-ray players, with good specs, probably cost half as much too, plus if you dont like the keyboard and mouse you could just buy another.

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

I have to say, that is quite nice, not seen it before. Well priced, espcially for a touchscreen too, not that I can see any use for that at all for what I use a PC for. I might take a look at one "in the flesh" but my initial thoughs are, it's nice, but is it as nice as the iMac?

QVuVn61ysDtRmfFC_500.jpg

apple_imac_20.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here