Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It's going to be Hughton isn't it...

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Then again- to go by the tweets sent after he resigned- the same would appear to be the case with Sami Hyypia. The players could have said nothing, but instead, several of them were quite nice about him.

It is significant that Hughton had a 50% win rate at Newcastle so was able to combine the 'nice guy' attribute with being an effective manager. Many Toon fans felt he was treated unfairly and were sorry to see him leave. Whereas Hyypia at the Albion - a nice guy, but crucially lacking the magic touch as manager.

I also wonder if the Albion players were not only expressing their feelings about Hyypia but also hinting a degree of regret that another Albion manager has moved on somewhat ahead of schedule and victim of the circumstances i.e. having to work with a Director of Football, FFP and unwanted transfer deals. The players must be aware of the dynamics behind the scenes and maybe find this frustrating too. The lack of continuity over the last 22 months hasn't been ideal and many aspirations have been dashed, for now.

At least the decks have been cleared for the next incumbent and hopefully we will see an upturn in everyone's morale. I'm sure that a nice guy like Hughton must have his fiery moments behind closed doors but certainly gives the impression of being a decent man, capable of winning over the dressing room. Whereas someone like Pulis is probably less worried about being popular, just focused on doing a more clinical job on the pitch.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
I'm worried Hughton would be a nightmare appointment. Hope I'm wrong.

I'd much rather Sherwood or Rosler. We need passion to get out of this mess IMO. A passionate manager will spread passion to the fans and players. We showed on Boxing day what a bit of passion can do. Now if we mix that with a manager with experience and tactical knowledge... bingo.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

I'd much rather Sherwood or Rosler. We need passion to get out of this mess IMO. A passionate manager will spread passion to the fans and players. We showed on Boxing day what a bit of passion can do. Now if we mix that with a manager with experience and tactical knowledge... bingo.
Sherwood or Rosler or anyone else could also turn out to be 'a nightmare appointment'.

We don't know how things will unfold, so best not worry about the new man being a disaster at this stage.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I dont buy that, if a decent opportunity arises ......

I do, he has had a shitty time in last few seasons. Probably wants some time out of the limelight, at a club he loves.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Hughton ticks a lot of boxes and comes across as a decent bloke but the way he oversaw a consistent slump at Norwich is a major concern. I think we really need someone to galvanize the squad.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Sherwood, tactical knowledge? I've heard it all now!

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
Hughton had the likes of Caroll, Nolan, Barton, Collocini and Harper to name but a few in his squad. I'm not saying it's simple to get promoted with any squad however I'd like to think any half decent manager would have got them up.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Hughton ticks a lot of boxes and comes across as a decent bloke but the way he oversaw a consistent slump at Norwich is a major concern. I think we really need someone to galvanize the squad.

A slump similar to ours where there was limited investment into the playing side of things by Delia and her cronies.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Hughton had the likes of Caroll, Nolan, Barton, Collocini and Harper to name but a few in his squad. I'm not saying it's simple to get promoted with any squad however I'd like to think any half decent manager would have got them up.

Did he bring any of those in or were they already there when he arrived?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Words from a Norwich fan:

"He'll get alienate/get rid of any midfielders capable of passing a football and replace them with tackly lads who'll stay in position, ruin your strikers, but probably keep you up."

As we do not have any midfielders that can pass consistently and none of our strikers are capable of scoring it seems like a perfect fit. Expect us to sign Gardner permanently and to see a lot of JFC playing a holding role.

:down:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

"He'll get alienate/get rid of any midfielders capable of passing a football and replace them with tackly lads who'll stay in position, ruin your strikers, but probably keep you up."

As we do not have any midfielders that can pass consistently and none of our strikers are capable of scoring it seems like a perfect fit. Expect us to sign Gardner permanently and to see a lot of JFC playing a holding role.

The more I hear and think about this guy the more I do not want the guy here.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Getting rid of Sami's has already kept us up.
This squad could finish mid table without a manager.
I want an organiser that will help us get promoted next season.
CH could just be that man.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

The problem with this is that you can always find a fan who'll have a negative opinion of any manager.

We could easily find negative comments on here about Sami, Oscar, Gus, Slade, etc through every manager of recent times. We need to look deeper at the evidence.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Getting rid of Sami's has already kept us up.
This squad could finish mid table without a manager.
I want an organiser that will help us get promoted next season.
CH could just be that man.
It's the season of turgid football after I'm worried about.

Pj2000

Jan 2, 2012
Worthing
I Heard it break from my seat .

That's my memory too , Gerry was a great player for the Albion . I always remember hearing his leg break and saw it happen right in front of me . Anyway have to move on too. Wait and see .

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Can't deny I've not read much to get excited about, but then none of the "sensible" names have been much more exciting ... we might get cornered into a best of a bad bunch hire

Seem's like it, just hope we are going for some off the radar person and we all go aaaarrrrrggghh YES get in.....

Not gonna happen though is it.

To be honest, if we are going for the likes of Hughton I would rather we gave Nathan a chance, I liked the gee in them up in a suit strolling around after the game clapping in the rain.... I am a sucker for all that shit

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here